Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Setting the scene for a smooth and harmonious amalgamation in the years to come . . .
Indeed. Some of the ‘accused’ on both sides, found themselves sharing a Sgt’s Mess when the amalgamation happened.

Didn't The Hampshire's get mashed into the Rifles along with the DERR and Gloucester's?
I wish! No, sadly their undernourished little part-battalion was amalgamated with The Queen’s Regiment to form the PWRR.

No one in their Division of Infantry wanted anything to do with them.

Didn't The Hampshire's get mashed into the Rifles along with the DERR and Gloucester's?
Confusing as things have lately become, no.

They amalgamated with The Queen's Regiment, sidestepped HM the Q, got Squidgy (by then at the height of her popularity with the hoi-polloi and the gutter press loyal subjects of the Crown and the gentlemen of Fleet Street ) to sign up as titular head of the new mob, thus - rather gracelessly - deleting (during a living Queen's reign) from the Army Order of Battle a regimental title of considerable antiquity in favour of Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment (which doesn't even trip off the tongue)

Last edited:
We had that post RSF/HLI amalgamation and it lasted for years.
Aye, indeed. We were, in some corners of various Messes, still trying to get over the rump of our 4th Bn (Middlesex) joining us as C Company in 1970 and the resultant loss our of old Titles.

I wish! No, sadly their undernourished little part-battalion was amalgamated with The Queen’s Regiment to form the PWRR.

No one in their Division of Infantry wanted anything to do with them.
I'm all for regimental pride etc etc (and have plenty in my own) - but this is the sort of utter bollix that makes us all look stupid every time a defence review comes round.

And we wonder why we get stiffed every time by those services that don't destroy themselves through petty tribal warfare...

but this is the sort of utter bollix that makes us all look stupid every time a defence review comes round.
It must be in its death throes, by now - (in my mind, at any rate) there's barely any regimental names on the ORBAT now that existed in 1991 (when the USSR and Warsaw Pact collapsed), and those that were are pretty much down to a single battalion, and thus ripe for amalgamation into a.n. other laughably named creation, thus cunningly dancing around the prospect of having a single, coherent infantry organisation.

We had that post RSF/HLI amalgamation and it lasted for years.
Same-same in RRF.

Amalgamated St George's Day 1968 as a regiment of 4 x Bns

Of which the 4th (heretofore t'LF, or 20th of Foot) was deleted exactly 12 months later, its members for the most part redistributed to the remaining 3 x Bns

One of which (2RRF - mine) had previously been the plain vanilla Warwickshire Regiment until 1958, (formation of the Fusilier Brigade)

It was not funny, let me tell you, to be soldiering in 2RRF in the early 1980s under a CO commissined into t'LF 20 years earlier, who seemed to regard his tenure as an opportunity to get his own back on the midlander upstarts who 'Usurped And Destroyed His Regiment' . . . .

Didn't really resolve itself until the point where COs and RSMs were of the generation that was enlisted/commissioned into RRF, and even then it was usually easier to have a Bn CO appointed whose prior history was AngleIron or Queens who would (more-or-less readily) adopt the 2RRF interpretation of wegimental customs/ mess manners etc.

Get a CO (known across the regiment as 'Is A Moron') from the Forst Battalion appointed to theSecond, and - Ho Lee Fvck: we were simply "Doing It All Wrong".

The stuff of nightmares, I tell ye . . . . .

I'm all for regimental pride etc etc (and have plenty in my own) - but this is the sort of utter bollix that makes us all look stupid every time a defence review comes round.

And we wonder why we get stiffed every time by those services that don't destroy themselves through petty tribal warfare...
Hahaha! All very sanctimonious and grown up, I’m sure. I’m sure your pride in a TA Mobile Bath Unit or some such is second to none……
This sort of thing has nothing to do with defence reviews. This was over 35 years ago in the days when the Army was a different kettle of fish to whatever is left of it today. As for other Services, you’ve clearly you’ve never been in town when the Fleet are having a run ashore - mind you, I’m not so sure that we’ve got much of a fleet left to run anywhere these days? I’ve been in or near a few scrapes over the years, but not much could compare with watching the Andrew kick the sh1t out of each other on Ex OPEN DOOR(?) in Gib back in the day - add a few Americans to the mix and it was simply awesome, in the purest sense of the word.

Same-same in RRF.

Amalgamated St George's Day 1968 as a regiment of 4 x Bns

Of which the 4th (heretofore t'LF, or 20th of Foot) was deleted exactly 12 months later, its members for the most part redistributed to the remaining 3 x Bns

One of which (2RRF - mine) had previously been the plain vanilla Warwickshire Regiment until 1958, (formation of the Fusilier Brigade)

It was not funny, let me tell you, to be soldiering in 2RRF in the early 1980s under a CO commissined into t'LF 20 years earlier, who seemed to regard his tenure as an opportunity to get his own back on the midlander upstarts who 'Usurped And Destroyed His Regiment' . . . .

Didn't really resolve itself until the point where COs and RSMs were of the generation that was enlisted/commissioned into RRF, and even then it was usually easier to have a Bn CO appointed whose prior history was AngleIron or Queens who would (more-or-less readily) adopt the 2RRF interpretation of wegimental customs/ mess manners etc.

Get a CO (known across the regiment as 'Is A Moron') from the Forst Battalion appointed to theSecond, and - Ho Lee Fvck: we were simply "Doing It All Wrong".

The stuff of nightmares, I tell ye . . . . .
The first CO of which you speak, last name starts with C and was one of 'THEM'?

Hahaha! All very sanctimonious and grown up, I’m sure. I’m sure your pride in a TA Mobile Bath Unit or some such is second to none……
This sort of thing has nothing to do with defence reviews. This was over 35 years ago in the days when the Army was a different kettle of fish to whatever is left of it today.
Ah, bless, how did you know? Most people love the bath units anyway. Perhaps you were a grungy type.

More seriously, the obsession with cap badges, "The Wegiment" (your term not mine) and the petty internecine hatreds in which you appear to take such joy (even within your own Regiment FFS) are the sort of thing that do us all no favours. I have seen more than enough of it in my 38 years of service.

Time to move on, grandad, Waterloo was a long time ago :)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
How does all this stuff about long dead regimental rivalries fit in with Op BANNER photos?

HE117

LE
Ah, bless, how did you know? Most people love the bath units anyway. Perhaps you were a grungy type.
The TA Bath and Laundry Squadron was a wonderous organisation. It was almost completely run by Scousers who all seemed to be related...

As one might imagine, the "ownership" of such a facility was not without benefits, and they seemed to have had something of a charmed existence, with never any funding issues for squadron events....!

Latest Threads