Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

That's the one, brilliant, thank you.
I just watched that.

Oddly, I found myself smiling and had to do a WTF sense-check.

I'm happy to say it was hearing the banter in the portakabin (about 5minutes in, with posters in the background - The largest of them being the angel herself, the lovely Linda Lusardi :thumleft: )

Then the lad starts to get ready for patrol. INIBA on, he points out that every other outer garment is falling apart:-D

HE117

LE
I know so many folks in that video - it was the C Coy Rover Gp that had to shuttle the film crew around, hence the CSM getting a bit of (undeserved) air time. The CO, Alan Behagg, ended up a 1* and most of the Coy Comds etc ended up as OF5s, my OC ended up as CO 7/10 UDR, he was awesome. My right hand is at least featured in the O Group, scribbling furiously.

I couldn't get enough of Belfast back in the day - after that tour I was back the year after and ended up doing 5 years out of 7 from '84 - '91.

Harmony? What's that?.
I did a tour with Alan in Londonderry..! Not difficult to see his trajectory even then!

My bold - did it clean the place up?

Bethnal Green is accepted as the worst death toll of its kind in UK in WW2 -are the Stoke Newington and 'South London' incidents verified or were they just (understandable) hearsay?
Your Bold !
Take Comfort in the fact that this is a chance to Surf the Tide of Dazzling washing puns..
You hOmo,*

*that was the only Omo pun I could come up with. Also, something about Bubbles..

My bold - did it clean the place up?

Bethnal Green is accepted as the worst death toll of its kind in UK in WW2 -are the Stoke Newington and 'South London' incidents verified or were they just (understandable) hearsay?
My bad spelling, sorry. As far as i know, they happened, my mother was a young schoolgirl, and lived only a mile from the stoke newington tragedy. As for the south london flooding, mum says she heard it from her father, my grandfather, who was an ambulance driver. The first incident did happen, I phoned my mother, she has a clear recollection of the bombing, and went to great lengths describing it all to me. She tells me there is a memorial plaque on the spot where it happened, as there is on the stair well of Bethnal green station. She still lives in the same area, and has done all her life. :santa:

There was "coal" gas distribution in some places ISTR. There is (or was) a museum in Carrickfergus. I also recall as a child visiting Portrush my father lifting me up to see the piles of redundant gas meters in the yard which I think was the gasworks (near the East Strand car-park).

....and there was of course the BFO Gasometer in the middle of Belfast.

Ballynahinch weapons find, RUC took all the glory.
Inkedthumbnail (3) RUC handover, Ballynahinch._LI.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Did you get the wossname bar/gong for extra time?

Only chap I know from my mob to get it only ever did one tour outside the wire (as they say these days).
I got two ACSMs and more bars to my LS&GC (what's that?) than I care to remember and....THAT RIFLE!

IMG_4612 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Time in the ranks?

When did you fit that in?
Do keep up - the LS&GC has been awarded to officers for a few years now....

Not sure I agree, but all gongs are welcome when they arrive in the post.

Last edited:

Latest Threads