Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Final submission for this evening - the M79 Grenade Launcher in Op Banner - when you could use it.
View attachment 362549
They were issued to my Coy, at Middletown in 1976, in mid tour.

OC wouldn't let them out of the CQMS safekeeping.

I read somewhere later, that no M79 was ever fired in anger by the Army in NI, despite being fired several times - always by accident, ususlly when the trigger of a loaded/slung M79 snagged on twigs, and discharged into the ground at the feet of its bearer.

I think @ugly has a slightly different version of that history.

They were issued to my Coy, at Middletown in 1976, in mid tour.

OC wouldn't let them out of the CQMS safekeeping.

I read somewhere later, that no M79 was ever fired in anger by the Army in NI, despite being fired several times - always by accident, ususlly when the trigger of a loaded/slung M79 snagged on twigs, and discharged into the ground at the feet of its bearer.

I think @ugly has a slightly different version of that history.
Definately used in May 1980 at the Kilnasaggert Bridge South Armagh

Now he was famous.
My wife and her colleagues nursed him when he was in the Cambridge Military Hospital (Aldershot)with a broken jaw sustained in a particularly nasty storm during the Fastnet[?] race, circa 1989.

He was, by all accounts, a thoroughly bad patient.

His chum PDLB wasn't any more popular, when (as GOC SE District) he insisted that the hospital's nursing staff should mount armed sentries on the hospital as long as Jeapes was abed there :-(

To this day, I can't think of many things more risk-laden than an RAMC medic with an SMG and a full mag . . . .

I hope you didn't pay for it. I am still hoping Magee is going to end up back in jail for not being able to pay the massive legal bill he got stuck with after his last outburst of lying in court.

I would trust anything written by him to be factual as far as I could throw him to be honest.
I was given it a couple of years ago. Straight hero worship of cowardly killers and their effect is vastly exaggerated. I didn't finish it.

That reminds me of check point we did in XMG, I opened the boot of a car. Only to see massive grey metal tube. Near crapped myself, the driver looks at me as I took a step back. "Its only part of new exhaust for my tractor" replied the driver to my "oh shit".
just as well it wasn't 84mm 'Made In Sweden' for a Volvo tractor

Speaking of cowardly killers, I stumbled on this blog earlier today, when I was Googling summink unrelated.

The author has taken a serious interest in the history of Protestant violence in Ulster - some of it is genuinely interesting, even if the piece at the top of the page is a bit heavy going. Try starting here instead:

Great article - interesting part involving Davy Payne losing weapons after getting stopped in Portadown - this was following a failed attempt by Brian Nelson to gain arms from South Africa. Nelson was of course an FRU agent. What is less generally recognized is that Davy Payne was a SB agent.

Great article - interesting part involving Davy Payne losing weapons after getting stopped in Portadown - this was following a failed attempt by Brian Nelson to gain arms from South Africa. Nelson was of course an FRU agent. What is less generally recognized is that Davy Payne was a SB agent.
Any idea just why, exactly, his attempt failed?

One NI photograph I haven't seen for at least 30 years is of a squaddie being treated around the back of a Pig / LRover, for a flesh wound.
He had been hit by one of those homemade grenades and had a bent 6" nail stuck deep in his arm.
And, by the Power of Arrse ..... 3,2,1.....…

Long Kesh Prison Riots Oct 74
The riots almost destroyed the prison, except for the outer perimeter. The story of the affair would fill a small book. The riots started at about 8pm, at the height of the riots which was after midnight there was no sign of any let up. At that stage we were issued with a form of CS that I had not seen before, fired from a tube it burst in the air and showered downwards, I have not seen the stuff since then, but it stopped hundreds of prisoners in their tracks, they stopped rolling ignited gas containers towards us and sloped off (petrol soaked rag tied to the container) . The next morning at 5am each Rifle Company was given a compound to subdue, ours was compound 13, which contained convicted murderers. it took two hours of battle to do so. I have one question; does anyone on here know what gas it was that we used that night?

One NI photograph I haven't seen for at least 30 years is of a squaddie being treated around the back of a Pig / LRover, for a flesh wound.
He had been hit by one of those homemade grenades and had a bent 6" nail stuck deep in his arm.
And, by the Power of Arrse ..... 3,2,1.....…
That picture is of a Light Infantry rifleman, and is in the books 'British Army In Ulster.'

That picture is of a Light Infantry rifleman, and is in the books 'British Army In Ulster.'
Thought it was a RGJ, Bogside, it's in "The Battle of Bogside" by Clive Limpkin.

Nah, just checked "The BoB", not there.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10