Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
It must be a special moment when the letterbox plops and the medal hits the mat?
Not really. The LS&GC thing arrived 3 years after I'd left the mob.

All my gongs arrived in the mail but why shouldn't they? They were mainly for military tourism.

My commissioning scroll was delivered to me by a frozen Postie to a 5 man tent in Norway - how all the rest of the tent group laughed as I tried to stop them using it as a firestarter...

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
All ops/patrols suspended, incoming imminent or int on sniper/IED in area.
Unless you happened to be out there as the target to trigger the op...

Which happened occasionally!

For those of you wondering whatever happened to North Howard Street Mill...

I think that might be Conway Mill on the Crumlin Road. NHM is long gone
NHM.jpg

2BF44D9A-73AE-4646-BF93-27979C27507F.png

Never served in W Belfast so dunno really. Here’s a shot from google maps.

Edit. Yep, on checking you’re right. Saw the word “mill” and fell for it.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
For those of you wondering whatever happened to North Howard Street Mill...

Gone the way of most SF bases - Woodbourne, New Barnsley etc are a couple that have remained.
Got me confused too - I always thought it was on the Crumlin road, it clearly isn't and it is only a stone-throw (excuse the pun) from NHM. Learn something every day.
NHSM please.

Standards and all that.

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I do, my comment re Woodbourne suffered from an itchy trigger finger - since remedied above.
I guess that since it was 'home territory (a disputed claim of course), the government wanted to remove the blots on the landscape asap whereas a fair number of Tegart Forts still adorn the Israeli-Palestinian landscapes. As an aside, I'v always thought that the Baruki posts were not quite as original as might be thought....or perhaps it was merely a replay at the tactical level.....or both.