Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

My old bedroom in my mums place still has a 9mm i ND'ed into the external wall due to an EM moment coming back from the local shooting club range circa late 80s. Went through my mattress, through the timber side of the bed & into the wall. I polyfilla'ed over it & left it. Never told my folks until some time in the 00's.
ND into a locker(Woodfiller required) guy must have been "practicing" in adjacent full length mirror(Ballykelly)

Covered up.

Guy made RSM.

90 degrees right-- would have come over my pit(I was on Egyptian PT)

ches

LE
Talking of daft things that occifers do, I seem to recall a rupert as part of an advance party out on an urban FP when a call came over the radio of a bank or post office getting done over, escapologists on a motor bike 2 up. The bike was found by the FP call sign propped up against a lamp post, the subbie first time in NI, wanders over to check it despite the NCO telling him not to, remote or command wire with a charge under the seat, as he gets to it its triggered & he's gone. Can't find anything in the lost lives list though that rings a bell. Closest incident was a tom who leaned against or moved a push bike that had been booby trapped with explosives in the frame.

RedDinger

Old-Salt
Talking of daft things that occifers do, I seem to recall a rupert as part of an advance party out on an urban FP when a call came over the radio of a bank or post office getting done over, escapologists on a motor bike 2 up. The bike was found by the FP call sign propped up against a lamp post, the subbie first time in NI, wanders over to check it despite the NCO telling him not to, remote or command wire with a charge under the seat, as he gets to it its triggered & he's gone. Can't find anything in the lost lives list though that rings a bell. Closest incident was a tom who leaned against or moved a push bike that had been booby trapped with explosives in the frame.
This is the plot of Field of Blood by Gerald Seymour. Maybe you read it and forgot :)

Closest incident was a tom who leaned against or moved a push bike that had been booby trapped with explosives in the frame.

A 2 Para lad - Pte. Baroki (sp?). A sangar was subsequently named after him.

ches

LE
This is the plot of Field of Blood by Gerald Seymour. Maybe you read it and forgot :)

Is it? Fook me, I haven't read a GS book in eons so maybe thats it. Shit, what the fook is that to get into my 'memory' as something I thought i'd heard genuinely happen. So, maybe there aren't hobbits & wizards either.

An army sergeant photographer with whom I worked related that he had worked for one of those NI units where they wore civilian clothes and sported long hair etc. He and a young officer were in an "iffy" part of Belfast, on opposite sides of the street and with the officer trailing by 10 yards or so.

Then Rupert noticed something which he thought worth getting a picture of.

"I say, Corporal Bloggs ( obviously not real name), come here.............."

The photographer told me he simply ignore the summons and carried on walking. The young officer was fortunate to receive just a roughing up.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Cameras? Yes, of course they had cameras: Nikons, I bet.
Not one of those Instamatics that used to be put into a modified rifle butt? ;-)

Oyibo

LE
Indeed: Pte James Borucki 3 PARA.
A detailed write up of the incident here:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Is it? Fook me, I haven't read a GS book in eons so maybe thats it. Shit, what the fook is that to get into my 'memory' as something I thought i'd heard genuinely happen. So, maybe there aren't hobbits & wizards either.
Gerald Seymour, the author who made a career out of writing the most depressing thrillersto be found in the Guardroom; each one capped off with a Pyrrhic victory that made you wonder why you bothered reading it.

Closest incident was a tom who leaned against or moved a push bike that had been booby trapped with explosives in the frame.
Boruki was in my platoon and we were guard platoon that Sunday, I was guard commander. I got a call on the squalk box from the ops room that a helo with a VSO was inbound and a full-screw (Adam McK) was on his way and needed three bods to go and secure the Square. I gave Boruki a kick as he was sleeping and sent him out. Ten minutes later he was gone. He did not touch the bike, there was a parcel on the back with the device.

The previous Sunday we were doing a town patrol when one of the lads spotted the bike in the same place with a parcel on the back. We got some young lad to shift it - obviously the rehearsal.

Last edited:
Gerald Seymour, the author who made a career out of writing the most depressing thrillersto be found in the Guardroom; each one capped off with a Pyrrhic victory that made you wonder why you bothered reading it.
Journeyman Tailor was very well researched and the story line was near contemporary. I turned to the last Chapter to see what was coming up at the end of our tour.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Journeyman Tailor was very well researched and the story line was near contemporary. I turned to the last Chapter to see what was coming up at the end of our tour.
Did your OC get slotted?

I don't know how he swung it but he was the guest of our Bn 2i/c for a weekend at Killymeal House, Dungannon. His research for that book was listening to ever wilder war stories before being carried to his bed. The book was tosh.

Would that be the chap who shot the radiator and was then known as "Rad" B****** ?

... or perhaps the 39 Bde Int office was an indoor range over a number of years?
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damm! (maybe a bit obvious)
He's still around, working as CS in PBK. The radiator, I believe was given as a leaving present. A mate of mine was the G2 clerk.

Latest Threads