Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

For those of you wondering whatever happened to North Howard Street Mill...

I think that might be Conway Mill on the Crumlin Road. NHM is long gone
NHM.jpg

2BF44D9A-73AE-4646-BF93-27979C27507F.png

Never served in W Belfast so dunno really. Here’s a shot from google maps.

Edit. Yep, on checking you’re right. Saw the word “mill” and fell for it.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
For those of you wondering whatever happened to North Howard Street Mill...

Gone the way of most SF bases - Woodbourne, New Barnsley etc are a couple that have remained.
Got me confused too - I always thought it was on the Crumlin road, it clearly isn't and it is only a stone-throw (excuse the pun) from NHM. Learn something every day.
NHSM please.

Standards and all that.

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I do, my comment re Woodbourne suffered from an itchy trigger finger - since remedied above.
I guess that since it was 'home territory (a disputed claim of course), the government wanted to remove the blots on the landscape asap whereas a fair number of Tegart Forts still adorn the Israeli-Palestinian landscapes. As an aside, I'v always thought that the Baruki posts were not quite as original as might be thought....or perhaps it was merely a replay at the tactical level.....or both.

Having seen on 'Breakfast' on BBC the other morning showing the Xmas lights in Belfast reminded me of one of my times there. So I dug out the old box of pics from under the bed and have a couple for you hopefully promoting 'the Season to be jolly.

GCH Xmas lights '77.jpg

1. A Saturday morning in GCH, in Belfast City Centre, just before Xmas '77. Sgt B, the CO would like to see you in his office pronto! Oh **** me, now what have I done? Anyway, off down to his office. Col T - 'Ah Sgt B, I'm thinking that I'd like some Xmas lights set up to brighten the place up, and since you are the closest thing we have to an electrician (i.e. Tels Tech) you'll do.' But Sir, I'm off on R&R early Mon morning! Col T - 'Stop whining, you've all of tomorrow to sort it out' So next morning, Sun, there I am with ladder, lots of 'prick thru' cable and string etc. hanging off the outside of the anti-rocket fence of GCH! Anyhow, we eventually got it sorted out and ready to go just as it was getting dark. Switched on, and of course there are duff bulbs/ connections to fix. Back up the ladder, nicely lit up by the working lights - I'm the faint shadow you may be able to make out. A Humber pig goes past and somehow 'backfires', accompanied by some screams from the WRAC searchers restroom. JFC!
Still it looked not too bad in the end + the Xmas tree on top of the barrier sangar set it off nicely.
And, back from R&R the following week, I had to change the lights to read 'Happy 1979'

Having seen on 'Breakfast' on BBC the other morning showing the Xmas lights in Belfast reminded me of one of my times there. So I dug out the old box of pics from under the bed and have a couple for you hopefully promoting 'the Season to be jolly.

View attachment 528782

1. A Saturday morning in GCH, in Belfast City Centre, just before Xmas '77. Sgt B, the CO would like to see you in his office pronto! Oh **** me, now what have I done? Anyway, off down to his office. Col T - 'Ah Sgt B, I'm thinking that I'd like some Xmas lights set up to brighten the place up, and since you are the closest thing we have to an electrician (i.e. Tels Tech) you'll do.' But Sir, I'm off on R&R early Mon morning! Col T - 'Stop whining, you've all of tomorrow to sort it out' So next morning, Sun, there I am with ladder, lots of 'prick thru' cable and string etc. hanging off the outside of the anti-rocket fence of GCH! Anyhow, we eventually got it sorted out and ready to go just as it was getting dark. Switched on, and of course there are duff bulbs/ connections to fix. Back up the ladder, nicely lit up by the working lights - I'm the faint shadow you may be able to make out. A Humber pig goes past and somehow 'backfires', accompanied by some screams from the WRAC searchers restroom. JFC!
Still it looked not too bad in the end + the Xmas tree on top of the barrier sangar set it off nicely.
And, back from R&R the following week, I had to change the lights to read 'Happy 1979'
"Jolly Belfast"..............................new one :santa:

Latest Threads