Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Could be. I wasn't there. I was in High Wycombe at the time. I know nothing.
said the German driver stopped by French police at a routine road check:
COP : Bon jour mon bosche - where r u coming from?
GERMAN: Von Hamburg
COP: What iz ur name?
GERMAN: Heinz
COP: Occupation?
GERMAN: Nein, Nein, Nein.........I am just a tourist...I know nuzzing

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
They bombed me granny in Boldon Colliery (the village, not the pit, obviously).

Just saying. Oz wasn't special.

Edit. Boldon you stupid fúcking cúnting twátting speelchucker.
They bombed mine in Tyne Dock. Did loads of improvement.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
They bombed mine in Tyne Dock. Did loads of improvement.
Little known fact. Whitburn village duck pond, behind the church, was only created during the war when a twin engined bomber was chased off a raid on the Tyne and jettisoned its bomb load to increase speed. I was told this on a local message board. I never knew that

Then a year or two later my aunt died (they'd lived a couple of hundred metres from the pond throughout my youth). I visited my cousin with intention of archiving her history (and Uncle Rob's — Western Desert, Italy, Normandy to the Baltic with 7 Armd Div). Among her possessions I found a picture postcard of Whitburn duck pond, dated 1935. Wtf was a German raider doing bombing the Tyne in 1935?!?

Me and Steve C mincing it up at Mahon Road barracks.
Inkedthumbnail (3) Me and C_LI.jpg

Reaction to effective enemy farmer armed with shotgun.
thumbnail (3) North Armagh.jpg

A very bored looking Royal Anglian trying to motivate two Pig drivers.
thumbnail (3) Whiterock.jpg

Welcome to the Hotel Whiterock.
thumbnail (3 Whiterock 2.jpg

Andytown just after the locals had gotten a bit rowdy.
thumbnail (3) Andersonstown 1.jpg

We nearly greased up an old chap repairing a dry stone wall, thought he was going to bump us with an IED. That would have taken some explaining, but looking back they were great multiple attack skills.
Ha, yep, but I've never met a squaddie who couldn't bullshit/baffle his way out of a tricky situation.

Ha, yep, but I've never met a squaddie who couldn't bullshit/baffle his way out of a tricky situation.
All of those photos are late 1980s/early 1990s going by the uniforms.

They're the low-cost/useless pockets/single-stitched-seams edition, that seemed to be designed with the twin specifications of (a) Disintegrating whilst in use, even when new, and (b) Causing the wearer unintentionally to shed the contents of the pockets into the local terrain - often by simply falling off when the single-seam-stitching failed.

They were beyond a joke.

All of those photos are late 1980s/early 1990s going by the uniforms.

They're the low-cost/useless pockets/single-stitched-seams edition, that seemed to be designed with the twin specifications of (a) Disintegrating whilst in use, even when new, and (b) Causing the wearer unintentionally to shed the contents of the pockets into the local terrain - often by simply falling off when the single-seam-stitching failed.

They were beyond a joke.
1986 and 87.
A money saving decision that ended up costing a lot more, with the amount of exchanges that the QMs had to make.
A more robust uniform was issued in 1990.

Little known fact. Whitburn village duck pond, behind the church, was only created during the war when a twin engined bomber was chased off a raid on the Tyne and jettisoned its bomb load to increase speed. I was told this on a local message board. I never knew that

Then a year or two later my aunt died (they'd lived a couple of hundred metres from the pond throughout my youth). I visited my cousin with intention of archiving her history (and Uncle Rob's — Western Desert, Italy, Normandy to the Baltic with 7 Armd Div). Among her possessions I found a picture postcard of Whitburn duck pond, dated 1935. Wtf was a German raider doing bombing the Tyne in 1935?!?

Possibly an early R.A.F practice run for the "Prussian Queen" incident..

HANSARD 1803–2005 1950s 1953 November 1953 19 November 1953 Commons Sitting

Just after last August Bank Holiday a rather heavy smoke bomb was dropped on a public house called the "Prussian Queen." It went through the window of a lavatory. Had it dropped half an hour earlier someone would have been knocked out, or killed. Complaints have been made of a series of bombs which were dropped miles from the target. I think my hon. Friend will agree that more than a dozen have dropped wide of the target.

Latest Threads