Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Do you remember his name? And the year he was with you?

Cheers,
Dan.
His name was Lou Grimshaw and it would be around 1969- ish. Lovely bloke, absolute gent.

His name was Lou Grimshaw and it would be around 1969- ish. Lovely bloke, absolute gent.
I have the honour to inform you that Major Grimshaw (ret'd) is still alive and kicking, and running an antique medals and decorations business in Kingston, ON. I see him at military shows regularly. In fact, one is coming up on Saturday the 17th next. I have to agree that he is a very nice person.

His website can be found here.

Cheers,
Dan.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thanks for that Dan. I will drop him an e mail. And do give him my best when yu see him next.

And thus a good fit for his wegiment.
All the ones I met were absolute twats, I mean who in there right mind volunteers to join a Regiment nicknamed the woofers, during a particularly soggy exercise on sennybridge with some yank mob doing some joint training there was a platoon of woofers being general dogs bodies and gofers and some of the throbbers were calling themselves chosen men because one of the twats had miss read his Regimental history about one of the predecessors being the 95th foot and then miss read a sharpe novel put 95th rifles and his mob together and come up with some absolute shite about the light company chosen men and rifles, the tits

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have the honour to inform you that Major Grimshaw (ret'd) is still alive and kicking, and running an antique medals and decorations business in Kingston, ON. I see him at military shows regularly. In fact, one is coming up on Saturday the 17th next. I have to agree that he is a very nice person.

Cheers,
Dan.
Bugger. Just tried to send him an e mail and my server doesn't recognise his address.

I'm having one of my now, very common, senior moments, but who the fook is WFR? I'm guessing Westmoorland Forestry Rangers =D
The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment.

After a particular incident in Dorni Vakuf where a local armed criminal was found hiding under one of their corrimecs by RS police, they became known as What Fence Repairs?

All the ones I met were absolute twats, I mean who in there right mind volunteers to join a Regiment nicknamed the woofers, during a particularly soggy exercise on sennybridge with some yank mob doing some joint training there was a platoon of woofers being general dogs bodies and gofers and some of the throbbers were calling themselves chosen men because one of the twats had miss read his Regimental history about one of the predecessors being the 95th foot and then miss read a sharpe novel put 95th rifles and his mob together and come up with some absolute shite about the light company chosen men and rifles, the tits
Oh! WFR is woofers...what a fookin tribe that was. Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters. You just wouldn't would you...I mean :eek::tp:

Cheers,
Dan.
That's because he's trying to sell you something, so he's unlikely to treat you like knuckle dragging pond life. BUT, I don't know him, so will bow to the collective wisdom that he's a good egg.

The personality type of those who worked for INLA was always more psychopathic than the mainstream PIRA gangster, and the results of their activities frequently more unjustifiably bloody. Dominic McGlinchey exemplified the type. WIS, RUC SOCO and the cordons at the scenes of their exploits were more than usually sickened by them. The later feud gave us all a great deal of pleasure as their players were picked off.
I remember hearing at NITAT that most of INLA had either been booted from or refused entry to the Provo's because they were too mental.
They mentioned one particular genius.He opened up on a PVCP or a Sanger with a colt 45,using a lamppost as cover.

Dymchurch redoubt - I think it was called the MUFF range, but I maybe wrong.

Troops would be in sangers on the roof - white boxes at 9 O'clock in the photo. Shots from various weapons would be fired towards the sangers, and if one could identify the location of the shooter one could fire back. One of the serials involved a dummy priest moving into a firing point shortly after a shooting - the riest always received massive quantities of incoming despite the DS's shouts of 'stop'.

As I remember it, the aims of the serials were identification of firing point and type of round - HV / LV; and accurate reporting - e.g. time, number shots fired, firing point etc
I always gave Rick O,Sheas cafe the good news.

I always gave Rick O,Sheas cafe the good news.
30 years time we'll be summoned to give evidence of genocidal British Army training

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J The Intelligence Cell 5
J Old & Bold 10