Op GRANBY - 25 Years Ago

Did we change much?

Capability wise I'm thinking we dropped the Jaguar and got the Apache? (I dont mean in a swap) anything else.

Was there anything in the Operations aside from it being a diferrent war, would be interesting to hear how your service differed, even on another thread.

I don't fking know. I was a sgt medic in one and a ssgt medic in the other . I just got on with things.

Good call, Looe would be a stunning place to be sent out from, perhaps in a mini Viking ship.
You mean the kids will probably pack you into a large Swan Vesta's matchbox with a fire work attached on bonfire night. Set light to it and push it out into the local pond. When the fire reaches the blue touch paper the grandkids will be going 'oooh', 'aaahh,' as good ole granpappy is blasted to the heavens.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Stabilisation through superior firepower is not a strategy for success, unless the intention is to severely degrade the local civilian population.
‘In order to pacify the village it was first necessary to destroy it’

Seems the US were there before us.

Which is unlike them.

No it was another, there seem to be have a flurry of them going for between £120k -£150k - here we go!
The honour awarded to Colour Sgt James Harkess of the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regt for action in Iraq in 2006 sold for £130,000 (plus 20% buyer's premium), setting a record for a CGC at auction.

‘In order to pacify the village it was first necessary to destroy it’

Seems the US were there before us.

Which is unlike them.
I think the actual quote was even worse than that:

DELETE 'pacify'​
INSERT: 'save'​
. . . and you have the words of a commander who has parted company with the frames of reference the rest of us use to understand the world, and the things that the rest us do in that world.

But in that place, at that time - that was his 'normal'

The ceasefire which ended offensive operations in Op Granby was 30 years ago today, 28th Feb, under skies black from the oilfield fires. Best wishes to all who took part.

Last edited:
The ceasefire which ended offensive operations in Op Granby was 30 years ago today, 28th March, under skies black from the oilfield fires. Best wishes to all who took part.
I intend to be raising a glass tonight whilst wondering where all the years went.

Twenty one odd years ago the declassified adventure of major Archie Gates was released. It pulled no punches on why the Americans were there

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I did, only got one back, thanks to my eagle-eyed eldest son on eBay and it was a singular one that wasn’t ‘attached’ to my rack.

As the local Plod said at the time - search the local ditches etc, your sword and medals are worth nothing to anyone but you, especially if they are identifiable, and mine were.

Not a sniff since. I have all the (R) replacements but it isn’t the same. It the sword that pisses me off the most though.

Weird eh?

Can I just say, that's a scummy thing to do. I hope they get a life shortening disease. Maggots.