Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Dropped a long time ago, they even hosted a few rugby games at Croke Park a few years ago when Landsdowne Road was being renovated.

This decision did not go down well with some die-hards, including this mong who protested outside (see how long it takes you to spot the dripping irony).

View attachment 543753
They hosted the Rugby Matches after they had had American Football Matches and Monster Truck Shows with no problems. They have hosted the Shinty-Hurling International several times since 1922 though they started using it in 1897, and used other GAA grounds before that. I am pretty certain they meant English Games.

Fat POM

Old-Salt
They hosted the Rugby Matches after they had had American Football Matches and Monster Truck Shows with no problems. They have hosted the Shinty-Hurling International several times since 1922 though they started using it in 1897, and used other GAA grounds before that. I am pretty certain they meant English Games.
One phrase, used when the rugby was played there, by one of the antis was "Garrison Games."

Must have been catchy because I remembered it. The games were played anyway without any issues I seem to recall.

I don't think they ever denied that it meant exactly that.

I’ve been up that, 1980/81. Great views.
I was up there in 2019, at sundown. I agree, the views are excellent. One of the guys I was with told me about the Turm app. Each of the windows on the viewing platform is numbered. In the app you can basically move around from window to window and it highlights all that you can see, as well as providing significant background info. Apparently, the app was built by high-school students as a history project with some cultural prize money that Berlin had won for something and the mayor decided to re-invest this way. The text and audio guides, in German, French and English are also compiled by high-school students.

Somehow, I just cannot imagine the London mayor running a project for landmarks on the same basis.

Carbon 6

War Hero
I was up there in 2019, at sundown. I agree, the views are excellent. One of the guys I was with told me about the Turm app. Each of the windows on the viewing platform is numbered. In the app you can basically move around from window to window and it highlights all that you can see, as well as providing significant background info. Apparently, the app was built by high-school students as a history project with some cultural prize money that Berlin had won for something and the mayor decided to re-invest this way. The text and audio guides, in German, French and English are also compiled by high-school students.

Somehow, I just cannot imagine the London mayor running a project for landmarks on the same basis.

Khan might be persuaded if he realises that there’s four mosques in London for every degree of rotation.

Last edited:

Choux Bun

Clanker
No mate I disagree.
I had a lot of time for our chogie waller.
Knock on the front any time and 30 seconds later he was asking what you wanted.
I believe 2 were killed doing their job.
I respect them.
Our Choggies in GCH were always open during our 1974 tour. Same guys were there when we went back in 1976. Whatever you ordered came the question.."mit honion mukajeebee"? Don't ever remember them offering haircuts though.

Dropped a long time ago, they even hosted a few rugby games at Croke Park a few years ago when Landsdowne Road was being renovated.

This decision did not go down well with some die-hards, including this mong who protested outside (see how long it takes you to spot the dripping irony).

View attachment 543753

I was at that match.
This photograph got a fair amount of circulation at the time.
It’s says so much – far more than the holder of the sign intended!

Well who wants a haircut with their burger anyway! Or a haircut with honions, for that matter . . .
My honion rolled out the front door last year. Right into the path of a bloody great juggernaut.
I rushed her to the honion hospital and she was in theatre for hours
The honion surgeon came out and he looked a bit grim, so I prepared myself for the worst.
I asked, is she going to make it.
He said, "She will pull through ok..........................................but
for the rest of her life...................................................................
She's gonna be a vegetable!
Honion.jpg

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Pig ambulance in XMG from about ‘82 I think.
A Humber Pig was in XMG at the end of 88, deffo not an ambulance as it was full of detector kit, and we had to do an all hands bomb burst op every month or so to allow it to trundle slowly around the town stopping at various points while the Sigs / Int det did their thing inside it.

