Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

That may have been the case, by then. It was not the case when we were getting ready to leave Hemer.

I would surely have remembered that.

Our successors were 1 WFR.

In 30 years, I never met another regiment with its collective head so far up its own collective arrse.

Their officers mess seemed to have cornered the market in arrogant pompous nondescript tweed-clad mediocrities.
1 WFR were still there when we took over from 1 RHF. I remember the Woofers as being fairly amicable neighbours compared to our shenanigans with the LI who replaced them.

It's just now occurred to me that if you can find the date and place of that premature detonation, and cross-reference it with the CAIN online NI fatalities database, you'll get the name of sausage man.
. . . so that's what I did.

It was 16 October 1976. He was one of 3 killed that night. A whole ASU :) by their own hand.

CAIN database:
CAIN: Sutton Index of Deaths

Sausage man would be the first named and oldest of the three on that date.

Last edited:
1 WFR were still there when we took over from 1 RHF. I remember the Woofers as being fairly amicable neighbours compared to our shenanigans with the LI who replaced them.
For clarity.

I wasn't thinking about the ORs, just the tweedy pipe-smoking self-regarding clones in the WFR orrsifers mess.

Hope this helps.

Yes that will be the NITAT chaps - boys will be boys!
Remember being fed slide upon slide of the Warren Point mortuary photos before we went out in 1980.
Were the slide shows to 'expose' guys to what potential horrors they might see, or to breed resentment and anger and fire them up before going on tour?

Bugger. Just tried to send him an e mail and my server doesn't recognise his address.
Earlier I tried to send Mr. Grimshaw a message at the email address from his website, which I have used successfully before, and my server wouldn't recognize it. I tried within the last 10 minutes and now it works. I don't know if there was a glitch or what in the network.

I asked him to reply, and when he does, I'll say that the handsomest Green Jacket ever is looking to say 'hullo.'

Cheers,
Dan.

Were the slide shows to 'expose' guys to what potential horrors they might see, or to breed resentment and anger and fire them up before going on tour?
To demonstrate what could happen if you feked up or were just unlucky.
Most people are not exposed to graphic images in the media-------- these showed the realities.

Earlier I tried to send Mr. Grimshaw a message at the email address from his website, which I have used successfully before, and my server wouldn't recognize it. I tried within the last 10 minutes and now it works. I don't know if there was a glitch or what in the network.

I asked him to reply, and when he does, I'll say that the handsomest Green Jacket ever is looking to say 'hullo.'

Cheers,
Dan.
But I haven't e:mailed anyone...and I am fookin gorgeous ;)
Cartoon buglers.jpg

Is that a serious question?

Divis c. 71 - must have been nowt on the telly
P1020265.JPG

But I haven't e:mailed anyone...and I am fookin gorgeous ;) View attachment 360811
Last time I saw the Artist of the above he was watching my back as we recovered a hyjacked truck in the lower falls in the day after internment. I had hoped it was full of No 6 or Harp.......it was dead chickens, but rounds were flying, the air was black with smoke and he didn't hesitate when I ordered him out to cover me as I dashed for the cab. Fortunately the keys were still in the ignition and we made our way back to Mullhouse street with me on the pedal and Rik hanging on to the cab door swinging in the wind.....a good lad, a young lad and definately one of the chosen men.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Befast City today 8th November is really quite immaculate. See the 'Peace line' that still exists but with the 'local's choice.' There seems no trouble regarding it, but every year or so there is a local vote to continue with it or to take it down, at the moment locals want it to remain. The wall graffiti is a little more colourful these days. The City cleaning squads are to be seen from early morning until late at night. The city Hall picture shows the standard of natural stone or granite paving that is used throughout the City. It is a thriving city and very good to see!

Attachments

Befast City today 8th November is really quite immaculate. See the 'Peace line' that still exists but with the 'local's choice.' There seems no trouble regarding it, but every year or so there is a local vote to continue with it or to take it down, at the moment locals want it to remain. The wall graffiti is a little more colourful these days. The City cleaning squads are to be seen from early morning until late at night. The city Hall picture shows the standard of natural stone or granite paving that is used throughout the City. It is a thriving city and very good to see!
I've been over a few times, through work, going from the Ferry terminal to Hartland & Wolf. The Titanic area is very good. Looking forward to seeing HMS Caroline sometime.

Al Jazeera showed a programme about the peace line a few weeks ago, those interviewed were intelligent, artistic, reasonable sounding people on the green side of the line and a gobby, loud, tattooed, fat lesbian tub thumper on the orange.
A totally unbiased piece of course.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A bit like this wall?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J The Intelligence Cell 5
J Old & Bold 10