Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Strike me down with a feather officer. Just had a look at The Op Banner photos on the Royal Scots website and Pte M of IDB days looms large!
As he was sent/propelled down to us in 1981 after a contretemps involving a hammer in Edinburgh I was somewhat surprised to see he was still with us. Well done Basher!

I don't hold that against the young fella, he's always been a decent chap with me.
He is. I was just winding him up.
I spent most of my Scot Div life surrounded by Royal Scots, I had two Royal Scot Pl Sgts when I was running recruit Pls at Glencorse - one being Smudger Smith!

There is a series of five of these which you can find on the RS website and they were all taken by the then Bn Photographer. The period covered is from Aden in 64/65 to Cyprus in 74. Most of that time is time I spent with 1RS but you will not find any pics of me as I hid when Benny came around with his camera. I was and still am not one for hogging the camera lens.

The only one I have found of me is one showing my best profile - my back!
View attachment 463482

This was at Dungiven Bridge 13 June 1971 when the local Orange Lodge wanted to march over the bridge but were banned from doing so. You will all recognise me of course as I am the guy on the right with an SMG slung and carrying an SLR which belonged to the chap hidden in front of me who had been injured by rocks and was being taken back by the CSM for treatment.
Is that an issue pith helmet ?

He is. I was just winding him up.
I spent most of my Scot Div life surrounded by Royal Scots, I had two Royal Scot Pl Sgts when I was running recruit Pls at Glencorse - one being Smudger Smith!
Amazingly I was accepted by both Royal Scots and RHF in the pre-commissioning scrum - chose the Troggs instead!

Go figger!

What a cracking watch lots of the old and bold.
Out of curiosity was this vintage 1972 as I noticed Colonel Nigel Stisted along with John Charteris MC who looks to be a Company Commander at the time and another Major who I next saw in 77 as HQ Company Commander at Glencorse.
Why might I know the name Charteris, I wonder, me being a Sassenach and all?

It's ringing a tiny bell in a distant corner of my memory, and I can't surface it :-D

arcticfox042

War Hero
As the marching season is off due to the virus.................

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 23.20.35.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 23.21.13.png

Donny

ADC

It's ringing a tiny bell in a distant corner of my memory, and I can't surface it :-D
It rang a bell for me as well. After a bit of head scratching, this is the one looking favourite: Obituary: Lord Charteris of Amisfield

Edit: the bell was still ringing so after a bit more scratching I came up with Leslie Charteris, the author of ‘The Saint’ - Leslie Charteris - Wikipedia

Last edited:
. . . to fill in the criminal injury compo claim form before they loosed the medics on him.

Well, that was our SOP, generally.

I got a brick in the face which split my chin. The cut was deep but not too wide (bled a lot though) and the MO told me that the going rate was £40.00 per stitch for facial injuries, so he put a couple of extra ones in just in case...

A year later I got a cheque for £240... a fair bit of dosh for 1978, a couple of years earlier I'd bought a brand new motorbike for £440.00. :)

Thanks doc!

Last edited:

Major John Charteris was a Coy Cmdr at RMAS 76-78ish. Delightful chap with AAC wings and an MC. Think he went onto become a Lt Colonel.

Latest Threads