Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

The advantages were the overall size and weight of the SA80 vs that rifle.
Someone else will have done both in NI.
The thing about the SA80 was it had a clip to hold it across your chest and leave both hands free to do other tasks.
The High Ups said no, and therefore on tour hands would be on the rifle (as it was then being called) at all times.
LSW was also inadequately introduced (my burden), and that brought further issues.
The clip and extra sling was the clever bit. Unclipped it was still in your hands and totally usable, but always tied to you. Clipped and worn on the back or front hands were free to operate the mortar or whatever. I never understood units that didn’t issue the whole thing as it was designed.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I would suggest it was probably an urban thing - hence not being seen much in rural areas. There was a threat of being caught up in a situation where your weapon might be snatched - I'm pretty sure that had happened before and being attached to it was seen as a partial mitigation. Attaching the sling to the front swivel is a daft SOP as if your weapon is taken it can easily be turned and pointed at you, the opposite is the case if it is attached at the rear swivel.

I'm not doubting anyone's recollections, but I can say for my frame of reference in West Belfast with the SLR from '83 - '88 it was always rear swivel.

It wasn't seen as a fad either - I always thought it sensible to prepare for the worst at all times, people who didn't were asking for trouble.
'Twas the same for us in the early days, '69 and onward. Although, to fair, our Baker rifles only held the one round.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Weren't rifle slings attached to the wrist by the soldiers operating in Aden? I seem to recall having seen photographs of that.
Yes, and in Borneo when in camp. We took them to showers, toilets' and when eating. Even slept with them.

.. oh I don't think so!

I have mixed it with the best of them on Creggan Heights.. I just can't remember junior officers wading in with batons.. They were usually trying to keep tabs on WTF was going on and telling the Ops room to F Off...

Obviously opinions varied..!
Oh if you hae been
Where I hae been

Strangely enough someone mentioned Ann Stree earlier/ Always an area for a wee spot of bother.

Edited to add - memories flooding back. Can you remember Mike Th........? He was attached to the Regt I was with from 1OFP and I found the obligatory Regimental Painting by Ken Howard the other the day. He is the Occifer in the painting,

As an aside one of my Gunners asked me when I Joined the RHA due to my RAOC cap badge. The irony :) :) :) :)

Oh if you hae been
Where I hae been

Strangely enough someone mentioned Ann Stree earlier/ Always an area for a wee spot of bother.

Edited to add - memories flooding back. Can you remember Mike Th........? He was attached to the Regt I was with from 1OFP and I found the obligatory Regimental Painting by Ken Howard the other the day. He is the Occifer in the painting,

As an aside one of my Gunners asked me when I Joined the RHA due to my RAOC cap badge. The irony :) :) :) :)
I'll raise ye a Gaberlunzie

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Weren't rifle slings attached to the wrist by the soldiers operating in Aden? I seem to recall having seen photographs of that.
Not in these three cases
1619184519227.png

As indeed it was in the same TAOR in 1975, and in Londonderry in '78

Co Armagh '76 - no slings at all.

Co Armagh '91 (SA80) slings at all times, but since they were 3-point, the issue didn't arise.
And mag on the floor

And mag on the floor
The need for soldiers to carry a roll of insulating tape as a precaution against that eventuality had been addressed by 1991.

Which is not intended in any way to conceal my astonishment - 5 years earlier, on my first exposure to the weapon in the hands of 2RGJ as Demo Bn - that such a bleedin' obvious design flaw had been overlooked until first contact with actual users.

Thanx ITDU, et al.

I'll raise ye a Gaberlunzie
I'm fascinated - must have been edited by a Septic (or the most dense of Sassenachs) to feature a Royle Scots cap badge in a video singing the praises of an entirely different tribe.

And I wasn't even paying close attention - how many other mobs featured in that fillum?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yup noticed that.
Rather think the whole Scottish Division and a dubious police pipe band stared, not excluding of course the dodgy chap in the mac at the end!
And a few Canuck Jocks too.

I'm fascinated - must have been edited by a Septic (or the most dense of Sassenachs) to feature a Royle Scots cap badge in a video singing the praises of an entirely different tribe.

And I wasn't even paying close attention - how many other mobs featured in that fillum?
i never knew the Royle family were involved.

Sorry mate a cheap one but its early in the mornin' :D

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Very close to the start is a parade where all are wearing Red Hackles of the Black Watch

Latest Threads