Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

The perceived thinking is that the supermarket, to fill the boot is the time you drive into a space, to keep your boot accessible, is right.

There's a school of thought that driving into a space might deter a car thief, who has to start it and turn it round before he's spotte, but I don't see it. also if cold wet and very windy, nose to the wall keeps the elements out of the radiator. Reversing out of a space in cold or wet with a cold engine and less than 100% clear windows is harder than reversing into the space when they're warm and clear.

I can't remember where I read it. Wasn't my brother's Northumbria Special Patrol Group copy of Roadcraft by HMSO, which he lowned to me the day I passed my test in 72, or I'd not have got the lecture in 76.
Bloke I know was a copper a long time ago.He and another bloke were being considered for 'traffic' at their pre assessment,they were out and about and the other bloke drove front first into a parking spot, my mate got the spot on the course.

I was away for a weekend with the missus at Shrigley Hall near Macclesfield the other week & took three of the fcukers out of the tray at brekkie, i could feel myself actually wanting to look around furtively to see if some sweaty fat cnut with a ladel heading for my head was behind me. I almost pepper potted back to our table from pillar to pillar hiding my plate under my tee shirt.

Go to Morrison's cafes, they serve always three sausages! My youngest doesn't get why I snigger when the plate arrives. M'eh!

Remember that on my last tour of South Armagh being airlifted for the weekly nobble run (code changer for cougar radios) being dropped off OUTSIDE of NTH. My BFT times were a credit to me as I sprinted towards the front gate.
When I was there, the HLS was over the road from the base. Scoff resupply was fun, running like f**k carrying bags of frozen chips and burgers. Good times.
The HLS is now inside, I've had a look on google earth.

ches

LE
When I was there, the HLS was over the road from the base. Scoff resupply was fun, running like f**k carrying bags of frozen chips and burgers. Good times.
The HLS is now inside, I've had a look on google earth.
Early mid 80's i'm sure i remember it being 'outside the wire' as it was called - due the plethora of Nam fillums around then.

True - I only visited New Barnsley, but found it okay. Woodburn RUC had one as well. Cracking Ulster fries in the RUC canteen in woodburn.
The Ulster fry was all part of Adams long war strategy to kill British Solders.. With the Armalite, the Ballot Box and the Spatula... ;)
ETA,,Have another sausage...

True - I only visited New Barnsley, but found it okay. Woodburn RUC had one as well. Cracking Ulster fries in the RUC canteen in woodburn.
Dropped off the CLF at Ballylumford power station once and the sausage soda I was given by the security guards on the gate was the best I’ve ever had.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Nice to get some good news on a Monday - cheers me up for the rest of the week.
Less not forget, he's the gent that went through the theatre of being arrested at Heathrow, arraigned at the Old Bailey, then waved a 'comfort letter' at the proceedings.
A principal player, England Department, within the PIRA cardinals given every priority for amnesty as part of GFA.
Has ditched his wealth throughout his family should he be held to financial task.
Another one of his ilk who is now finding that the PSNI & Gardai relationship "hasn't gone away" either.

'DON'T STAND IN THE YARD!'
I never went to NHSM as it was in the process of being closed down when I first went to NI. However, the duty rumour at the time (1994) was that a serious amount of ammunition was recovered from knooks and crannies throughout the site. Apparently ATO and the REST had to sweep the place thoroughly before it came under new management.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I never went to NHSM as it was in the process of being closed down when I first went to NI. However, the duty rumour at the time (1994) was that a serious amount of ammunition was recovered from knooks and crannies throughout the site. Apparently ATO and the REST had to sweep the place thoroughly before it came under new management.

I can believe it. My comment came from the propensity of locals to lob pipe bombs over the fence into the yard while everyone stood around having a fag....

I can believe it. My comment came from the propensity of locals to lob pipe bombs over the fence into the yard while everyone stood around having a fag....
GWD was a bit similar in that respect regarding the locals. You didn't exactly have to hard target when moving around inside but dawdling about was frowned upon; usually resulting in a burst of shouting emanating from the Chemistry Block by some irate grown-up!

Every base we closed was searched first and every one of them had SAA come out of it that had been hidden over the years. The worst in 8 Bde, by a considerable margin, was the RMP accommodation in Clooney.

Every base we closed was searched first and every one of them had SAA come out of it that had been hidden over the years. The worst in 8 Bde, by a considerable margin, was the RMP accommodation in Clooney.
I can believe it - 176 were a bunch of cowboys! Did you find the residue of the dead fish that somehow made it's way into the false ceiling area above the OC's office in Coy HQ?!!! Caused a bit of a stink, that!!

Edit made to slag off a pro coy I never served with!!

Oyibo

LE

1 PARA (amongst others) did a lot of the clearing out of NHSM, and the stories from the blokes doing it certainly backs up what you say.

ETA, are you sure it wasn't '95. We deployed Dec '94 and didn't start clearing NHSM immediately.

Last edited:
The worst in 8 Bde, by a considerable margin, was the RMP accommodation in Clooney.
Mind you, much as I'd want to be obvious about our RMP family, I'd bet the 5.56 likely found would have come from our Cousins based there not many years previously.
These gents had form for bringing in loads of the stuff for onward distribution to a naiscent revolution as they viewed it or at least as their wives or girlfriends considered.

Latest Threads