Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

A good man from an old Border family... can't for the life of me fathom why he joined the First of Foot!=D

Must say though the Royals of his generation had some damn fine officers.
A very interesting Border family! Taken from The Gazetteer for Scotland

Colonel Francis Charteris
c.1640 - 1732
Infamous gambler, adulterer and duellist. Born at Amisfield (Dumfries and Galloway), an estate which had been in the possession of his family for many generations. Charteris joined the army and served under the Duke of Marlborough. He was an expert gambler and regularly took significant sums from his fellow officers. John Campbell, later the 2nd Duke of Argyll (1680 - 1743) and other officers brought charges against Charteris resulting in his court-martial in Brussels and return to Scotland in disgrace. His cheating of the Duchess of Queensberry out of £3000 brought James Douglas, the Duke (1662 - 1711), to introduce a bill into parliament which prevented gaming for high stakes. This did not stop Charteris, who continued to gamble and profit from money-lending schemes such that he amassed a considerable fortune and was able to buy several large estates, including Amisfield Park by Haddington (East Lothian).

Charteris married Helen, daughter of Sir Alexander Swinton, and their only daughter Janet married James, the 5th Earl of Wemyss, in 1720.

Charteris was also a founder member of the notorious Hellfire Club. He used agents to attract young women to his houses, with whom he made love. He made little distinction between de-flowering virgins and sleeping with married women. In 1730, he was accused of raping his maid and tried at the Old Bailey (London). He escaped a death sentence only on the appeal of his son-in-law to King George II and Charteris was able to return to Edinburgh, where he died two years later. He was buried in Greyfriars Kirkyard, although he was so hated that a mob tried to destroy his coffin as it was carried to the grave.

A very interesting Border family! Taken from The Gazetteer for Scotland

Colonel Francis Charteris
c.1640 - 1732
Infamous gambler, adulterer and duellist. Born at Amisfield (Dumfries and Galloway), an estate which had been in the possession of his family for many generations. Charteris joined the army and served under the Duke of Marlborough. He was an expert gambler and regularly took significant sums from his fellow officers. John Campbell, later the 2nd Duke of Argyll (1680 - 1743) and other officers brought charges against Charteris resulting in his court-martial in Brussels and return to Scotland in disgrace. His cheating of the Duchess of Queensberry out of £3000 brought James Douglas, the Duke (1662 - 1711), to introduce a bill into parliament which prevented gaming for high stakes. This did not stop Charteris, who continued to gamble and profit from money-lending schemes such that he amassed a considerable fortune and was able to buy several large estates, including Amisfield Park by Haddington (East Lothian).

Charteris married Helen, daughter of Sir Alexander Swinton, and their only daughter Janet married James, the 5th Earl of Wemyss, in 1720.

Charteris was also a founder member of the notorious Hellfire Club. He used agents to attract young women to his houses, with whom he made love. He made little distinction between de-flowering virgins and sleeping with married women. In 1730, he was accused of raping his maid and tried at the Old Bailey (London). He escaped a death sentence only on the appeal of his son-in-law to King George II and Charteris was able to return to Edinburgh, where he died two years later. He was buried in Greyfriars Kirkyard, although he was so hated that a mob tried to destroy his coffin as it was carried to the grave.
A bit of a lad, then?

Oyibo

LE
Pte J.A. Curran Q.G.M.
nails
He saved a lot of lives that night. A thoroughly deserved QGM. The incident also led to a review of the ludicrous regs on magazines on weapons having no rounds and masking tape over mags with live rounds (or whatever the ludicrous regs were at the time).

Dubb_al_Ibn

War Hero
Also led to the nationwide fencing project for MoD property particularly with "live-in" accommodation.. "Op Nutshell" if my memory serves me correctly.

HE117

LE
Why might I know the name Charteris, I wonder, me being a Sassenach and all?

It's ringing a tiny bell in a distant corner of my memory, and I can't surface it :-D
Golden Lions?

He saved a lot of lives that night. A thoroughly deserved QGM. The incident also led to a review of the ludicrous regs on magazines on weapons having no rounds and masking tape over mags with live rounds (or whatever the ludicrous regs were at the time).
War and Son is a bloody good shop - they're keeping an eye out for my stolen medals for free.

Also - I'm not surprised the Provos buggered off, look how many weapons he had:

dsc03716.jpg

Oyibo

LE
War and Son is a bloody good shop - they're keeping an eye out for my stolen medals for free.

Also - I'm not surprised the Provos buggered off, look how many weapons he had:

View attachment 464457
Mine were stolen in a burglary in SA, so I am not holding out much hope of getting them back. No probs though, it's the memories rather than the metal for me.

Ref the photo, never mind the arms. He seems to have 4 legs, a shovel GS, helmet Para, and two toggle ropes. That's enough to kick the f*ck out of anyone.

Oyibo

LE
For those that may not be familiar with the incident, below is a photo of the damage. Would have been huge casualties if the prowler guard had not intervened:

1586530085823.png

I've a suspicion that chap's actually a Bootneck.
You may be right - wonder why it’s in the medal group provenance?

Latest Threads