OP MI Managers - Info reqd

MOD - can we move this one now?????

Shok said:
Cheers ppl! Now in touch with mothership ;-)

Now if i could have put money on ownership of first PM...... :D
First bit of information is not to use txt spk here, moron. Second bit of advice you should consider about the OP MI Managers is the location of the Senior Instructor's office for when you are RTU'd you dark side penis.

Another eloquent and erudite reply worthy of any dim-sider, H_B. I think we would all like to thank you for your tremendous contribution to the thread/site. Thank you for letting us know that abbreviations have been oulawed and under no circumstances should anybody make any attempts at brevity when adding posts. Now why don;t you take your head for a defecation. You may find a dictionary or thesaurus useful at this point and I point you in the general direction of the library a place I doubt you have seen the inside of since you were lost on arriving at your unit.

No adequate library here my friend, this is an operational unit. I comment as I see fit, as others do - do not judge me harshly. I, like many, am a soldier, I do not waste time in superfluous tittle-tattle about courses, arse-wipings and the like. If you don't like my tone, ignore it, but allow me the chance to voice it, as others are allowed to. Don't know when your time was, but mine is surely more recent...

Hibs_Bez said:
Don't know when your time was, but mine is surely more recent...[/quote]

Again another false assumption; I hope your 'operational' output is better than this.

You ask not to be judged harshly yet feel free to criticise sineone else as a'dark-side penis'! Please make the nasty dark-sider go away!!

HB said:
I, like many, am a soldier
In 20 years time you might like to ponder:
" you can take the soldier out of the Army, but can you take the soldier out of the man?"
Have Lofty Wiseman or Ken Connor suddenly become civvies overnight??
Do I suddenly.... always sit with my back to the door in the pub?

Hibs_Bez said:
....... Don't know when your time was, but mine is surely more recent...
Just a gentle reminder that valuable currency in current operations, will contribute to building a depth of operational experience.
Old gits may also remember AFVs getting blown into the air daily, by IEDs.
They may also remember days in theatre where double digits of innocent people or comrades were killed:

La Mon House Hotel
Warrenspoint / Lord Mountbatten
Sir Gallaghad
SeaKing
US Marine base Beirut
Chinook
Khobar Towers

They may also remember helping the widows stuggle through alchoholism for years and doing what they can, between deployments, to help their dead mates kids grow into well balenced young adults.

Do you cancel the Regimental dinner as a mark of respect?
Do you proceed with the Regimental dinner as a mark of respect?

Doubtless, topics already covered on the Op MI Managers' course.

Well said sub.

Poignant and very true observations, Subb. Certainly things to think about, and the OPMI Mgrs' Cse is an excellent opportunity to discuss these matters.

I think the course has come on leaps and bounds since I did mine, but there is still ample scope for improvement. It may be worth looking at other Corps' and Regiments' WO CLM courses, to see how they approach the subject - or are we going to continue to make it up as we go along?

Well said Sub. I believe there have been some alterations to the course again this year and that it is only 2 weeks long with no requirement for Bergan and webbing. Look forward to hearing what it was like when Shok et al get back.

deerhunter said:
Poignant and very true observations, Subb. Certainly things to think about, and the OPMI Mgrs' Cse is an excellent opportunity to discuss these matters.

I think the course has come on leaps and bounds since I did mine, but there is still ample scope for improvement. It may be worth looking at other Corps' and Regiments' WO CLM courses, to see how they approach the subject - or are we going to continue to make it up as we go along?
The whole CLM process is undergoing one of its regular reviews shortly/at the mo. The idea is to detect best prac, common to all A and S. So some of the good things of the OpMI Managers course will no doubt find their way into other courses and vice versa. I saw a very impressive powerpoint about this-obviously designed by a management consultant as I couldn't really figure out what it was all about, but it looked good :)

ashford_old_school said:
Well said Sub. I believe there have been some alterations to the course again this year and that it is only 2 weeks long with no requirement for Bergan and webbing. Look forward to hearing what it was like when Shok et al get back.
Am already looking forward to the "it's not like it used to be" snipes :D

Hibs_Bez said:
Shok said:
Cheers ppl! Now in touch with mothership ;-)

Now if i could have put money on ownership of first PM...... :D
First bit of information is not to use txt spk here, moron. Second bit of advice you should consider about the OP MI Managers is the location of the Senior Instructor's office for when you are RTU'd you dark side penis.
Sorry, and you are?
Redarse!

Shok said:
ashford_old_school said:
Am already looking forward to the "it's not like it used to be" snipes :D
Well if it isn;t like it used to be it willprobably be for the better.

ashford_old_school said:
Well if it isn;t like it used to be it will probably be for the better.
Depends which end of the telescope you stand at.
Personally I felt the move to Brecon smacked of creeping-excellence, with perhaps a smidge' of waltishness. Having seen how easy it is to weed hardened infanteers and Commandos on an interesting two-week course, on a flat camp right next the the heart of rail and motorway network, I still remain to be convinced..

How much training time to you loose travelling there and back?

Perhaps we were shorter of WO2s in my day and needed to make allowances for diabetics, those with one kidney or no knee cartlidge left?
A few days in Stelling Minnis used to be enough to cut out the dead wood back then. .........Mr Sniffles

Myself I'd move to Stamford and wake them up gently by softly whispering
"get out of bed and start doing sit-ups"

Funny how none of the infantry regts feel the need to put their offcers through a field WOs course. They tend to get treated a little more respectably than our Corps has in the past. Then again I did ask for a stretcher race once a week and a BFT every morning when I finished mine!!!

The whole Brecon thing seemed to me to be the Inf element of the Trg Wg's way of saying "this is what we do, you will now do a shorter punchier version" - and I've heard any number of ways of justifying it.

In exactly the same way as other corps' pre-CLM efforts, my D&D was just a badly concocted course featuring a short but very do-able exercise which tested WO2s-in-waiting in the art of being Inf Sect Comds. (Yes I know it provides a means of individual assessment and gives everyone a command appt, but did we really need that as pre-selected (or otherwise experienced SSgts?)).

From the sound of things the new course seems a breath of fresh air. Ignore the "in my day..." comments, it doesn't mean the course or assessment was ever any better, just different and possibly more draconian...

Guys, enjoy the course, learn from it, and be better WO2s for your guys and your Corps.

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
ok, one for the old and bolder - what did the old SM&D consist of?
Have n't a clue

The D+D1 included Drill, but lots of emphasis on driving the squad + organising drill related activities. incl funerals .

As a newly promoted WO2 I was sent off to an individual training establishment where I was required to march round squads of up to 200 on a bad day. My directing flanks were held up as an example to a Foot Guards WO2 on the DS!

Fitness and exercises* designed to weed out those who were either unfit or uncomitted.

* the battle of Densole and a Stelling Minnis bunker too far. Obligatory stretcher race etc

Scenario based exercises based on some pithy examples of typical problems a WO2 in the corps would have to deal with. Included Mil discipline, Redress of Grievance ( yes we had them then) Aftercare Incident Report etc.

"The role of the Warrant Officer" in the British Army, by the Academy Sergeant Major. Best presentation on the course all the DS and other SBCOs squeezed in the back of the room, naturally a top bloke, followed by a Silver Lunch ( designed to weed out those who were uncomitted)

Student presentations on your unit

"The role of a Warrant Officer in the Corps - an officer's perspective" I kid you not no one had ever turned up to give this talk.

Add Regimental Dinner and await parchment warrant in post.
Also a great opportunity to network with your peers :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sojer-bhoy REME 35
Arai Int Corps 20
bullshit Royal Signals 18