Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Ah... but was he a Protestant Jew or a Catholic Jew?
I was so tempted to tell the Harry Taub joke about the Ulster Jew walking though Belfast in the 70s.

HE117

LE
I was so tempted to tell the Harry Taub joke about the Ulster Jew walking though Belfast in the 70s.
I remembered the joke from a short series called "So you think you've got troubles" with Warren Mitchell set in Belfast where he played a manager in a tobacco company sent over from London to sort out the Belfast factory. The factory manager was played by James Ellis (Bert Lynch from Z cars) who was a Belfast man. Harry Taub appears as the "the man trying to re-establish the Belfast Jewish community"..

Last edited:
The BA definitely didn't take the gloves off during Banner. They were in a situation that they never should have been put in. Total failure of politics. And apart from a few notable exceptions behaved with remarkable restraint. I dont think any other army in the world would have managed the situation as well as they did.
Quite. I remember at the time the left saying that the Brits were as bad as the Israelis. Strange, I didn’t see reports of the RAF bombing targets in the Republic or dropping cluster bombs on the Falls Road or the Army bulldozing Catholic houses or invading the Republic to create a buffer zone.

Fat POM

Old-Salt
Quite. I remember at the time the left saying that the Brits were as bad as the Israelis. Strange, I didn’t see reports of the RAF bombing targets in the Republic or dropping cluster bombs on the Falls Road or the Army bulldozing Catholic houses or invading the Republic to create a buffer zone.
Not that some us weren't thinking it!

I remembered the joke from a short series called "So you think you've got troubles" with Warren Mitchell set in Belfast where he played a manager in a tobacco company sent over from London to sort out the Belfast factory. The factory manager was played by James Ellis (Bert Lynch from Z cars) who was a Belfast man. Harry Taub appears as the "the man trying to re-establish the Belfast Jewish community"..

There actually was a sizable Belfast Jewish community. Kept to themselves, except for 11th of the 11th when they joined with the British Legion and stood to honour the fallen. 8n their community journal, which was set out like a court circular, at the height of the Troubles they talked about events, births and deaths, weddings, business meetings and such like..... Not even the smallest mention about the conflict.

HE117

LE
There actually was a sizable Belfast Jewish community. Kept to themselves, except for 11th of the 11th when they joined with the British Legion and stood to honour the fallen. 8n their community journal, which was set out like a court circular, at the height of the Troubles they talked about events, births and deaths, weddings, business meetings and such like..... Not even the smallest mention about the conflict.
As I recall from the series (..which was a very long time ago...) the Taub character's main ambition was to marry the Warren Mitchell character off to his daughter. Neither was interested, but Taub was determined to keep the Belfast Jewish community as Jewish as possible...

To be honest, as most of the older generation had been through the Holocaust one way or another, the scuffles between the NI factions was probably a bit of a side show...!

dba05defd92d18bda2e9c7f85f8e8075.jpg

"...That's not bad there. Hands further forward and bend your elbows though. Now when you reach the appropriate altitude you'll reach across your body to the rip-cord and at the same time move the other hand....."

HE117

LE
"...That's not bad there. Hands further forward and bend your elbows though. Now when you reach the appropriate altitude you'll reach across your body to the rip-cord and at the same time move the other hand....."
"Head down, kicking, no pull!"

oldbaldy

LE
The post from 2019 & current posts quoting it have been deleted.

MDWUBU

Swinger
The post from 2019 & current posts quoting it have been deleted.
I am a little mystified by the fact that a post i entered early this morning has disappeared. I only made it as another member called me in effect a Paedophile in a previous post . Could you kindly clarify.
With thanks

Mark

ugly

LE
I am a little mystified by the fact that a post i entered early this morning has disappeared. I only made it as another member called me in effect a Paedophile in a previous post . Could you kindly clarify.
With thanks

Mark
To remove the allegation means removing your post where you quoted it!

To remove the allegation means removing your post where you quoted it!
I have to say that I'm a little disappointed to see that post Disappear, too. Is there no way that it can be reinstated without the nastiness (which wasn't @MDWUBU 's fault)?