Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I seem to remember that the wounded soldier wore the same cap badge that 'Old Fat and Hairy' uses as his avatar.
I know the photo, it's a Rifleman from 1RGJ c.71/72 in Belfast, stocky lad as I recall.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Greetings, Did they make any badge changes along the way, or is it still the same today?
Mine is pretty much the old RB one, slight changes but nothing major.
1542744308739.png

Long Kesh Prison Riots Oct 74
The riots almost destroyed the prison, except for the outer perimeter. The story of the affair would fill a small book. The riots started at about 8pm, at the height of the riots which was after midnight there was no sign of any let up. At that stage we were issued with a form of CS that I had not seen before, fired from a tube it burst in the air and showered downwards, I have not seen the stuff since then, but it stopped hundreds of prisoners in their tracks, they stopped rolling ignited gas containers towards us and sloped off (petrol soaked rag tied to the container) . The next morning at 5am each Rifle Company was given a compound to subdue, ours was compound 13, which contained convicted murderers. it took two hours of battle to do so. I have one question; does anyone on here know what gas it was that we used that night?
The CS not seen before - an SLR butt fitted to a tube, looked like it was fitted to a fat 2" mortar (3-4" diameter?) complete with painted white line down the barrel for sighting.
Ammo like big shotgun cartridge but made of black rubber with a grey metal base, filled with CS pellets.
Maybe not the ones your thinking of, now I think of it they were probably designed to bounce and split, spraying the pellets out.
They were part of the basic equipment in the watchtowers at the Lazy K, certainly by the late 70's.

No.

It's gone.

The Jackets swallowed a bunch of other capbadges, and disguised the coup by adopting "The Rifles" as a name, and opting for a bugle as the cap badge.
My Great Grandad is probably still spinning in his grave - 30 years in the KRRC an' all that, the loss of the last vestige of his old cap badge won't have been ameliorated by his 1914-18 service (aged 50 at enlistment) in the Ox & Bucks, even if that did get him back to India, and away from a nagging wife :-D

The CS not seen before - an SLR butt fitted to a tube, looked like it was fitted to a fat 2" mortar (3-4" diameter?) complete with painted white line down the barrel for sighting.
Ammo like big shotgun cartridge but made of black rubber with a grey metal base, filled with CS pellets.
Maybe not the ones your thinking of, now I think of it they were probably designed to bounce and split, spraying the pellets out.
They were part of the basic equipment in the watchtowers at the Lazy K, certainly by the late 70's.
We were definitely obtaining 'air'bursts' which showered the smoking pellets downwards. Hundred of pellets each projectile. It was most effective if placed on top of and behind them. I do remember that the projectile outer covering was made of rubber and the same size as the ordinary smoke 83 Gren, but it was no ordinary CS there was a large increase in strength.

Was this perhaps Grenade Anti-Riot L11A1 fired from Riot Gun L1A2. Bursts in the air scattering 23 CS pellets over a 20 metre radius. Instant effect, cannot be smothered or thrown back, range 90 metres.

ugly

LE
My Great Grandad is probably still spinning in his grave - 30 years in the KRRC an' all that, the loss of the last vestige of his old cap badge won't have been ameliorated by his 1914-18 service (aged 50 at enlistment) in the Ox & Bucks, even if that did get him back to India, and away from a nagging wife :-D
The old Green Jacket badge is still in use, I believe its on the cartridge box on the rear of the shoulder belt
edited to add, on the front and on the ORs belt buckle too!
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...oad/Get/1932&usg=AOvVaw3vqpnulm1TVLyCDF5MFkLO

The old Green Jacket badge is still in use, I believe its on the cartridge box on the rear of the shoulder belt
edited to add, on the front and on the ORs belt buckle too!
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwj6t97-xOXeAhVJ_KQKHQxfDeoQFjAAegQIBhAC&url=https://www.army.mod.uk/umbraco/Surface/Download/Get/1932&usg=AOvVaw3vqpnulm1TVLyCDF5MFkLO
I always thought it was a Green Jacket/LI prerogative to wear an extensive range of kit from green blazers with RB buttons to massive lanyards that you could moor a boat with! Never actually saw two that looked the same even at PCD, and looking at some of the red tab members well what a mix of sartorial elegance - the thinking man's soldier!

I always thought it was a Green Jacket/LI prerogative to wear an extensive range of kit from green blazers with RB buttons to massive lanyards that you could moor a boat with! Never actually saw two that looked the same even at PCD, and looking at some of the red tab members well what a mix of sartorial elegance - the thinking man's soldier!
I suspect the days of the satorially free-thinking rifleman may be over, at least if this weighty tome has anything to do with it...

https://www.army.mod.uk/umbraco/Surface/Download/Get/1932

ugly

LE
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10