Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Bit harsh on the bloke that i reckon. My recollection through the mid late 70's as I was growing up was the same as his. No one unless directly involved gave a shit, to whit, news reports became so vague & lacking in detail that unless it was a mass cas incident it would be tacked on the end of a bulletin. During my own tours in the mid 80s' i can regularly remember ding dongs & a few short dust ups, albeit with no deaths but gunshot & occasional blast injuries not even being reported in the mainland bulletins.
On the flipside, unless someone you knew was over the water, you'd pass most bulletins by except for those spectaculars that got through. Even then it was at most a shrug of the shoulders, a mumbled poor bastards & back to watching blankety blank or something.
Reporting on the Province has always been fucked up. Unless we are fighting with each other National News in uninterested.

Some of you may recall the first visit of the Tall Ships Race to Belfast. My brother was hosting a friend from college and we all went down and visited on the last day. When they began departing we travelled up to Whitehead ISTR and watched the fleet sail out. Its difficult to imagine something more visual, it looked as Belfast Lough must have in the days of sail (bar the actual sails it was fairly calm and sunny and they largely had to motor out). The guest was enthralled by the whole thing and when we got home that night called his sister in Yorkshire to let her know he'd actually been there and seen it. "What ships?" was the reply.

ugly

LE
Mid 1979 I was running a six man training team. a young 'Cockney' arrived to be taken on strength, he was a real 'sarfe Lardon' type. He was, strangely so I thought, in the Royal Irish Hussars. I asked him what he was doing in an Irish Regt, and he replied 'I joined them so I won't have to go to Northern Ireland. It took me about two weeks to get rid of him.
QRIH was an amalgamation which included the Sussex cavalry mob, It was common to have Sussex and south Londoners in the QRIH, Their museum is or was in Eastbourne. Sod all to do with tour dodging in the majority and many served as attached. We had one rebadge to do an Op Banner!

ugly

LE
I met a number of scousers over the years in the Irish Rangers for the same reason. A few in the Irish Guards too.
Considering many were Catholics from Ireland or descended it was a fairly reasonable choice of capbadge plus many didn't get much choice, RIR/IG or no job!

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
QRIH was an amalgamation which included the Sussex cavalry mob, It was common to have Sussex and south Londoners in the QRIH, Their museum is or was in Eastbourne. Sod all to do with tour dodging in the majority and many served as attached. We had one rebadge to do an Op Banner!
This one was a 'Dodger' most positively. Our job was sort of covert recruiting by taking young ACF cadets from the Welsh Valleys, tough little fellows mostly, over the Brecon Beacons adventure trg, rangework etc, The dodger's attitude was not compatible with the job that we were doing.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there was a steady trickle like that into all the Irish cap badges, up to the point where an IG battalion was fingered for Op BANNER (late 1980s?)

Flip side was the steady stream of catholic Oirishmen from the Republic who joined English regiments in the certain knowledge that they'd be 'oppressing' their 'brethren' in the Province (yes, Paddy Dooley, and you Sgt Paddy Lennon R.I.P. I do mean the loikes of youse :-D )
Irish Guards went to Fermanagh,1992.
1RRF provided a composite (Badajoz) company,as reinforcement.

Where the IG performed as well as you'd expect of a foot guards battalion, calling into question the validity of the received wisdom under which they'd been excused BANNER for two decades.
I always thought that Irish regiments/battalions were excused mainly for persec,safety of families back in Belfast etc.And perhaps a lack of impartiality.
According to mates who went to Fermanagh with them,the Guards did alright but sometimes needed 'guidance'.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Where the IG performed as well as you'd expect of a foot guards battalion, calling into question the validity of the received wisdom under which they'd been excused BANNER for two decades.
Stonker greetings, However for the Bn to have been involved in the earlier 'close up' stuff of the Bogside, the Bone and the 'Falls' etc, may not have worked as well as did their rural tour. I think the Irish born among them would have had too much asked of some of them, considering the early 'Burnouts and Beatings etc. Also consider the 'special attention' they may have had to deal with as, so called 'traitors' Though we all got attention, they would have had more I feel?

Last edited:
Stonker greetings, However for the Bn to have been involved in the earlier 'close up' stuff of the Bogside, the Bone and the 'Falls' etc, may not have worked so well as did their rural tour. I think the Irish born among them would have had too much asked of some of them. considering the early on 'Burnouts and Beatings etc.
Like I said

Whatever

As in maybe, maybe not.

Irish Guards went to Fermanagh,1992.
1RRF provided a composite (Badajoz) company,as reinforcement.

Yep, I was part of the PRT at Lydd & Hythe running the RLG/Shotgun range, and they were a fun bunch of lads , more like Greenjackets than the other G - Men I'd had dealings with.

I got chatting to some of the Budgies and some of them had also done GW1....Good lads too

Just remembered the b@stard NAAFI & Mess was dry!

Last edited:
Yep, I was part of the PRT at Lydd & Hythe running the RLG/Shotgun range, and they were a fun bunch of lads , more like Greenjackets than the other G -Men I'd had dealings with.

I got chatting to some of the Budgies and some of them had also done GW1....Good lads too

Just remembered the b@stard NAAFI & Mess was dry!
We had just amalgamated with 3RRF who had been on Granby.

That's not how 3RRF saw it: from the perspective of those who came back from Kuwait, cleaned up their kit, and then went on leave knowing they'd never again serve as a formed unit, it was disbandment, plain and simple, and particularly hurtful given the timing.
I don't disagree,some of us first battalion lads said exactly the same,me included.

I thought that 3RRF effectively became 1RRF, the 1st Bn having been run down to a skeleton, or so a 1RRF mate told me.
I got that wrong then.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J The Intelligence Cell 5
J Old & Bold 10