Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Surrounding the murder of the Green Finch Margaret Hearst.
I had been on four days leave. When I got back I passed a chap in civies wearing very thick glasses in Bn HQ corridor, I thought he was a civilian CS and took no notice, I saw him twice more, I asked who he was and was told 'He's the new RAPC bloke' I invited him to my office and asked why he was wearing Civ clothes. His reply was that he had permission from the civilian adjutant because he 'lived out.' Living out in Armagh was inviting death, so I got him into uniform and cancelled his living out. He had been living in a caravan in an orchard with Pat Hearst at Tynon just outside Armagh.
Shortly afterwards and early one morning, news came of Pat Hearst's death. The RAPC Bloke came into my office, sobbing and crying, I sat him in a chair thinking it was a family thing. When he controlled himself he kept repeating 'It could have been me' I realized then what it was that upset him. It was the preservation of his own skin. I got him on his feet, and told him that the PIRA were really after him, and if he had not been openly visiting then Pat Hearst would still be alive, It was all his fault. Then he had a complete breakdown which I enjoyed being witness to.
He was out of NI a day following.

This incident?
Even if it wasn't, the photos cheer you up.
Lol not sure if that was it but well funny, i seem to remember that it was to do with not bouncing the rounds It hit the deck and sped up like a bullet train he went down like a sack of shit ,he died if i remember correctly

For clarity.

I wasn't thinking about the ORs, just the tweedy pipe-smoking self-regarding clones in the WFR orrsifers mess.

Hope this helps.
I met some of their WOs, they were even worse than 7sigs seniors.

Lol not sure if that was it but well funny, i seem to remember that it was to do with not bouncing the rounds It hit the deck and sped up like a bullet train he went down like a sack of shit ,he died if i remember correctly
IIRC it was SOP to bounce em off the deck a bit short of target to get them in the lower legs. Of course if you missed your intended the trajectory would keep the round on the up angle & might twat someone behind your target in the spuds or higher up the body.
I thought deliberate firing at the CBM was knocked on the head (pardon the pun) due to some getting a round that stopped the heart on impact.

IIRC it was SOP to bounce em off the deck a bit short of target to get them in the lower legs. Of course if you missed your intended the trajectory would keep the round on the up angle & might twat someone behind your target in the spuds or higher up the body.
I thought deliberate firing at the CBM was knocked on the head (pardon the pun) due to some getting a round that stopped the heart on impact.
Rather thought the heart stopping moment was pre the rubber bullet - it's predecessor was a wooden number with a bit of copper on it. That now certainly did the business! The bouncer wasn't from what I remember (and from conversations with those that did the early punch tours) technically allowed. However when done it gave the added bonus of that extra touch of gravel. Even better with a couple of old non green ideally batteries!

A variation on the technique was to ricochet them off walls at head height, nicely effective in narrow crowded alleyways.

My memory from the '80s and '90s training - which may well be mistaken - was just to try and hit the effing target, and that bouncing them was no-no. Before the H&Ks came in it was quite a challenge to do so.

My memory from the '80s and '90s training - which may well be mistaken - was just to try and hit the effing target, and that bouncing them was no-no. Before the H&Ks came in it was quite a challenge to do so.

I did my NI PO training in mid 84 & we were given the old FRG & I'm sure it was bouncy bouncy buts it so long ago I'm probably talking bollocks.

I have a lovely sequence of B&W snaps l took in Derry in summer of 1978, of a certain OC giving the good news ("Your baton round to the spuds has arrived, sir") to a lad who thought the meshed thingy he'd ripped off a handy retailers window was like Captain America's shield.

To add insult to injury, Dingo, the camp mongrel then hares off into the crowd to retrieve the spent projectile like he was chasing a stick :)

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10