Op Herrick

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by 307, Jun 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 307

307 War Hero

Any one else been warned about Op Herrick (Afghanistan) deployments, we were told about this last week, apparently requests for RLC and medics have already gone out for mobilisations in August. A lot more are expected to be coming soon.

2. Our CO was quite open about our mob sending a composite troop. However at Sqn level the management seem to evasive on this issue! Wait and see i suppose then a last minute panic in keeping with british tradition! :oops:

3. Seems to a patern emerging. Intelligent mobilisation has finally arrived, soldiers are being asked to volunteer (sigs are now posting vaccancies for all to see - my sqn has a list of jobs available for Telic 7) and units are forming sub units to deploy like the TA infantry has been doing.

4. Interesting Dodgy - my lot (also Engr's) have had a grapevine rumour that we may be mobilised next year sometime.

Best get the glass to the wall again & see if I can find out any more!

5. If it's any consolation, guys, I go out there quite regularly on short trips and quite like the place. It's much nicer than Iraq, and if I had to do another 6 month tour anywhere, it's where I'd want to do it.

6. ARRC's there for 9 months so tours are either 4.5 months (sounds good) or 9

7. Wht is the rule on 1in3? Does the date start from when you were mobilised or when you were demobbed? The reaseon I ask is I was on Telic II (June to Nov 03) Am I eligable to go in June or Nov??

8. I was on Fingal 4 . The Stan is a better tour than the GIFA.

9. 307

307 War Hero

UK is taking lead role in Afghan next year isnt it, I think this is where all the deployments are coming from. I personally am rearing to go as are most of the other young lads in my bty.

10. Looking at the legislation governing this area, the rule is that you can be called up for a maximum of one year in every three.

The common view that you can be called up under RFA only once every three years is wrong. That is the MoD's policy but it is not legally obliged to stick to it. (In fact, there is some confusion about whether the MoD's policy is once every three or every five years, but that's a side issue as the law still permits call-out for one year in every three.)

So: one year in every three, not once every three. Capice?

You were mobilised for six months and so can still be called up for the remaining six while keeping to that limit. So the bottom line is that you could be called up now for a 4.5-month tour plus POTL while keeping to the rule. Once June 06 rolls around you can be called up for a maximum of one year again.

At least, that is what the legislation appears to Dr E and his crack legal team to imply. But maybe there are some Chilwellistas or Glasgowcrats who might tell us if a different policy or set of rules is applied.

11. Does anyone know if there is any way around that 1 year in 3 rule? I know a couple of guys who are desperate to go on tour again, but currently aren't allowed to even volunteer for a tour anywhere as they have reached or even slightly exceeded the 1 year limit.

12. The Mrs will be sooooo happy :lol: . Balls

13. 307

307 War Hero

I thought the rule applied to compulsary mob. not voluntary, if it applies to voluntary it is an idots rule, the bloke knows whether he has family or job to worry about, he is mature enough to take the choice for himself, whats better, sending someone who doesnt want to go, whos employers appeal, he gets messed round in his job, his family hate him for going, and because of all this worry, he does a shite job on tour and possibly puts himself and other sin dnager due to his mind ebing elsewhere? Or the keen bloke who is rearing to go has the experience and motivation to do a good thorough job?

14. Is your Battery well up to strength then, 307 ?

15. 307

307 War Hero

We are toppers mate, more and more recruits coming through each week, slackers on verge of getting kicked out to get their kit back for the new guys. Last firing weekend we managed a 6 gun ORBAT, which is quite impressive. Things are peachy! :D