Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Finally scanned in a few pics.These are from the Hungerstrike period

Attachments

RRF in Belfast?
Pontious Pilots Bodyguard indeed. But it went a little further than the nickname.....
More of the same

Extended Description
Troops of the Royal Scots Regiment demonstrate their Grantapult in Belfast, Northern Ireland in July 1970. It is a huge catapult named after its inventor, regimental Sergeant Major Alex Grant, unseen. It is used to fire CS gas over the heads of advancing rioters into a head wind. Rioters are then (in theory) caught between the gas behind them and the advancing troops at their front.

Maybe fired in anger
1596885135387.png

Last edited:
Some great photographs there @Old Stab that one of the sangar will bring back memories for a few wan'kers, ooops, sorry I mean vigilant soldiers.

As I think you mentioned earlier, we were definitely there at the same time.
When you read this and other threads I think it's safe to say that quite a few members may have unknowingly crossed paths back in the day, same garrison, cookhouse, aircraft, most probably the same exercise field, and may even have been in the same vehicles at some point.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yes, the Belfast tour. I've read Contact a number of times and thought it was a good read. I know a few on here don't agree, but hey ho...
I think we all have to agree that a 'Para's tour was somewhat different to all other units tours. they saw it differently.

When you read this and other threads I think it's safe to say that quite a few members may have unknowingly crossed paths back in the day, same garrison, cookhouse, aircraft, most probably the same exercise field, and may even have been in the same vehicles at some point.
Those of us who were actually in the mob will have. Lots of other people, not so much.

Those of us who were actually in the mob will have. Lots of other people, not so much.
Yeah, that's what I meant there are still quite a few of us left on Arrse. Lots of other people, you are right, not so much.

Finally scanned in a few pics.These are from the Hungerstrike period
1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the great majority of City weapon finds during my tour there (76-78 ) were in that general vicinity. It might have been because the RUC had a no-go line, about 100m to the left, which they couldn't cross. AR-180s and the like predominated at the time. I recall a particularly fine Thompson 28 replica*, and a very-well cared-for Gewehr 98, in a carefully-carpented and camouflaged hide - a large plank of wood which had been hollowed and the trap hinged, in the space where the flyover meets the ground. A sniper had used the rifle a couple of times, and there was a very angry search which found it.

* No Idea who had made the Thompson replica; probably the result of the usual US fascination with such things.

Interesting article. I don't know how reliable a source it is but as long as "Jarry" comes out smelling of shit, it's OK.

Latest Threads