Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

skeetstar

Old-Salt
I think that particular item is specifically for cutting Turf or more correctly "Peat" for fuel?
My father from Monaghan, ex Belfast, often used the phrase.. with a face as long as a lurgan spade.

If you look at some of the sinn fein flags from 1916, green white and gold - Ireland and the papal colours. The orange is a post civil war interpretation, and before anyone disagrees with facts, truth is perception, and this was my perception growing up in the 60's.
Except the green white and orange was used in 1948 by the Young Irelanders
LINKY
"6 Back in Dublin, on April 15, 1848, Meagher presented this silk flag to the citizens of Ireland, and said: “The white in the centre signifies a lasting truce between the ‘orange’ and the ‘green’.”

Truth is not perception, obviously, belief is perception maybe.

Except the green white and orange was used in 1948 by the Young Irelanders
LINKY
"6 Back in Dublin, on April 15, 1848, Meagher presented this silk flag to the citizens of Ireland, and said: “The white in the centre signifies a lasting truce between the ‘orange’ and the ‘green’.”

Truth is not perception, obviously, belief is perception maybe.
Maybe so, but many believe that the flag has a yellow/gold past and a link to the Vatican colours

'According to G.A.Hayes-McCoy in ‘A History of Irish Flags from the Earliest Times’ (Academy Press, Dublin, 1979) the third colour was sometimes orange, sometimes yellow and sometimes gold, with orange not becoming the predominant colour until it was adopted by the Defence Forces of the Irish Free State in 1923; “army usage influenced the Irish public and the orange stripe ousted the yellow in the popular use of colours throughout the country.” Even so the third colour was still being desribed as yellow in 1934, ‘National Flags’ by E.H. Baxter, and occasionally yellow in 1939, ‘Flags of the World’ by V.Wheeler-Holohan, who wrote that “the green is for Ireland and the white and orange (or yellow) are the Papal Colours.”
David Prothero, 1 September 2012

Maybe so, but many believe that the flag has a yellow/gold past and a link to the Vatican colours

'According to G.A.Hayes-McCoy in ‘A History of Irish Flags from the Earliest Times’ (Academy Press, Dublin, 1979) the third colour was sometimes orange, sometimes yellow and sometimes gold, with orange not becoming the predominant colour until it was adopted by the Defence Forces of the Irish Free State in 1923; “army usage influenced the Irish public and the orange stripe ousted the yellow in the popular use of colours throughout the country.” Even so the third colour was still being desribed as yellow in 1934, ‘National Flags’ by E.H. Baxter, and occasionally yellow in 1939, ‘Flags of the World’ by V.Wheeler-Holohan, who wrote that “the green is for Ireland and the white and orange (or yellow) are the Papal Colours.”
David Prothero, 1 September 2012
Unfortunately myths, memories and symbols tend to have an extraordinary impact over truth in the development of all societies - by no means peculiar to Ireland. My ex often spoke of the green, white and gold, reluctant as she was to offer the 'orange barstewards' any semblance of comfort from her preferred national flag..............other than her prayers that is, for a really hot day on the twelfth so that "some of the feckers would have a heart attack during the march".

I recall a few years ago when the Republic of Ireland trialled a new away strip, rather than the usual white, they went with a sort of luminous orange colour. RTE sent out a reporter to ask fans what they thought of it, the universal opinion was unfavourable, with fans saying orange wasn't "an Irish colour" like the usual green or white, was it? There was some scratching of heads in the studio about the basic lack of understanding among soccer fans about their country's national colours.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I recall a few years ago when the Republic of Ireland trialled a new away strip, rather than the usual white, they went with a sort of luminous orange colour. RTE sent out a reporter to ask fans what they thought of it, the universal opinion was unfavourable, with fans saying orange wasn't "an Irish colour" like the usual green or white, was it? There was some scratching of heads in the studio about the basic lack of understanding among soccer fans about their country's national colours.
Dundee United(formally known as Dundee Hibernian) play in Tangerine, not orange for some reason or other!

Dundee United(formally known as Dundee Hibernian) play in Tangerine, not orange for some reason or other!
And their fans are called Arabs, but using the American pronunciation.

They let the Chairman's wife choose the colour palette.

Pity the Sunday Pub League -SPL isn't sponsored by Orange mobile phone, just to watch the apoplexy resulting from the end of a Celtic - Rangers game announcement of 'Orange man of the match'.

Pity the Sunday Pub League -SPL isn't sponsored by Orange mobile phone, just to watch the apoplexy resulting from the end of a Celtic - Rangers game announcement of 'Orange man of the match'.
I must point out that the following is neither myth nor mistook, but in the aftermath of the IRA assasination of British spies in Dublin 1920, Republicans were rounded up and interned on the prison ship HMS Argenta...........formerly the SS Argenta built at none other than...........Orange, Texas! Couldn't make it up.
1006-argenta1-08.jpg

Latest Threads