Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

And (I think, for a brief period in the late '70s) RMP, although I may be wildly mistook on that.
RMP did City patrols in the early days (No2s, silly hat etc) but stopped at some point when that was found to be unwise. During my time, they had the Waterside. In that period (76-78) , I remember RTR, RA and Queens at Fort George, 2Coldstream on a long tour at Ebrington and too many bns in the City to remember, including DWR and PWO.

During my time, they had the Waterside. In that period (76-78 )
That'll be it. My lot (2 RRF) were 'Derry roulement in summer 1978, and I knew I'd seen RMP pretending to be soldiers on that tour :-D

I was in Fort George, which was closed down upon our departure. The OCs office had a little Haig whisky bottle in a padlocked frame on the windowsill, with a plate inscribed "For the last man, on the last day, to the last drop", with the padlock key in the safe.

He reckoned that he qualified, so on the last day, he unlocked and opened it.

Sadly the bottle's pale amber liquid content turned out to be piss, of uncertain vintage, but great maturity.

That'll be it. My lot (2 RRF) were 'Derry roulement in summer 1978, and I knew I'd seen RMP pretending to be soldiers on that tour :-D

I was in Fort George, which was closed down upon our departure. The OCs office had a little Haig whisky bottle in a padlocked frame on the windowsill, with a plate inscribed "For the last man, on the last day, to the last drop", with the padlock key in the safe.

Sadly the bottle's pale amber liquid content turned out to be piss, of uncertain vintage, but great maturity.
I had one of your hackles from then on a bookshelf here until I looked for it a year or so ago. I think the dog had it, too.

I had one of your hackles from then on a bookshelf here until I looked for it a year or so ago. I think the dog had it, too.
Coulda been worse.

There's an old pub near Catterick, in Reeth (the Black Bull?) had a Fusilier badge and hackle pinned colourfully to an oaken bar upright (amongst all sorts of other pretty stuff, like exotic banknotes) when I first frequented the place in 1975.

10 years later I went back, and saw no sign of any of this.

Only on closer inspection did I discover it was still there.

Embalmed, nay - encased like Han Solo - in the thick dark brown carapace only exhaled tobacco smoke can give :-(

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Hands up everybody who followed the link to check his own regiment. And weep at the huge list of regiments, particularly infantry, no longer with us.

My hand is raised.
None of the 3 I served in exists any longer, it is a crying shame.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

They must have opened it up again then - it was certainly a base in the 80s and only closed for good in the 90s I think.

Just about to be flogged and redeveloped:

They must have opened it up again then - it was certainly a base in the 80s and only closed for good in the 90s I think.

Just about to be flogged and redeveloped:

Certainly there after that time. I was in and out of RUC Shantallow/Fort George in 91/92. Work up there occasionally and still look at the site when i drive past half expecting to see the sangar and front gate facing the road. Working all over the province now I often pass by fields, new houses, car parks where I knew some form of SF presence once stood. You’d never know they were there, although occasionally there’s some small trace left. A concrete mast base or blast wall which wasn’t removed and is now just part of the scenery.

Last edited:

Proff3RTR

War Hero
My cap badge still exists, but much reduced. When I joined, the RRF had three regular battalions (four when first formed) and two TA. One of each now.
I joined in 88 and even since then we have been culled beyond what anyone can say is a sensible level. Those responsible have no idea what they have done to our nations defense or the damage to moral within the armed forces.

Latest Threads