Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

In fairness, our ‘Queen’ was (and still is as far as we’re concerned), Queen Catherine of Braganza, wife of Charles II.
There was method in our madness, as in 1714 we had temporarily been styled ‘Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales’s Own Royal Regiment of Foot’ (we didn’t tell the Hamsters that), the plan being when the silly one we’d inherited in the amalgamation became Queen, we would reclaim our ancient title! Sadly, as we all know, she wasn’t up to the job and resigned sometime ahead of her trip to Paris.
On which basis, I retract some of what I previously posted :-D
Not sure what, yet - Readers - don't hold your breath​

I dunno which bits - but it's not a story to make obsession with wegimental antecedence look like the pathway to battlefield excelence, is it?

This could have gone into 'Music', but since it contains photo's aka video, and refers to one of the greatest atrocities/failures of Op Banner, I put it here - (it also concerns one of our own):

Thanks for that. As a rule, I'm not into the mawkish 'sound bites' but it serves a purpose however put. PIRA/Sinn Fein continues to renege on this outstanding promise to retrieve those still 'missing'.

I appreciate that in most instances PIRA/Sinn Fein have had personal contact with the families of the disappeared, offered apologies/ condolences... blah....blah..blah...... We're a Celtic race, so the remains of a once personality requires their presence and a proper interment.

Thanks for that. As a rule, I'm not into the mawkish 'sound bites' but it serves a purpose however put. PIRA/Sinn Fein continues to renege on this outstanding promise to retrieve those still 'missing'.

I appreciate that in most instances PIRA/Sinn Fein have had personal contact with the families of the disappeared, offered apologies/ condolences... blah....blah..blah...... We're a Celtic race, so the remains of a once personality requires their presence and a proper interment.
Absolutely. There are three outstanding still missing and I guess the music is intended to try to raise the matter or stoke some interest. I took a look at each of these and found controversy and confusion, different of course, in each case, but possibly the reason for lack of progress. Time to let it go and bring them home.

I doubt they used Donegal for that purpose - too many arms dumps in the area back in the day. More likely to be Monaghan or Louth I suspect.

The uncertainty can lead to madness. I remember coming back from the Festival of Remembrance to Pirbright - with us all hoping to catch ourselves on the TV recording - to be told to get into combats and spend the rest of that long night searching the woods behind the barracks for Bob Nairac.

The uncertainty can lead to madness. I remember coming back from the Festival of Remembrance to Pirbright - with us all hoping to catch ourselves on the TV recording - to be told to get into combats and spend the rest of that long night searching the woods behind the barracks for Bob Nairac.
Tragic incident. One of the factors of confusion may have been that the PIRA Northern Command included the border counties which provided more than the AQ type of support from their Southern Command - a relatively new organizational structure that came into play around the time of Robert Nairac's disappearance. A lot of flux - also on our own side at the time.

You were looking for him in Pirbright? Or have I completely misunderstood?

Coming into land at Long Kesh - a good view of the notorious H Blocks.
I think I was going back from the Front to attend a JOTES study day - all I can remember is getting absolutely sh1tfaced for a couple of days with the subaltern officers of the Battleaxe Coy, 32 Regt RA who were the duty war-dodgers getting an NI medal for doing a month in the Maze at the time.

849D3241-6050-4340-BC61-BDB41750466B.jpeg

Slipper City!
The entrance to Bessbrook Mill and possibly the most photographed sign in the Province…..

242A6043-E53D-47BC-9698-160DBB2E5054.jpeg

Coming into land at Long Kesh - a good view of the notorious H Blocks.
I think I was going back from the Front to attend a JOTES study day - all I can remember is getting absolutely sh1tfaced for a couple of days with the subaltern officers of the Battleaxe Coy, 32 Regt RA who were the duty war-dodgers getting an NI medal for doing a month in the Maze at the time.

View attachment 619642
You poor bastard! RAF exchange pilot i.e. failed fast jet pilot.

You were looking for him in Pirbright? Or have I completely misunderstood?

Yes. Apparently a code verified message was received to say that his body had been dumped near the sandhill. They were just fu##ing with us of course. But he'd been an officer in our battalion and sensitivities were high. Strange times. I found poppy petals on a path that hadn't yet been walked - just like the ones that came down on us at the Albert Hall.