Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

We nearly greased up an old chap repairing a dry stone wall, thought he was going to bump us with an IED. That would have taken some explaining, but looking back they were great multiple attack skills.

I believe you mean 'brassed up'.
To save further possible embarrassment I would point out that to 'grease up' someone means to bribe them.
However in the area of South London around Vauxhall to 'grease up an old chap' is to prepare one's sexual apparatus for the act of sodomy.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
1986 and 87.
A money saving decision that ended up costing a lot more, with the amount of exchanges that the QMs had to make.
A more robust uniform was issued in 1990.
C Company, 3 R ANGLIAN by any chance?

1986 and 87.
A money saving decision that ended up costing a lot more, with the amount of exchanges that the QMs had to make.
A more robust uniform was issued in 1990.
1606567560738.png

To save further possible embarrassment I would point out that to 'grease up' someone means to bribe them.
However in the area of South London around Vauxhall to 'grease up an old chap' is to prepare one's sexual apparatus for the act of sodomy.

Apparently.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Yup, though, as you know, because you were there, we were Atts and Dets, QOH providing top cover.
Blimey, blast from the past. Good photos of FWR - I took a few inside but was always wary of taking photos out on patrol as I thought it was unprofessional. I thought the video the Bn produced was quite good as was the handout tour booklet. It was a good battalion and I was very sorry to leave it. On later tours I took quite a few as a top cover sentry and once had the surreal experience of driving through Londonderry in an APV in civilian clothes taking video footage.

Blimey, blast from the past. Good photos of FWR - I took a few inside but was always wary of taking photos out on patrol as I thought it was unprofessional. I thought the video the Bn produced was quite good as was the handout tour booklet. It was a good battalion and I was very sorry to leave it. On later tours I took quite a few as a top cover sentry and once had the surreal experience of driving through Londonderry in an APV in civilian clothes taking video footage.
The Pompadours in Ireland, I think it's called.
There's a copy of it on Youtube.

Little known fact. Whitburn village duck pond, behind the church, was only created during the war when a twin engined bomber was chased off a raid on the Tyne and jettisoned its bomb load to increase speed. I was told this on a local message board. I never knew that

Then a year or two later my aunt died (they'd lived a couple of hundred metres from the pond throughout my youth). I visited my cousin with intention of archiving her history (and Uncle Rob's — Western Desert, Italy, Normandy to the Baltic with 7 Armd Div). Among her possessions I found a picture postcard of Whitburn duck pond, dated 1935. Wtf was a German raider doing bombing the Tyne in 1935?!?

Preemptive strike those village greens were highly dangerous to the Reich

Sorry - Missed that - How very unpleasant!

1986 and 87.
Just before SA80 entered service. Can't remember which unit was first to deploy to Banner armed with it.

I do recall the look on the face of one of my Cpls, when he knelt at a street corner in Downpatrick, and with nary a sound, the crotch seams all parted, from his nuts to his knees, leaving him lookin like an armed Chipperfields circus clown.

And as for rural work, among the blackthorns of S Armagh . . . :roll:

Last edited:
Just about to hard target out, then the area was Firefoxed.
A very anxious couple of hours followed.
thumbnail (3) Firefoxed.jpg

Out in the ooloo with our faithful sniffer dog, Jack.
Inkedthumbnail (3) Jack- North Armagh_LI.jpg

Sometimes, you just have to tell your mate how stupid he's going to look if his plastic waterproof gets anywhere near a petrol bomber..
thumbnail (3) A summers day in Whiterock..jpg