OP Minimise and FB

Last night I saw a post on FB, something along the lines of "RIP Channing, I didn't know her but my thoughts are with her family..." in one of the groups devoted to the AMS. Didn't have a clue what it was about until this morning when it was announced in the press. The post has since been removed so someone somewhere must have had a word with the OP.

I know there are some head dobbers out there, but really, does it take the brains of a rocket scientist to realise that if it's not been reported in the press yet, it shouldn't be blasted all over the social media?:pissedoff:

Rant over.

Z

Zarathustra

I've seen it on some of my mates pages when one of our lads was killed, as well as wives/girlfriends posting flight numbers, dates and times when we deployed.

Some people just really are stupid beyond belief, although I think the majority of cases are families of rather than soldiers themselves posting.

G

gladwda

That's thick. If they're wishing them peace anyway after such a tragedy, surely it is counter intuitive to mess with their families by releasing their name preemptively? Especially if the family hasn't been notified.

I've seen it on some of my mates pages when one of our lads was killed, as well as wives/girlfriends posting flight numbers, dates and times when we deployed.

Some people just really are stupid beyond belief, although I think the majority of cases are families of rather than soldiers themselves posting.
That was the most amazing thing, the OP is ex-Forces, was in my basic training troop and finished her 22 as a WO2, you'd think she'd know better.

I think it's because once the NoK has been informed, there is a 24hr grace for press release. It could therefore be possible for a family friend to post on FB, within that 24hr period and beat the press.

It's happened before and I'm sure it will happen again.

RiP

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
On the other hand, it depends where that news came from in the first place. Minimise is intended to prevent the families from being informed via media. If the fb status updates originated from the family, then minimise has still accomplished its mission.

Arrse is not exempt. There was a post that clearly indicated that one if the casualties was female. No name but still info that was not in the public domain at the time

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Z

Zarathustra

On the other hand, it depends where that news came from in the first place. Minimise is intended to prevent the families from being informed via media. If the fb status updates originated from the family, then minimise has still accomplished its mission.
To be honest I doubt the first thing families think of when someone has been killed is to jump on Faceache. All the examples I've seen have been either serving, former-serving or one of the wives.

M

MrsBee

I never understood the rush to write a RIP post, I've know some of the lads that have died recently. I've not made a RIP post or a FB status about it. I post a sympathy card in the post to the house on behalf of me and Mrbee, I sometimes attend the service if I can. I personally hate going alone as I am just the wife but have done so recently.

Only real option is perhaps to extend the media blackout period and ensure that for at least that period of time the only way the news spreads is from NoK once informed at least until the media then finds out.

I disagree that people are only 'well wishing' just to jump on the bandwagon however. Since any loss of life affects everyone somehow since we are all of mankind

That's thick. If they're wishing them peace anyway after such a tragedy, surely it is counter intuitive to mess with their families by releasing their name preemptively? Especially if the family hasn't been notified.
They aren't "wishing them peace". They're getting off on the excitement of it, and trying to score points by letting everyone know that they're "in the club".

RIP walting.

To be honest I doubt the first thing families think of when someone has been killed is to jump on Faceache. All the examples I've seen have been either serving, former-serving or one of the wives.
I think that the advent of social media has changed that....in the past numerous phone calls would be made using a telephone with a dial ....now you can tell everyone at the push of a button..and the people you tell then tell the people they know ...... and so it goes on.

Z

Zarathustra

I think that the advent of social media has changed that....in the past numerous phone calls would be made using a telephone with a dial ....now you can tell everyone at the push of a button..and the people you tell then tell the people they know ...... and so it goes on.
Maybe for the extended family, but I doubt many of the pads wives are facebook friends with the cousins of pte x.

They aren't "wishing them peace". They're getting off on the excitement of it, and trying to score points by letting everyone know that they're "in the club".

RIP walting.
Everyone is entitled to show their 'thoughts' yes, it's ghoulish but that's social media do you. Grief whoring has been the norm ever since the Diana saga. No point getting outraged by it,

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Her name and photo appeared on my FB last night via mutual acquaintances. The thread had originated with a very close relative.

Many people live and communicate on social media - they are e-natives and they think it's natural to put it all out there and don't stop to think about the consequences.

I also noticed something else on arrse. Some people seemed to want to be the first with details. I don't know if they want to big themselves up by showing that they are in the loop or substantiate their grief by demonstrating their closeness to the victims

Or perhaps they are confused with their emotions and feel that what they are doing is the appropriate way to express them. I don't think it is.

I don't think it is. I think people should stick to what has been published. I know some arrsers don't like RIP threads but it seams to me that they are an appropriate way for friends to express their grief and for others to pay their respects.

Z

Zarathustra

Her name and photo appeared on my FB last night via mutual acquaintances. The thread had originated with a very close relative.

Many people live and communicate on social media - they are e-natives and they think it's natural to put it all out there and don't stop to think about the consequences.

I also noticed something else on arrse. Some people seemed to want to be the first with details. I don't know if they want to big themselves up by showing that they are in the loop or substantiate their grief by demonstrating their closeness to the victims

Or perhaps they are confused with their emotions and feel that what they are doing is the appropriate way to express them. I don't think it is.

I don't think it is. I think people should stick to what has been published. I know some arrsers don't like RIP threads but it seams to me that they are an appropriate way for friends to express their grief and for others to pay their respects.
I understand that but serving and ex-serving should know better and they should be educating their wives/gfs about it.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
The families might not go on Facebook straightaway, but the close friend/next door neighbour might.
From experience of watching a relative making the notification phone call to the various extended family and friends, telling the same painful story repeatedly is traumatic enough, not to mention fielding inevitable questions or hearing the anguish at the other end.
Finally, while It might be distasteful to some, seeing the commiseration note can be helpful to the loved one, in the same way that birthday wishes are exchanged.

I don't post on RIP threads, not my style, but neither would I sign a book of condolence for someone I didn't know. Some do want to, and I don't hold that against them. But to RIP on a social media site before it's made public knowledge through the press is just crass in my mind. I know that the mother of one of the girl's best friends, who is also out in Afghanistan, found out through a FB post as her daughter hadn't been able to get in touch with her beforehand.

There's no nice way to be told of a death, but to read it on a social media site can't be any better than hearing it on the news.

Latest Threads