Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

My favourite photo in that genre, I saw at NITAT in 1979.

It was taken at a post-mortem examination of the remains of the ex-SAS cvnt whose life and terrorist career ended in summer 1976* when the IED he was planting at a gasometer in Belfast detonated prematurely, after he'd breached the perimeter fence.

The contents of the gasometer were ignited, and the consequent blast had propelled his mortal remains back the way he'd come - through the chain link perimeter fence.

Literally through it.

He'd come out the other side like a King Edward pressed through a chipper (each piece of the boyo being sausage-like, but roughly 2" square viewed end-on) and some lucky souls had collected all the fragments from the crime scene, after which he had been pieced back together on the slab, like a weird 3-D jigsaw puzzle.

Live by the sword, etcetera.

*The blast was sufficiently dramatic (in daylight, mark you) that an AAC Gazelle pilot overflying Keady saw and reported it, mistaking it at first for a smaller blast somewhere in his local vicinity.
WIS used that series of photos to brush up morale when talking to groups of troops during training sessions. They were part of a fairly large collection of nasties which we held. Only those showing ex-baddies were used for this purpose. I seem to remember that someone at HQNI had a heart-flutter toward the end of my tour in '78 and banned them.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Apologies if this has been posted before, but there are some cracking images here: News 1969-1979 Ireland Northern Ireland War Photos of the British Army in Northern Ireland – 1969-1979

The one with Prince Charles copied below looks like he's talking to cadets, although they were in fact grown-up Jocks.
View attachment 434264
Notice the officer to the rear right wearing his best 'Royalty in attendance', expression!'
The small Jock addressing price Charles reminds me of the joke that went the rounds of NI. A Jock in his cramped billet was asked by GOC NI who was inspecting billets about Belfast after complaints in the press of poor accom for troops. Goc to Jock 'You Comfy here?' Surprised Jock ' No Surr, I com furr Glasgow!!'

Last edited:
It's a photo of an Irish Army bloke.
You're right, of course. Upstream of that is a couple of Saracens labelled 'Ferrets', so no real surprise. The photo showing some Irish troops at a VCP is also labelled British Army.

someone at HQNI had a heart-flutter toward the end of my tour in '78 and banned them
On the basis that it's a dirty dangerous business, and it's best that realisation should come to you only on the first occasion that you're exposed to it?

Wnaker.

I recall also a mortuary slab picture of some poor bint (West Belfast, barmaid, possibly at one of the shebeens of the day) shot in the face by PIRA, at short range with a .357" magnum.

No face, no top of the head. That had all been rendered a void.

From neck up, just the ears, either side of that void, and a few remnants of hair hanging from what was left of the hairline.

Talking of "photos", we were shown a few pictures of a couple of dead provos. One female, one male. Blew them self's up in a car, both on a mortuary slab with lumps of seat hanging out of their backs.
This was around November '77.

Our in-house WIS section morale-enhancing photographs had one or two spectacular own-goals from the various bombing teams. One was of Ethel Lynch, who had been making up letter-bombs when one objected to being handled and took off most of both her hands. As there was nobody else in the flat at the time, she bled out while trying to open the door and leave. Secretaries throughout England were subsequently spared contact with her product.

HHH

GCM
Didn't one of the ranges at Lydd have a "black museum" of such photos etc

When we (1RRF) went to Warminster in 1992, we had a security briefing related to increased activity from the Provo's. Included in the presentation were photos of the two Aussies who were shot in Holland. Pretty nasty, to put it mildly, and a couple of brand new, female, civvy clerks were looking a bit green around the gills.

HE117

LE
Our in-house WIS section morale-enhancing photographs had one or two spectacular own-goals from the various bombing teams. One was of Ethel Lynch, who had been making up letter-bombs when one objected to being handled and took off most of both her hands. As there was nobody else in the flat at the time, she bled out while trying to open the door and leave. Secretaries throughout England were subsequently spared contact with her product.
... device hit the corner of the table as I recall!

Warminster in 1992, we had a security briefing related to increased activity from the Provo's.
A spate of coward's violence that had a number of unintended consequences.

We were told to be afraid of being seen in uniform - so I'd cycle to work at HQ ARRC in Bielefeld wearing Levis and a Gebirgsmutze, the better to be mistooken for Frantizek (itinerant mitteleuropaisch railway worker).

My German gaffer, a real anglophile, was somehow oblivious, and turned up at the barrack gate one weekend morning ( to buy the Sunday Times?) in brown cords, trilby and Barbour jacket - and got a bollokking from the corporal of the guard for wearing "off duty uniform ".

A spate of coward's violence that had a number of unintended consequences.

We were told to be afraid of being seen in uniform - so I'd cycle to work at HQ ARRC in Bielefeld wearing Levis and a Gebirgsmutze, the better to be mistooken for Frantizek (itinerant mitteleuropaisch railway worker).

My German gaffer, a real anglophile, was somehow oblivious, and turned up at the barrack gate one weekend morning ( to buy the Sunday Times?) in brown cords, trilby and Barbour jacket - and got a bollokking from the corporal of the guard for wearing "off duty uniform ".
The brief was good and relevant but also had some scaremongering. As a result, Bn HQ concluded that the barracks had been targeted and we were going to be hit any second. So for sometime, we had to take our helmets and a combat jacket with us everywhere around camp.

scaremongering
Too much of that.

When CGS finally summoned up sufficient courage to (partially) lift the ban on wearing uniform outside the barracks(circa 1999?) I was based at Camberley, wearing civvies as a matter of routine.

But I took the trouble - the day after the lifting - to take my DPM to work, and nip to Woking clad in it for some lunchtime shopping.

Woking is the closest town to Pirbright, and not too far from Aldershot (home of the British Army, allegedly) yet I was aware of civvies falling off kerbs, or getting whiplash injuries 'cuz they'd never seen a real life soldier before

Too much of that.

When CGS finally summoned up sufficient courage to (partially) lift the ban on wearing uniform outside the barracks(circa 1999?) I was based at Camberley, wearing civvies as a matter of routine.

But I took the trouble - the day after the lifting - to take my DPM to work, and nip to Woking clad in it for some lunchtime shopping.

Woking is the closest town to Pirbright, and not too far from Aldershot (home of the British Army, allegedly) yet I was aware of civvies falling off kerbs, or getting whiplash injuries 'cuz they'd never seen a real life soldier before
Alternatively, they had never seen someone so ugly with just one head.

Latest Threads