Op Kipion???

Has anyone heard of this Op. Talking to a mate yesterday, he was of the opinion that Op Kipion was the new name for Op Telic which finishes in May this year. Anyone know anything different.

Also, does anyone know if the RLC has any bods left serving in Iraq at the moment??

Thanks

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Op KIPION - BFPOs 632, 639, 643, 684, 767
Op TELIC - BFPOs 632, 639, 643, 684 & 767

Think that answers it, well half of it.

Will this lead to another medal thread???? ; )

Given that the BFPOs will be staffed by RLC posties, you have answered all of it.

Shiny

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thank you kind sir. ;-)

BFPO 684 is the British Embassy in Baghdad and there are no posties there. Nor are there any in Umm Qasr at the NTM-I. Can't think of any other post's in Iraq that will be staffed by Brits or RLC. Maybe i'm wrong though!

OP KIPION will reflect that the SoFA with the Iraqi Government ceases sometime soon (01 May 11?), as a result the 2 operations the RN (and wider UK Forces) have been working under - OP TELIC, north of 29N inside the Arabian Gulf and OP CALASH - everywhere else with CJOs JOA, have been collapsed into one.

B

Bottleosmoke

BFPO 684 is the British Embassy in Baghdad and there are no posties there. Nor are there any in Umm Qasr at the NTM-I. Can't think of any other post's in Iraq that will be staffed by Brits or RLC. Maybe i'm wrong though!
You may have an RLC driver or 2 working in CP Teams but thats about all.

I've been led to believe that the award of the Iraq Medal will cease when Op Telic is superceded by Op Kipion. Is this true???

MsG
The Iraq Medal is now awarded for 30 days continuous service on Op Telic in Iraq. Air crew are awarded the Medal for 10 sorties into Iraq.

That would seem to be the case.

Don't think it will change as it's called The Iraq Medal, not the Op Telic Medal.

Despite the fact it was called the Iraq Medal, it was intrinsically linked to Op TELIC and on the end of Op TELIC entitlement to that medal ceased. Service in Iraq still earns OA and personnel working with the Nato Training Mission get a NATO Non-Article V Medal but are not entitled to wear it. Service in the remainder of the KIPION JOA gets neither OA nor a medal (other than those who are awarded the EUNAVFOR Op ATALANTA Medal or the NATO Non-Article V Op OCEAN SHEILD Medal but wearing of either of these is not permitted).
It was presumably because the 'risk and rigour' that was endemic in Op TELIC is not so now for Op KIPION. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to wear the NATO medal if no UK equivalent was available?

Just heard that they may be striking a KIPION Medal.....

Kipion- BFPO 398 also, I'm on it later this year.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Guns Royal Navy 3
Forever_Brunswick_Green Medals 1