Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

EA54F3E8-DC89-4092-B452-A4FB4A504C8E.jpeg

1977. One of the last 3 in the province. Now the tune’s in your head…

HE117

LE
The uncertainty can lead to madness. I remember coming back from the Festival of Remembrance to Pirbright - with us all hoping to catch ourselves on the TV recording - to be told to get into combats and spend the rest of that long night searching the woods behind the barracks for Bob Nairac.
Patrick Mercer wrote a newspaper piece about Bob Nairac operating in XMG at one time. He specifically mentions him visiting a cellar bar in XMG.

I’ve visited the same bar when out on a routine patrol in the village once when I was there in 74/75. I recall the place well because when I spoke to a young woman working behind the bar, she responded in a broad brummie accent.

A very surprised young soldier asked her how on earth had she had ended up working there? She then informed me that she was married to the owner of the bar.

Many years later when I read Mercer’s article, it brought back memories of it all.

Fingers crossed that one day, Captain Nairac’s family and his Regiment will be able to finally lay him to rest with due honours.

60th of Foot.
While on the Staff at Sandhurst I had a mate called Pete B-ty of the 60th of Foot. He wore a black shiny plastic belt and black un-shinable badges and titles, the Academy RSM hated him for it, and bollocked him off all the photos shoots and important parades. Pete went along with this and was so very grateful for it!

One dark wet night in 1966 Pete and I were Civ Pop for a college Ex on Hankley common, both of us dressed in flasher's macs, army boots and yorkshire flat caps. I was up in a loft and Pete patrolled the farm yard. He was suddenly set upon by men in civvies and black cars of the day and arrested with shouts of 'Stand still and don't move! . I thought this was part of the ex and lay low. At End Ex, I was asked where Pete was, I gave my story, however later that day Pete was back with us. It was at the time when all of Southern England was looking for 'Harry Roberts' who had killed a policeman. Pete had been taken as him. It was in the daily mirror cartoon the following day with a soldier being held on the ground shouting 'Harry Who? I was told a few years later that Pete became RSM of his Battalion.
Harry Roberts ex RB shot dead 3 policeman who were chasing him in Epping Forest where he had been camping. I believe this was 1958. I may be wrong. Knew Pete Batey 2RGJ very well when I was 2RGJ. Top man.

Harry Roberts ex RB shot dead 3 policeman who were chasing him in Epping Forest where he had been camping. I believe this was 1958. I may be wrong. Knew Pete Batey 2RGJ very well when I was 2RGJ. Top man.
On reflection it was 1966 - memory not what it was!

The Provos equivalent of Banksy.
He was a bit crap, to be honest.
IRA Murals.jpg

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I remember a choon, sung on the terraces at Roker Park, late 60s, to the tune of London Bridge Is Falling Down.

Harry Roberts is our friend, is our friend, is our friend.
Harry Roberts is our friend.
He kills coppers.

I remember a choon, sung on the terraces at Roker Park, late 60s, to the tune of London Bridge Is Falling Down.

He kills coppers.

Here’s a Harry Roberts joke of the time, only the really old will get it.

“Roberts was caught yesterday in a phone box, he pressed button B and four coppers fell out”

Tommo016

Clanker
West Belfast 96

Attachments

• 567DD8BA-1E2A-43E0-B8E0-B378CBBB276B.jpeg
    567DD8BA-1E2A-43E0-B8E0-B378CBBB276B.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 170
  • A2B0791C-CAAC-4EE3-952F-A009885ED890.jpeg
    A2B0791C-CAAC-4EE3-952F-A009885ED890.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 170

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Patrick Mercer wrote a newspaper piece about Bob Nairac operating in XMG at one time. He specifically mentions him visiting a cellar bar in XMG.

I’ve visited the same bar when out on a routine patrol in the village once when I was there in 74/75. I recall the place well because when I spoke to a young woman working behind the bar, she responded in a broad brummie accent.

A very surprised young soldier asked her how on earth had she had ended up working there? She then informed me that she was married to the owner of the bar.

Many years later when I read Mercer’s article, it brought back memories of it all.

Fingers crossed that one day, Captain Nairac’s family and his Regiment will be able to finally lay him to rest with due honours.
I suspect not, it's the last petty revenge that those petty little cowards can claim.

The 4 lines on the extreme right ring a bit hollow these days, don'tcha think?
I did think about adding something about that, along the lines of people still think harshly of you, you murdering cowardly scum, but decided against it.

He kills coppers.
Sorry, hardly a folk hero, he murdered 3 unarmed policemen David Wombwell, Christopher Head and Geoffrey Fox in the Foxtrot 11 murders at Shepherds Bush. To me he is the same level of pondlife as the murdering IRA scum