Op GRANBY - 25 Years Ago

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
No it was another, there seem to be have a flurry of them going for between £120k -£150k - here we go!
The honour awarded to Colour Sgt James Harkess of the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regt for action in Iraq in 2006 sold for £130,000 (plus 20% buyer's premium), setting a record for a CGC at auction.
I think it’s tragic that ex-soldiers feel they need to sell their gallantry medals to ‘guarantee’ their families’ future.

I can’t see £130K going that far, but not for me to judge.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
It might be a roof over someone's head.

Medals or a place to live.

I know which one I'd choose.
That’s why I said it wasn’t for me to judge.

A tragedy nevertheless.

On the subject of medals, genuine question, what were the criteria for NOT qualifying for the clasp for the Gulf Medal? The clasp was "Awarded for seven days continuous service between these dates in the designated Theatre of Operations."

What was the designated area? Who got the medal but not the clasp? Cyprus I can understand, but what about those dodging Scuds in Riyadh or Al Jubail? Personally I would have thought them both equally deserving.

I realise that the line had to be drawn somewhere. I did get the clasp myself.

On the subject of medals, genuine question, what were the criteria for NOT qualifying for the clasp for the Gulf Medal. The clasp was "Awarded for seven days continuous service between these dates in the designated Theatre of Operations."

What was the designated area? Who got the medal but not the clasp? Cyprus I can understand, but what about those dodging Scuds in Riyadh or Al Jubail? Personally I would have thought them both equally deserving.

ISTR the 3 RRF lads having a rosette on the ribbon. The sprogs who joined after war's end got the medal sans rosette. I also STR the rear link R. SIG's staffy having the medal without the clasp. Don't quote me on that, though.

ISTR the 3 RRF lads having a rosette on the ribbon. The sprogs who joined after war's end got the medal sans rosette. I also STR the rear link R. SIG's staffy having the medal without the clasp. Don't quote me on that, though.
Thanks, so the rear link didn't get it, perhaps. The clasp which I mentioned is the equivalent of a rosette on the ribbon bar.

If you can find a copy, DCI GEN 185/91 has the detailed criteria: don't forget, those who were in theatre before 16 Jan 91 but had left by that date qualified for the medal only.

. . . then, of course, we have the not at all touchy subject of those who served Cyprus who qualified for the medal without clasp.

And finally - the Romanian Field Hospital unit were one of the foreign units who were also awarded the medal.

If you can find a copy, DCI GEN 185/91 has the detailed criteria: don't forget, those who were in theatre before 16 Jan 91 but had left by that date qualified for the medal only.

. . . then, of course, we have the not at all touchy subject of those who served Cyprus who qualified for the medal without clasp.

And finally - the Romanian Field Hospital unit were one of the foreign units who were also awarded the medal.
So out of curiosity did the UNFICYP detachment get it as well, or was that technically double medalling!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
On the subject of medals, genuine question, what were the criteria for NOT qualifying for the clasp for the Gulf Medal? The clasp was "Awarded for seven days continuous service between these dates in the designated Theatre of Operations."

Here:

Basically Zone 1 = Iraq & Kuwait, Zone 2 = anywhere else.

Clasp and rosette for Zone 1 only, other limitations on dates, time spent, nature of service etc also apply.

Latest Threads