Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

I believe the Resident Bn tours were between 18-24 months and usually accompanied and based in 'proper bricks and mortar', but were frequently assigned to tasks in hostile areas for short periods.
Locations were Palace Barracks Holywood, Ballykinler (Abercorn Barracks) (on at least one occasion contained two Resident Battalions), Ballykelly (Shackleton Barracks). Not sure, but I suspect the Armd Recce was either at Gough Barracks Armagh or possibly at Mahon Road Portadown.

There was a Cav regiment in Omagh I think - Lisanelly Bks.

Cavalry up until 1982 and then an Infantry Bn until the end of Op Banner. Currently being rebuilt as an 'educational campus' with the idea of bringing almost every school in Omagh on to one site.

17/21 I think when it all kicked off. Some Cav functioned in an infantry role, but I am pretty certain Gosford Castle was a permanent Armd Recce Squadron - albeit rotated between regiments.

The sheer scale of locations is evident in the attached LOCSTAT for 3 Bde 1973 (Courtesy of TNA)

Attachments

Soon as the building was considered "Unfit for human habitation", get the Army in.

Same as every barracks in the UK from the 90's? it was an eye opener visiting Omagh, was the pads estate used as a training village?
Like that one next to Vimy Barracks at Catterick? I was kipping in one in 97 when a PTI dragged a whole lot of sprogs through it, in 75 I remember seeing families lived there... from Vimy C.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
an armd recce regt in the South

It was an Armoured Car regiment at Omagh. It was an RAC Arms Plot posting between (according to the Facebook group created by a member of Arrse) 1948-1982 with occasional gaps for rebuilding.

Iirc, by the time I did my Control Signaller RAC course in 1978 and had to learn all callsigns for all flavours of RAC (and other) regiment, it may still have been referred to as an Armoured Car regiment, but it was academic because regiments created their own OrBat to fulfil the unique role.

Edit. In 74-76 it was accompanied for 18 months. Later two years, same time emergency tours changed from four to six months.

From his posts in the RAC Forum, I suspect in all seriousness that Tropper was there.
I will ask him - it was a decent place back then, though i only spent a few weeks in the place. It was a move upmarket from Magilligan before a slide down the ladder to Dungannon which offerred a communal bedroom in a TA hall up on the hill behind the RUC Station in the square. That didn't last either and was superceeded by St Pauls Infant School in Cavendish Square Belfast - free tea, community dances, laundry at the steamie on the Falls, the odd 'lumber' in an entry - social utopia.........how did we manage to f**k that up?

Same as every barracks in the UK from the 90's? it was an eye opener visiting Omagh, was the pads estate used as a training village?
Most fun i had on NI training was at the disused part of Barton Stacey in the early 70's. I was tasked to put a platoon of young soldiers through NI patrolling and had been assigned two members of 'them' to create realism with PE using a varety of dets. On the second evening this pair of 'herefordshires' decided they were having a night off and so they gave me a five minute course on the use of PE and the said detonators. Took great delight in blowing up the cook house......just a little.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Most fun i had on NI training was at the disused part of Barton Stacey in the early 70's. I was tasked to put a platoon of young soldiers through NI patrolling and had been assigned two members of 'them' to create realism with PE using a varety of dets. On the second evening this pair of 'herefordshires' decided they were having a night off and so they gave me a five minute course on the use of PE and the said detonators. Took great delight in blowing up the cook house......just a little.
It might have been Bill Parrish who wrote an account of his time in the FFL. Ends up on an op in Central Africa. Quick lesson in bangstuff. " You two. Blow up every grass hut in this rebel village."

"Here Bert, did he say 20gm of bangstuff or 200? "
"Use 200. We don't want to be found lacking."

BANG.

Hut achieves orbit .

"What are you two playing at?"

"Sending a message. "

Last edited:
It might have been Bill Parrish who wrote an account of his time in the FFL. Ends up on an op in Central Africa. Quick lesson in bangstuff. " You two. Blow up every grass but in this rebel village."

"Here Bert, did he say 20gm of bangstuff or 200? "
"Use 200. We don't want to be found lacking."

BANG.

Hut achieves orbit .

"What are you two playing at?"

"Sending a message. "
Was'nt him.....but he clearly must have taught the two eejits......my choices were one stick or two....match fusehead or electric. I am sure at least one of the fuseheads did'nt ignite....I didn't go back to check....such was my confidence in the instruction thus recieved. So, not Bill.......but the sentiment sounds about the same.

In Aden it was 'Halt Barenti!' or similar? It had to be called out loudly three times. There were a few cases of 'Halt Barenti three times' ...BANG!!
ROE thread drift:

I recall reading the transcript of a court case of an armed robbery in Hong Kong (in the 70s?) where the testimony of the policeman who was first on the scene at the bank.

Cop swore on oath that he entered the bank, saw the defendant, a black teenage male, holding a knife to the cashier, called out a warning that he was armed police, and to desist and surrender.
When the robber failed to comply, the cop discharged his pistol and wounded the defendant.

The bank cashier testified that when the defendant was holding the knife up to her and demanding she hand over the cash, the cop kicked open the door of the bank, shouted "GOODNIGHT SOOTY" then shot him.

I can't recall who's version of events were accepted.

ROE thread drift:

I recall reading the transcript of a court case of an armed robbery in Hong Kong (in the 70s?) where the testimony of the policeman who was first on the scene at the bank.

Cop swore on oath that he entered the bank, saw the defendant, a black teenage male, holding a knife to the cashier, called out a warning that he was armed police, and to desist and surrender.
When the robber failed to comply, the cop discharged his pistol and wounded the defendant.

The bank cashier testified that when the defendant was holding the knife up to her and demanding she hand over the cash, the cop kicked open the door of the bank, shouted "GOODNIGHT SOOTY" then shot him.

I can't recall who's version of events were accepted.
Sounds similar to 'Tanky Challenor'

Gosh one of the forgotten Army - my utmost respect to him.
Have you seen this -https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/15/a6955815.shtml
Dad was commissioned in 48 as a Sapper, his Dad was a Sapper and served from 1922 to leaving as an RO in the mid 60s!
I must confess I have never looked closely into my fathers wartime service - mainly because he would never talk about it. As a youngster I would ask naive questions such as 'did you ever see a spitfire?' Later when I was serving we had a short discussion about Burma and he said the only Japanese he saw were tied to trees with their throats cut......the Gurkha units had taken point! He suffered severe bouts of malaria post war and was never fully fit - died five months before his 62nd birthday.......at 10 minutes past midnight on 1 January........made sure we never forget.
I must try to trace some history.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10