Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Scotby Doo was the Allis Chalmers MWT
Coincidentally fell over this earlier on, the first soldier interviewed is RE and a Scooby Do driver, gave evidence at the inquests recently and it was concluded he was a bit of a fruit loop. Interesting documentary though

Coincidentally fell over this earlier on, the first soldier interviewed is RE and a Scooby Do driver, gave evidence at the inquests recently and it was concluded he was a bit of a fruit loop. Interesting documentary though

After all this time few of us are "normal" as Mrs FP will testify.

Do you remember when they came in? I only recall Muir Hills with armoured cabs in 71/72.
Muir Hill was a light wheeled tractor and the Allis Chalmers a Medium Wheeled Tractor. Both were in service when I was on Motorman in 72. I trained on both on my POM course. The LWT could not pick up burning/ dumped cars. Both could have armoured cabs and were a tad warm to work in.
We used to stand in the buckets of both to have the elevation to construct sight and rocket screens as seen in the photos upthread in Lenadoon.

Muir Hill was a light wheeled tractor and the Allis Chalmers a Medium Wheeled Tractor. Both were in service when I was on Motorman in 72. I trained on both on my POM course. The LWT could not pick up burning/ dumped cars. Both could have armoured cabs and were a tad warm to work in.
We used to stand in the buckets of both to have the elevation to construct sight and rocket screens as seen in the photos upthread in Lenadoon.
Think we only had Muriels at the Kesh, perhaps the Alice came from bridge camp. The slang names were from a POM and I got a telling off from Gravel-Gob (MPF) for using them!

Think we only had Muriels at the Kesh, perhaps the Alice came from bridge camp. The slang names were from a POM and I got a telling off from Gravel-Gob (MPF) for using them!
SCAN0085.JPG

Dozer as well, Track marshall I think

Last edited:
So, it was you made the rat swimming pool. Is that the shower block at the back? With the rain there, sometimes it was cold shower, warm shower, then cold shower again, and back to the hut for a dry off in front of the 'jet engine' heater. The fun we had! Or is that Waterbeach?
Poetry, sheer poetry . . .

So, it was you made the rat swimming pool. Is that the shower block at the back? With the rain there, sometimes it was cold shower, warm shower, then cold shower again, and back to the hut for a dry off in front of the 'jet engine' heater. The fun we had! Or is that Waterbeach?
SCAN0091.JPG

5 star accomadation block ;) ;) :)

If totally bored give a subaltern a map.
Very dangerous, after the giggles have grown thin then murder becomes a viable option. By that stage all NCOs must be engaged and the said Subaltern can turn it into a mini lesson in the field.
Having had the privilege of leading Scottish troops in the UK, BAOR and NI and been spectacularly lost many times I used that dark art to extricate myself from many near death scenarios!

Very dangerous, after the giggles have grown thin then murder becomes a viable option. By that stage all NCOs must be engaged and the said Subaltern can turn it into a mini lesson in the field.
Having had the privilege of leading Scottish troops in the UK, BAOR and NI and been spectacularly lost many times I used that dark art to extricate myself from many near death scenarios!

You'd have been REALLY perplexed in Sarawak, in some Divisions... most of the maps were blank except for the odd decent sized river!

Latest Threads