Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm not saying its true in every case but it does seem to happen. Would you put the quality of your effort down to the personalities in charge or those involved or what?
I would say the personalities. We had a couple of Belfast boys and more than our fair share of scousers. They seemed to fit in nicely.

HAREWOOD CLUB - unless I'm much mistook - run by the NAAFI, and in its 1960s heyday, when balding men in suits (there might even be a pipe smoker in there somewhere) went there to use the bowling alley, like the hep cats they really were behind the stripes and laurel wreaths :-D

Screenshot_20181116-174945.png
Screenshot_20181116-175006.png
Screenshot_20181116-175018.png
Screenshot_20181116-175027.png
Screenshot_20181116-175048.png

Two thoughts strike me.

The first is that if it were in as good nick in 1974, thanks to NAAFI's careful husbandry since it opened in [whenever that was], it's a crying shame that it was trashed in one night.

The second - and I'm almost (but not) ashamed to say it, is that by the looks of it, it was purpose built for a mass bar-room brawl on a 'Sons Of Katy Elder' scale, and it met it's end in exactly the manner for which a John Wayne movie director would have had it built :-D]

Last edited:
Ablutions: My Polite word for pooing! you had to be careful where you stepped when moving or crawling about!
I've been in houses in downtown suburban Andersonstown where that applied. . . . to every inch of the fitted carpet, and most of the beds.

All the more disturbing that the latter was the case, when there was often a chest of drawers packed full of brand new, unused, neatly folded, good quality Oirish bed linen that - by its damp, clammy feel - had clearly not seen use since it was received as a wedding gift a half-decade previously

I've been in houses in downtown suburban Andersonstown where that applied. . . . to every inch of the fitted carpet, and most of the beds.

All the more disturbing that the latter was the case, when there was often a chest of drawers packed full of brand new, unused, neatly folded, good quality Oirish bed linen that - by its damp, clammy feel - had clearly not seen use since it was received as a wedding gift a half-decade previously
I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the post I made a couple of years ago on this subject. A choggieburger never looked the same afterward; the scent was hauntingly, and dreadfully familiar, too.

I didn't do a BANNER, it was DESCANT by the time I got there. Our white vans had to be first and last paraded including cleaning inside and out. But we could sign out a length of timber from the QM's with empty crisp packets, old newspapers etc nailed to it to make your immaculate civvy van look old. As you say, only in the army.
DESCANT was a subset of BANNER as I recall

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the post I made a couple of years ago on this subject. A choggieburger never looked the same afterward; the scent was hauntingly, and dreadfully familiar, too.
I have been out-grossed

For which I am grateful

But I wonder if that dimension of the culture which bred Republican 'heroes' will ever find it's way into a wider public consciousness.

I could not - still don't - begin to understand how folk could let/make their own kids sleep weeks on end in pissed bedding, when they'd ample supplies of clean stuff in the house.

And don't get me started on shitting in milk bottles and hoying them into the front garden!

I didn't do a BANNER, it was DESCANT by the time I got there. Our white vans had to be first and last paraded including cleaning inside and out. But we could sign out a length of timber from the QM's with empty crisp packets, old newspapers etc nailed to it to make your immaculate civvy van look old. As you say, only in the army.
I grew to be something of an expert in fitting out vans, having to do so on at least four occasions, and discovering new ways of making them less attractive to the eye. My second project came close to killing all of the vehicle's occupants when it was released into the wild on a lengthy task too soon, and the glue used to fix the interior coverings, fittings and 'extras' hadn't cured; I went into hiding for a while.

Yup

Got bonus points, if memory serves.

On the plus side, they were really good lads, and we loved them like brothers in arms.

Especially the one who crimped one off into the water bowser servicing the King's Own Borderers competitors - who weren't, and we didn't :-D
Oh yeah, the FIBUA experts, courtesy of that annoying twat, their CO.

Here's one I found...Mushroom Coy, 2RGJ. Rover Group at NHSM in W.Belfast. '81/82
View attachment 361949

Sadly, several are dead now, but forever remembered.

If you're in the phot, PM me...
I suppose a few here might recognise SH from when he ran NITAT in the late 80's, or Don from his time at Senior Brecon?

. . . courtesy of that annoying twat, their CO.
You'll have to narrow that down. In that form it could refer to all 3 infantry Bn COs :thumright:
E.T.A:
I'm gonna take a punt that you mean the clown who made all his soldiers run the Berlin marathon wearing kit bearing the crest of his Bn, and its name in letters 5 inches high on the back; who promised a bottle (or was it a case?) of beer to every soldier under 40 who beat his Berlin Marathon time; who then shelled out a significant sum for said beers, and then spent about a week bragging to his superiors about their achievement?

He woulda bragged for longer, but then photos got out, that showed dozens of men wearing kit bearing the crest of his Bn, and its name in letters 5 inches high on the back, taking free rides on the U-Bahn beneath the runners on the day of the race :-D

Rigged for silent running thereafter :thumleft:

Karma.

Last edited:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Massive drift spoiler!
Many years ago, when I was a village bobby ( remember them? ) my police house/office was on one side of a green and on the other wa a row of houses. In one lived a divorcee, with 4 children Two of these were twins and aged - at that time - 7. She had a 16 year old daughter who was a...………….bit flighty. As indeed was the mother. These twins would often come to my house and eat with us as they were in the same year as one of my daughters. One particular evening, in a January, they came and asked if we had 50p for the meter as mum had gone out. My wife went over to the house then came back swiftly to fetch me. The kids were home alone, the kitchen floor had the stickiness of tar, the sink was filled with dishes that had gone beyond washing, they were growing cultures. The kids bedroom had a broken window and they were sleeping on a folded over and very wet matress. No other bedding. The bathroom had frozen shit in the toilet and the bath was full of dirty dishes AND clothing. The mum's bedroom was immaculate.
I took both kids back to my house then called a social worker. Long story shortened, they were taken into care and the mother prosecuted. However, at a later court hearing for custody, the mother got them back, at their wish. Life didn't change for them, and they subsequently went downhill.

Horrible place and horrible woman and so bloody frustrating that we couldn't help those kids.

You'll have to narrow that down. In that form it could refer to all 3 infantry Bn COs :thumright:
E.T.A:
I'mk gonna take a punt that you mean the clown who made all his soldiers run the Berlin marathon wearing kit bearing the crest of his Bn, and its name in letters 5 inches high on the back; who promised a bottle (or was it a case?) of beer to every soldier under 40 who beat his Berlin Marathon time; who then shelled out a significant sum for said beers, and then spent about a week bragging to his superiors about their achievement?

He woulda bragged for longer, but then photos got out, that showed dozens of men wearing kit bearing the crest of his Bn, and its name in letters 5 inches high on the back, riding the U-Bahn beneath the runners on the day of the race :-D

Rigged for silent running thereafter :thumleft:

Karma.
If that's the same idiot who was all over the BAR with his stunning insights into FISCH, based on the standard exposure to the Ruhleben Fighting City, yeah, that's the one. I was in Berlin at the same time and we, a non-Brigade unit, watched some of the shenanigans you guys in the infantry component got up to with mild interest and, sometimes, a certain incredulity, coupled with a heartfelt sense of gratitude that we weren't involved.

Fighting InSide Country Hices? :-D

He lived up at Gatow, and yup.
Or Fighting in Someone's Council House?

Incidentally, I realised what Winston meant by his comment about us and the Yanks being divided by a common language when I found out they they call FIBUA "MOUT", or "Military Operations in Urban Terrain" .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10