Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I was based there in 69 when a Wessex had to abort when an A41 antenna 'flew' out the door and hit the rear rotor. What are the remnants of a building in the background?
the 1st Earl of Ranfurleys Mansion, all that is left, before that there was a castle there, but it was also attacked and destroyed a few times
Time Team had a dig there

the 1st Earl of Ranfurleys Mansion, all that is left, before that there was a castle there, but it was also attacked and destroyed a few times
Time Team had a dig there

All I remember was the TA building and an OO Hall. Police Station was at the top of the Square. And Ranfurly Cafe for coffee. Great place in 69

ETA If Big Mary is reading this, I have always regretted not getting on the back of the Bus at the bus Depot with you! :cool:

Last edited:

War Hero
Just be a little cautious about what gets posted. Some people read these threads to pick up evidence of bad behaviour for various reasons - propaganda or prosecution.

Modifying ammunition to increase its lethality goes into very serious territory and would not be covered by the GFA or Tony’s letter of comfort!

Baton rounds were designed and designated as non-lethal projectiles. Have a quick skim through the relevant Geneva Convention etc

Last edited:
I see the handbrake is on in the top picture.
Ha ha. As @ericferret says it is the pilot seat height adjustment. Spring loaded to the “full up” position but was always left in the “fully down” position when leaving the aircraft.

You very soon learned not to go anywhere near the button when clambering in as a whack in the knackers was the result. Poor design but not as poor as putting the heater control and the main fuel cut-off next to each other.

Ha ha. As @ericferret says it is the pilot seat height adjustment. Spring loaded to the “full up” position but was always left in the “fully down” position when leaving the aircraft.

You very soon learned not to go anywhere near the button when clambering in as a whack in the knackers was the result. Poor design but not as poor as putting the heater control and the main fuel cut-off next to each other.
Lots of poor design features, but it was of it's time and a tough military aircraft.
Westlands successor Leonardo continues the tradition of shit design with the AW169 helicopter.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Too many people on here are letting their imaginations get the better of good sense.

KnightsofRowallan

LE
Book Reviewer
DSC01086.JPG

I'm sure you can work out where this was taken.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Last edited:

HE117

LE

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads