OP Minimise and FB

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Grey_Mafia65, Oct 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last night I saw a post on FB, something along the lines of "RIP Channing, I didn't know her but my thoughts are with her family..." in one of the groups devoted to the AMS. Didn't have a clue what it was about until this morning when it was announced in the press. The post has since been removed so someone somewhere must have had a word with the OP.

I know there are some head dobbers out there, but really, does it take the brains of a rocket scientist to realise that if it's not been reported in the press yet, it shouldn't be blasted all over the social media?:pissedoff:

Rant over.
    • Like Like x 7
  2. I've seen it on some of my mates pages when one of our lads was killed, as well as wives/girlfriends posting flight numbers, dates and times when we deployed.

Some people just really are stupid beyond belief, although I think the majority of cases are families of rather than soldiers themselves posting.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. That's thick. If they're wishing them peace anyway after such a tragedy, surely it is counter intuitive to mess with their families by releasing their name preemptively? Especially if the family hasn't been notified.
  4. That was the most amazing thing, the OP is ex-Forces, was in my basic training troop and finished her 22 as a WO2, you'd think she'd know better.
  5. I think it's because once the NoK has been informed, there is a 24hr grace for press release. It could therefore be possible for a family friend to post on FB, within that 24hr period and beat the press.

It's happened before and I'm sure it will happen again.

6. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

On the other hand, it depends where that news came from in the first place. Minimise is intended to prevent the families from being informed via media. If the fb status updates originated from the family, then minimise has still accomplished its mission.
  7. Arrse is not exempt. There was a post that clearly indicated that one if the casualties was female. No name but still info that was not in the public domain at the time

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
  8. To be honest I doubt the first thing families think of when someone has been killed is to jump on Faceache. All the examples I've seen have been either serving, former-serving or one of the wives.
  9. I never understood the rush to write a RIP post, I've know some of the lads that have died recently. I've not made a RIP post or a FB status about it. I post a sympathy card in the post to the house on behalf of me and Mrbee, I sometimes attend the service if I can. I personally hate going alone as I am just the wife but have done so recently.
  10. And it's idiots who do that which mean op minimise has to exist in the first place.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Only real option is perhaps to extend the media blackout period and ensure that for at least that period of time the only way the news spreads is from NoK once informed at least until the media then finds out.

I disagree that people are only 'well wishing' just to jump on the bandwagon however. Since any loss of life affects everyone somehow since we are all of mankind
    • Like Like x 1
  12. They aren't "wishing them peace". They're getting off on the excitement of it, and trying to score points by letting everyone know that they're "in the club".

RIP walting.
    • Like Like x 8
  13. I think that the advent of social media has changed that....in the past numerous phone calls would be made using a telephone with a dial ....now you can tell everyone at the push of a button..and the people you tell then tell the people they know ...... and so it goes on.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Maybe for the extended family, but I doubt many of the pads wives are facebook friends with the cousins of pte x.
  15. Everyone is entitled to show their 'thoughts' yes, it's ghoulish but that's social media do you. Grief whoring has been the norm ever since the Diana saga. No point getting outraged by it,