Op BANNER - Yellow Cards

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Instructions for opening fire in Northern Ireland, known to all and sundry as "The Yellow Card" was issued to all servicemen and women in the Province.

My Regimental museum has recently updated it's displays to include ones on the Cold War, of which Op Banner played a large part. To complete our display we would like a Yellow Card to place in the display cabinet, the earliest issued if possible. The card was updated and reviewed on several occasions so one closest to 1970 would be best.

If anyone has a copy (or copies) they would like to give to me for our museum please drop me a PM.

Ta much.

Were they not accountable items? We certainly had to sign for ours and hand them back in at tours end. Or was that just normal Fusilier bu*****t?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Were they not accountable items? We certainly had to sign for ours and hand them back in at tours end. Or was that just normal Fusilier bu*****t?
They were Restricted so I think they were accountable but there always seemed to be "spares".

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Weren't they the ones with just "GET SOME!" printed on yellow card?

Or was that just the version issued to 1 PARA?

I have one in my NI Aide Memoire, but that is going to early 80s.

There's also the small matter of I have no idea where the damned thing is . . .

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
They were Restricted so I think they were accountable but there always seemed to be "spares".
Restricted yes but accountable? I can't imagine why, I think the contents were something that the Army would have wanted to publicize, so restrictive was it.

Weren't they the ones with just "GET SOME!" printed on yellow card?

Or was that just the version issued to 1 PARA?
This one?

1628183013515.jpeg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Might have been a way of proving everyone 'had the card so knew the rules' for, Officers- backside - the covering of.
Or it might just have been an application of the rule of law...

I checked out fleabay and they only had later years available. But thanks anyway.
I have a November 1972 revision printed January 1973
Also an August 1973 revision printed November 1974 Blue card, Instructions by the Director of Operations for making Arrests in Northern Ireland.

I went to Ireland in 1975 so looks as if the yellow card was valid from Jan 73 to at least the Summer of 1975.

I have a November 1972 revision printed January 1973
Also an August 1973 revision printed November 1974 Blue card, Instructions by the Director of Operations for making Arrests in Northern Ireland.

I went to Ireland in 1975 so looks as if the yellow card was valid from Jan 73 to at least the Summer of 1975.
img032.jpg

img033.jpg

img034.jpg

img035.jpg

ches

LE
Remember the yellow card wording pretty well but have absolutely no recollection of seeing the blue card even though i must have done. School day & all that.