Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Jungle maps were bad, but desert ones! Our first foray into Libya and the map was a uniform brown all over.As an aside; my company commander, a really nice chap, but perhaps not the best soldier, took a compass reading on a prominent feature and chose our course. 2 hours later, this feature had moved about 240 degrees. Close inspection by a friendly helicopter showed it to be a group of camels. And we were lost.

Jungle maps were bad, but desert ones! Our first foray into Libya and the map was a uniform brown all over.As an aside; my company commander, a really nice chap, but perhaps not the best soldier, took a compass reading on a prominent feature and chose our course. 2 hours later, this feature had moved about 240 degrees. Close inspection by a friendly helicopter showed it to be a group of camels. And we were lost.

During prep before breaching the berm in 1991, I was handed a slack handful of local maps.

One, which covered a part of the Southern Iraqi desert, was blank.

Apart from 2 inches of a single black line which bisected the extreme lower left corner. It was the only road in the area.

1652516434557.png

Not Guilty - Your Honour

PM sent
Received and replied, ta!
The lunatic KOSB Cpl whose name I will not divulge went missing on return to HK and appeared 24 hrs before we flew back. In that short time he had spent all his cash, was still pissed and had some incredible tattoos including a couple of humping mice on his ear - try explaining that one away.

We are in a stand of trees north of FIIK. Over.

Banner photos to Brunei maps/JW Instructors and Camel spotting in the desert ... by way of a small diversion. Just to remind us all that an officer with a map can be dangerous.

"Sgt Smith, why is that Telephone box painted green and not red?"

Banner photos to Brunei maps/JW Instructors and Camel spotting in the desert ... by way of a small diversion. Just to remind us all that an officer with a map can be dangerous.

"Sgt Smith, why is that Telephone box painted green and not red?"
O yes, easy to do in parts of Fermanagh. Good picture painted by Johnny Wade late 1 RHF which is in I think The National Army Museum of a map reading incident on the wrong side of the border.
BTW Even the great 22 SAS got lost the wrong side!

Latest Threads