Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Falls Rd in '91 (I think), I was on foot patrol and doing the usual 'find a doorway to kneel in' routine, when a coach load of people turned up, de-bussed, hurled a load of verbal about the Brutush Ormay being baby killers or some nonsense and started taking posed phots with me/us in the back ground. Turns out they were all septics on holiday in the UK, who were guests of SF and doing a tour of West Belfast.
Sorry, typo due to dotage and fat fingered knuckle typing.....that should be ‘81 not ‘91, but what’s a mere decade between arrsers.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That is from a very early stage of Op Banner.
Indeed. My period, when we had no proper body armour, old tin hats, green shiny combats, and certainly no bloody cable tv. In fact, no tv. Or electricity. Open topped Land Rovers and banners to be unfurled, (1) Riots for the use of. One side written in either Chinese or Arabic.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Indeed. My period, when we had no proper body armour, old tin hats, green shiny combats, and certainly no bloody cable tv. In fact, no tv. Or electricity. Open topped Land Rovers and banners to be unfurled, (1) Riots for the use of. One side written in either Chinese or Arabic.
Aye, but I don't think we had banners in March '70 :cool:. Although of course that is where the Op got it's name!

As some kind of yardstick, try using 18 years.

18 years was the interval between VE Day and the Beatles first No. 1 hit record. Time enough for the entire world to change . .
Go back 40 years to the release of the Sex Pistols album.
Go back 40 years from that and WW2 hadn't started...

تفرقوا أو نفتح النار Disperse or we open fire

تفرقوا أو نفتح النار Disperse or we open fire
Casual institutional racism, according to my #3 son, age 21, that we'd expect to fire on unarmed crowds of disorderly gippos/chinks . . yet not do quite the same in the UK . . . even though here they were [only] Paddies/Taigs/Republicans . .

Difficult - nay, impossible - to disagree with him.

And don't get either of us started on the absence of a count of civilian casualties inflicted by Brit operations in Afghanistan . . .

Casual institutional racism, according to my #3 son, age 21, that we'd expect to fire on unarmed crowds of disorderly gippos/chinks . . yet not do quite the same in the UK . . . even though here they were [only] Paddies/Taigs/Republicans . .

Difficult - nay, impossible - to disagree with him.

And don't get either of us started on the absence of a count of civilian casualties inflicted by Brit operations in Afghanistan . . .
ناڅاپي یا موږ اور لګوئ ok, for the sake of equality, that's it in Pashtu

If that the Northeastern extremity, and the view across is to the great tongue of Scotland that has Campbelltown at its Southern tip, I've seen it from the opposite direction, from the bedroom window of a farmhouse at Tarbert, where we were (very boozy) guests of a delightful Ulsterman farmer.

R.I.P. Frank, you were a fine host.
The view I was talking about. A local told me the hill on the Scots side is the Mull of Kintyre, not sure if the is true. My understanding is that the little brick building on top of the hill on the Irish side is where the Irish inventor, Guglielmo Marconi, made the first radio transmission across a body of water.

TorHead.jpg

I agree with all your comments regarding Ireland and its people, however when you arrived in Londonderry at about that time our company had part of Bogside as a patch, I'm sure we would have like to have joined you on your train to Dublin!
One quite unusual sight that I saw in William St in Bogside, was a US sailor dressed in uniform full whites and casually walking through the place into the Bogside, as if nothing was going on. I thought he'd stuck his neck out, he could have been taken for British.
On my first trip to Derry (1988 IIRC) I got a bit lost on my way into town. I stopped at a guard shack at a base at the top of a hill. A USMC guard gave me directions that got me to my hotel. From what I could see of the base it looked like some sort of US Navy communications station. Must have been to surface fleet as it was nowhere big enough to handle radio to subs.

That's easy for you to say . .
And he really was Irish, born in Italy to an Italian Count and an Irish mother (Lady Anne Jameson) (of the whiskey Jamesons). Brought up inDublin.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J The Intelligence Cell 5
J Old & Bold 10