Op ELLAMY - OK, what is an Ellamy?

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by OldSnowy, Mar 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The UK's part in the attacks in Libya, in order to maintain peace in Libya, are codenamed Op ELLAMY.

Now I know my googling skills are weak - but what on earth is, was, or has been, an ELLAMY? It's presumably nothing to do with the Elamites, or maybe it started out as Op BELLAMY, and got cut in PR11?

Who knows?

Over to the combined Brains of the NAAFI Bar to shed (God, I've mentioned Sheds...) some light on this.
  2. An Ellamy is the enemy of a Chinaman.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I believe the names of all new operations are generated by a computer and designed to sound completely bland and mundane so they cannot be associated with any other words (e.g. TELIC, HERRICK).
  4. Sure its not proounced Ell Am I, as in the immortal words of the 747 Pilot as he dipped a wing towards Russia, " Where the 'ell am I?"

Similar to Operation whatthefukwedoonhere, Op Gran, By the way can you lend me a tenner till payday and Operation Tell Icarus them wings are looking a wee bit fragile for seeking out thermals on a hot day like today.

Thankfully the last two were abbreviated somewhat
  5. Its an anagram op ellamy = lame ploy
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I thought along the lines of an anagram too; could be 'we don't need no steenking carriers'.

Could be wrong though.
  7. Will these people sue?

8. So why has there never been an Op ZFKRTWNKL? :)
  9. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

There has. That's the Czech equivalent of Herrick. ;-D
  10. No doubt under a Labour inclusiveness and diversity programme, to invent words nobody can find offensive whilst they're dodging the ordnance. Am I the only one who finds something odd about that? Only I think that either the world around me is going mad, or I am.
  11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

True; and at the other extreme, in the words of Churchill: “They ought not to be given names of a frivolous character” as he didn't want mothers to hear that their son died in the course of Op Pantywaist or Op Purple Helmet.
  12. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

This kind've works on so many levels though, doesn't it?
  13. Hmm: Herrick, Telic, Ellamy - sounds like they've got some software that generates something that sounds like a word but isn't. Stand be for Operation Borrocks, Op Upballs, Op Impdick.....

Maybe the Conservatives could raise some extra cash for the defence budget by getting ops sponsored......bombing Libya in Operation Kentucky Fried, a Trident replacement, HMS Subway Eat Fresh. Mind you, the sponsor's logo on the "BUPA cares" body armour might make all that money spent on MTP a bit of a waste.
  14. Who could forget Ex Hazel Flute?