Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

They were different

Ballooning involved wobbling around (like a breeze teased toy balloon on a short string) while standing/talking to locals etcetera.

Hard targeting was more move fast, take cover, cover each other, look ready to return fire.

I really don't believe anyone ever "ballooned"

If you believed that what you described was 'ballooning', then you were badly advised.

Think Squat to Dumb but with out the crimping . . .

Exclusive jargon I never heard in any other context, and only ever used as far as I could see, as a display of being part of some exclusive group who were 'in the know' about Very Important Things . . .

Sad, really.

What was that all about, when people were talking about "across the water" instead of just saying Ireland?

It was no great mystical place.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I think 'Bricks' became 'Teams' in the early 80s.

Thankfully.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
What was that all about, when people were talking about "across the water" instead of just saying Ireland?

It was no great mystical place.
It was Northern Ireland....

I think the 'over the water' shite was like saying 'Ulster' or 'The Province' after the 70s when that parlance was more widespread.

It was the only war we had for a long time, remember?

'Emerald Toilet' has always been my favourite though.

It was Northern Ireland....

I think the 'over the water' shite was like saying 'Ulster' or 'The Province' after the 70s when that parlance was more widespread.

It was the only war we had for a long time, remember?

'Emerald Toilet' has always been my favourite though.

I like the use of the term Ulster.

Solely to piss the Tims off.

chimera

LE
I like the use of the term Ulster.

Solely to piss the Tims off.

Although of course only six counties of Ulster are in Northern Ireland; the other three are in the Republic.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Although of course only six counties of Ulster are in Northern Ireland; the other three are in the Republic.
Not a lot of people know that. I was wondering when someone would come along and mention it!

War Hero
Take comfort in the funeral in Derry of the former volunteer a few days ago. COVID finished what five rounds failed to achieve. A few SF (the other sort) councillors are being investigated for breach of covid rules.

My sympathy to all those upset etc etc. I was very upset at the time too.

Yes, it’s true. Some of that ammunition issued in those days really was sub standard. 5 rounds hit him! Absolutely disgraceful that soldiers were forced to rely on it in most hazardous situations. Somebody should be shot ....

ETA: the backstory

Last edited:
Take comfort in the funeral in Derry of the former volunteer a few days ago. COVID finished what five rounds failed to achieve. A few SF (the other sort) councillors are being investigated for breach of covid rules.

Yes, it’s true. Some of that ammunition issued in those days really was sub standard. 5 rounds hit him! Absolutely disgraceful that soldiers were forced to rely on it in most hazardous situations. Somebody should be shot ....

There are more theories regarding the McBrearty & Maguire shooting now doing the rounds than there are of the JFK shooting, including on this forum. Would anyone like to give the definitive version?

When I did the Maze tour, this was all over. If you looked the wrong way (or right way, no-one ever knew) the airfield was still discernable. Rubble had been dumped here and there.
Chris Packham alert: one of my true pleasures on stagging on in the towers was watching the badgers. Really beautiful animals. Then the next day you would drive by the animal rendering plant, and brekkie would re-present.
The animal rendering plant is now but an empty space being used by local hauliers to park trailers.
It's destined to become a large warehousing site.

HE117

LE

Whilst appreciating your emotions, I hardly think blaming the ammunition or the weapon is a relevant comment...

There was nothing sub standard about the 9mm issued in Ireland during the campaign. Whilst there was a quantity of foreign 9mm procured at the time to meet a shortfall, it was only ever used for training. All the ammunition used in the Province was "in date" RG 2Z which was one of the most powerful loadings for 9x19 ever made. I may have criticism of some of the later RG output in the past from a target accuracy point of view, but it was never less than capable of meeting the military spec.

You are never going to get guaranteed lethality with any military small arm, even a rifle, unless you hit a vital spot. Full metal jacket ammunition as mandated by the Haig protocols simply does not allow for this. 9mm is a good self defence round, and in this case achieved the immediate aim, the fact that the outcome was not terminal is no reflection on the weapon or the ammunition, which functioned correctly.

There are no guarantees in these situations, and big boy games are played by big boy rules.. they all knew the risks and were prepared to take them. They were not "forced" to rely on anything "sub standard"...

Give your head a wobble!

Now "players" I have heard (.. and used!)

I asked because I have heard it used to differentiate between AK and SVD 7.62 ammo, which I find a bit teeth grinding..

... like shooters referring to bullets as "heads..." Arrgggh!

but I suppose every generation and theatre has its own jargon...!

I can remember the old and bold referring to 4 tonners as "Gharries"!
We old and bold referred to 4 tonners as 3 tonners.

Latest Threads