Ok, time for something funny for a change perhaps? Anyone remember the static water tank in the Roulement Wkps at Sydenham, by what was then Shorts airfield. Slight digress, I used to watch the the new Skyvans flying out to wherever, not realising I'd be a passenger in them a few years later. Anyway, back to the SWA. I ended up in it a few times for various reasons... see pics, circa mid '78. Also I think when the chaplain came over to visit, he ended up in the SWA himself. But, someone decided to dry out his Wool suit in a hot dryer, came out probably the size for his son! Think we had to cough up the money for a new one. Had a look on Google at Belfast City airport now, and you can just make out the remains of some of the old wksp buildings.

Attachments

• Syd 1 fix.jpg
    Syd 1 fix.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 112
  • Syd 2 fix .jpg
    Syd 2 fix .jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 112

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
A Humber Pig was in XMG at the end of 88, deffo not an ambulance as it was full of detector kit, and we had to do an all hands bomb burst op every month or so to allow it to trundle slowly around the town stopping at various points while the Sigs / Int det did their thing inside it.
You're right - an EOD Pig but I think there was also an ambulance - I seem to remember having to provide a LCpl plus two or three plus a VM in '88.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Ok, time for something funny for a change perhaps? Anyone remember the static water tank in the Roulement Wkps at Sydenham, by what was then Shorts airfield. Slight digress, I used to watch the the new Skyvans flying out to wherever, not realising I'd be a passenger in them a few years later. Anyway, back to the SWA. I ended up in it a few times for various reasons... see pics, circa mid '78. Also I think when the chaplain came over to visit, he ended up in the SWA himself. But, someone decided to dry out his Wool suit in a hot dryer, came out probably the size for his son! Think we had to cough up the money for a new one. Had a look on Google at Belfast City airport now, and you can just make out the remains of some of the old wksp buildings.
D'you mean what was Moscow Camp? That's what you can see on Google I think.

We'd Bola Nath, Accountant,
An' Saul the Aden Jew,
An' Din Mohammed, draughtsman
Of the Survey Office too;
There was Babu Chuckerbutty,
An' Amir Singh the Sikh,
An' Castro from the fittin'-sheds,
The Roman Catholick!

Bleedin' colonial white supremacists, eh?

Nope, Catholic is what a Roman Catholic is, catholic however is a general term meaning universal.

The word Catholic (usually written with uppercase C in English when referring to religious matters; derived via Late Latin catholicus, from the Greek adjective καθολικός (katholikos), meaning "universal") comes from the Greek phrase καθόλου (katholou), meaning "on the whole", "according to the whole" or "in general", ...
As an Episcopalian I am Catholic too, says so in the Apostle's Creed, Same for Church of Scotland and a few others. I am not a Roman though.

Book of common Prayer

I believe in God the Father Almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth:

And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
Born of the Virgin Mary,
Suffered under Pontius Pilate,
Was crucified, dead, and buried:
He descended into hell;
The third day he rose again from the dead;
He ascended into heaven,
And sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Ghost;
The holy Catholick Church;
The Communion of Saints;
The Forgiveness of sins;
The Resurrection of the body,
And the Life everlasting.
Amen.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
We'd Bola Nath, Accountant,
An' Saul the Aden Jew,
An' Din Mohammed, draughtsman
Of the Survey Office too;
There was Babu Chuckerbutty,
An' Amir Singh the Sikh,
An' Castro from the fittin'-sheds,
The Roman Catholick!

Bleedin' colonial white supremacists, eh?
So man on man got talkin',
An' not a Brother stirred
Till mornin' waked the parrots
An' that dam' brain-fever-bird.
We'd say 'twas 'ighly curious,
An' we'd all ride 'ome to bed,
With Mo'ammed, God, an' Shiva
Changin' pickets in our 'ead.

HE117

LE
You're right - an EOD Pig but I think there was also an ambulance - I seem to remember having to provide a LCpl plus two or three plus a VM in '88.
As I recall most of the ambulances in my time were Saracens as they were longer.. I don't think you could get a stretcher in one...?

.... can we drift quietly away from EOD pigs and their contents please?

Latest Threads