Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Pity the Sunday Pub League -SPL isn't sponsored by Orange mobile phone, just to watch the apoplexy resulting from the end of a Celtic - Rangers game announcement of 'Orange man of the match'.

"We are taking advice about actively marketing our brand name in Northern Ireland," a spokeswoman for Orange confirmed yesterday. "I accept that we need to look to see if there is any sensitivity."

"We are taking advice about actively marketing our brand name in Northern Ireland," a spokeswoman for Orange confirmed yesterday. "I accept that we need to look to see if there is any sensitivity."
Well, Apple is already taken, Ban nana would upset the grannies, Potato would be worse than Orange, Leek sound likes 'pish', Tangerine = wee orange would pish off both sides, Apricot has two many syllables..................ARGONE that'll do, describes the situation perfectly too.

1996?

Sounds about right. I remember the Lower Ormeau protest group having a fit when a 'The future's bright, the future's Orange' billboard went up there when they were disputing a 12th feeder parade going up there.

Op Banner, early May 71...........only one soldier KIA.........thinking though. Lost Bob Bankier the following week, hearts were black, cap badges were blacker. It never go better in my time.

Attachments

A few years back TNT post (Owned at the time by Royal Dutch Post, now called Whistl and owned by FedEx) got a licence to deliver mail in a trial area in Lanarkshire, they already had a large mailing house and contract collection and franking service for businesses. They were easily distinguished from Royal mail by the Orange livery on their vans, lorries and crates.

The weekend before the service started, they decided, to leaflet Coatbridge, Bellshill and Airdrie town centres. They printed thousands of leaflets which no one local got to see, Only the National Executive in London, and the HQ in Hoofdorp (next to Schiphol) got to see them.

Saturday morning at the depot, 60 odd students have been promised a days pay to distribute the leaflets and are standing around the yard waiting for to be given leaflets and dropped around the town centres.

The bosses are in a presentation with the ad agency people and local management get to see the the leaflets for the first time.
Front page big banner headline!

"LOOK FORWARD TO AN ORANGE MAN COMING DOWN YOUR STREET"

High heid yin fae Holland needed to be shown a few YouTube videos and newspaper articles but was convinced this was maybe not a great idea, students were paid and sent off, leaflets shredded, praten zonder koffee for the ad agency and English management. Service launched with no pre publicity other than a short article in a couple of local papers, Dutch and Scottish management had kindly taken the local reporters for a good lunch so they would not have a wasted day.

Last edited:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Op Banner, early May 71...........only one soldier KIA.........thinking though. Lost Bob Bankier the following week, hearts were black, cap badges were blacker. It never go better in my time.
Still remembered and never forgotten. A really goo guy, gone far too soon.

A few years back TNT post (Owned at the time by Royal Dutch Post, now called Whistl and owned by FedEx) got a licence to deliver mail in a trial area in Lanarkshire, they already had a large mailing house and contract collection and franking service for businesses. They were easily distinguished from Royal mail by the Orange livery on their vans, lorries and crates.

The weekend before the service started, they decided, to leaflet Coatbridge, Bellshill and Airdrie town centres. They printed thousands of leaflets which no one local got to see, Only the National Executive in London, and the HQ in Hoofdorp (next to Schiphol) got to see them.

Saturday morning at the depot, 60 odd students have been promised a days pay to distribute the leaflets and are standing around the yard waiting for to be given leaflets and dropped around the town centres.

The bosses are in a presentation with the ad agency people and local management get to see the the leaflets for the first time.

High heid yin fae Holland needed to be shown a few YouTube videos and newspaper articles but was convinced this was maybe not a great idea, students were paid and sent off, leaflets shredded, praten zonder koffee for the ad agency and English management. Service launched with no pre publicity other than a short article in a couple of local papers, Dutch and Scottish management had kindly taken the local reporters for a good lunch so they would not have a wasted day.
My Grandpa ran the undertakers in Coatbridge until he died in the early 70s - ex-ASC and Glesca Specials...

Surrey police have seized and threatened to destroy files relating to the guilford pub bombing in1974. Five soldiers were killed. They are citing the data processing laws and 'duty of care'. I did'nt know that those regulations could be used as a defence against 'conspiracy to pervert the course of justice'. Wonder what they are trying to hide and how they justify this in the face of closure for the families of the soldier victims? Must have something to do with the new inquest........I don't think the Stasi could have been much different.

Last edited:

syrup

LE
Two of Northern Irelands prominent hauliers are catholic and protestants.
One's livery is bright orange, ones livery if Green and White.

Keeps it simple really

sore knees

Old-Salt
Sounds about right. I remember the Lower Ormeau protest group having a fit when a 'The future's bright, the future's Orange' billboard went up there when they were disputing a 12th feeder parade going up there.
Having a fit, they went boogaloo. Very funny.

Reminds me of the old one about the priest in, Coatbridge was it?, visiting his few parishioners. He's having tea when next thing he hears the strains of "The Sash" being played just outside in the street, he panics and leaves to go to another house, five minutes later, he hears the distinctive "Dee, dee, dee, dah, dah, dah, daah, dee, dah" outside again.

He gets up and leaves, rushing for another house in another street.

After a couple of times he's run ragged and he asks the lady in the house how he can escape the Orangemen who are following him around. "Ah faither, dinnae wurry, thon's just the ice cream van".

Reminds me of the old one about the priest in, Coatbridge was it?, visiting his few parishioners. He's having tea when next thing he hears the strains of "The Sash" being played just outside in the street, he panics and leaves to go to another house, five minutes later, he hears the distinctive "Dee, dee, dee, dah, dah, dah, daah, dee, dah" outside again.

He gets up and leaves, rushing for another house in another street.

After a couple of times he's run ragged and he asks the lady in the house how he can escape the Orangemen who are following him around. "Ah faither, dinnae wurry, thon's just the ice cream van".
What tune did the ice cream van play in Derry - 'Come out ye Black and Tans' ?

I wonder if ex soldiers will be eligible for the new 'victims pension' for injuries sustained in NI. Sometimes War pensions are only realized years after events, but are never backdated to the acknowledged date of attribution. Consequently there can be long periods of uncompensated suffering even when a WP is awarded.

Regarding my reasoning for my post at #5177, it has been revealed that the Troubles 'Victims Pension' will be back-dated for six years. An army war pension is only paid from the date of application. I would think that in the interest of equity any recipient of a WP whose injuries can be linked to service in NI and whose dates of service are prior to the date of application , should reasonably expect either to have his/her WP backdated for up to six years (depending on the dates of service/award) or be eligible for six years of a pro-rated element of the Victims Pension. After all, these were men at the front line literally risking life and limb on a daily basis, some for a considerable number of years, whose efforts did result in injury through no fault of their own. Any period between the date of service/injury and the date of a successful application for a WP, under current rules, remains void of any compensation.

Anyone having been based at this location will recognize it in an instant. You may not however, immediately recognize the young fella nearest the camera holding the flag?
Flag bearer.jpg

Latest Threads