Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Five years INF and I only fired the CG once, and if I recall correctly that was sub-cal. Never clapped eyes on a TPTP round.

“Hello Sir - my, what a pretty purple cloak you’re wearing...
Seven years cavalry. I'd been in Command Troop a year or two before I discovered Command Troop had Charlie Gs (one per ACV). At annual firing, there was no battlegroup to command, so annual firing might be boring. If Big Lou the RSM didn't decide he needed to take grenade throwing events, LMG, etc. And one year, Charlie G.

There were as I recall a dozen of us paired off and trained with drill rounds, then to firing. One PRAC round each. Easily identifiable as PRAC by the sky blue payload. After lunch, one service HEAT round each at a real dead tank. Except for some unknown reason we were one service round short. Draw straws. I lost. But I got my moment. I loaded Phil C's HEAT, we did the stuff, he sent it downrange. Big Lou had made it abundantly clear that, since we were all CVR(T) gunners, there was no excuse for missing with the service round.

Phil dropped his short. Then it ricocheted into the target.

Last edited:

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
We used to have pamphlets sent around units from the RAOC ref ammo accidents. Accidents were either considered:
Error of Drills
Defective ammunition
and one other which I forget.
It was often an amusing read, I recall one where a RA gunner in the Yemen tried to sell a shell case to an Arab. To demonstrate his wares, he placed the case end on into the sand, and to show the Arab how sound the brass was he struck the base with a spanner. There was an explosion. Result, one soldier and one Arab in shock and with burns to both of there feet.
RAOC conclusion; ERROR OF DRILL.

We used to have pamphlets sent around units from the RAOC ref ammo accidents. Accidents were either considered:
Error of Drills
Defective ammunition
It was often an amusing read, I recall one where a RA gunner in the Yemen tried to sell a shell case to an Arab. To demonstrate his wares, he placed the case end on into the sand, and to show the Arab how sound the brass was he struck the base with a spanner. There was an explosion. Result one soldier and one Arab in shock and with burns to both of there feet.
WTF was a plank doing with a spanner?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Error of Drills
Defective ammunition
It was often an amusing read, I recall one where a RA gunner in the Yemen tried to sell a shell case to an Arab. To demonstrate his wares, he placed the case end on into the sand, and to show the Arab how sound the brass was he struck the base with a spanner. There was an explosion. Result, one soldier and one Arab in shock and with burns to both of there feet.
Error of spanner?

RMAS riot training, rear of New College, 1979:

IMG_0808.jpg

Nice Saracens but crowds weren't terribly big:

IMG_0809.jpg

Pig + (small!) Baseline, Bielefeld, 1988:

IMG_0811.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Talking of PIRA own goals, when I was on a NIRTT course I remember getting told about an incident where they intended to carry out a hit using an RPG-7 fired from inside a car (in order to facilitate their subsequent escape). Unfortunately - so the story went - they forgot to take into account the back blast and also forgot to open the windows which resulted in them burning to death rather quickly. Did anyone else hear of this?

I'm not disputing the truth of it but have always been curious as to the details.
If I recall right it was a taxi (shocker I know) in Belfast. I think either the Falls or Shankhill. Willing to be contradicted though about the location.

Nor were the Civ Pop. Not sure why I ended up with this wee fellow, I think he was one of our arrest on site chappies - again rear of New College in 1978!
If only he'd thought to stay clear of anywhere construction was happening.

Old-Salt
Ugly, I can't see how that can happen?
It was why I said it was "TPTP" above and not an inert round, as I was being a bit pedantic about the different natures!
In NI use at the time there was an inert drill round painted blue for practicing the drills. The TPTP if I remember correctly was brown?

I think I recall the HEAT round as being green. [This was in the last century and my ears are still ringing!] HEAT was not in use in NI and were in short supply anyway for training [ie 1 round per gun per year]

I vaguely remember reading the accident report and someone had brought the wrong round to the training and it was not noticed when loaded. IIRC I think the warhead went through a few walls within the camp building and caused serious injury to a serviceman inside one of them.

From memory the banning of wearing 'melting' lightweights on ops was a result of the Falklands in 1982; most likely the Welsh Guards on Sir Galahad.
Simon Weston is sadly divorcing his wife.

For adultery, he said the kids look **** like him

Whilst looking out some stuff from OP GRAPPLE, I tripped over this:

NISR-Positive 001.jpg

For those who've never seen one, it's a 'posi' NI Search Report. In the grand scheme of things, it was small beer-sadly, we didn't come with a long gun for the ammunition *sigh*.

. . . still, I don't care 'cos it was my last search as a USA on what turned out to be the last day of my last tour.

Colour me 'Slightly Happy'.

Whilst looking out some stuff from OP GRAPPLE, I tripped over this:

View attachment 435806

For those who've never seen one, it's a 'posi' NI Search Report. In the grand scheme of things, it was small beer-sadly, we didn't come with a long gun for the ammunition *sigh*.

. . . still, I don't care 'cos it was my last search as a USA on what turned out to be the last day of my last tour.

Colour me 'Slightly Happy'.
Nicely filled in with the use of a ruler!

Latest Threads