Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Oyibo

LE
Landed a Lynx in Aughnacloy at night in a snowstorm and you’re right, bloody tight. We shut down as the weather was so bad and phoned Aldergrove to let them know where we were. Ops officer said he’d grounded all aircraft for the night so go and have a beer. We did.
This Augnacloy?:

Aughnacloy-SF-Base.jpg

Oyibo

LE
If it's got Turkey sheds outside that's it. During the warm months it was noxious!
Can't remember turkey sheds - I was only there for a couple of weeks. Here's another shot of the new SF base 'super-sanger' (taken from a Lynx BTW):

Aughnacloy-super-sanger.jpg

I'd no idea they'd worked out how to camouflage a Gazelle as a Lynx.

Oyibo

LE
Very new looking, when I was there it was shite!
Again like beefer it was 39 years ago but below is a panorama photo I took from the sangar
When I was there it was the newest SF base in the province. A horribly dingy place due to being fully mortar hardened.

My one happy memory was an Ops Sergeant waking me up with the immortal words, "Sir, have you heard? Di's as dead as a Dodi."

So that should narrow down when I was there.

Oyibo

LE
Probably but it was 38 years ago!

Don't think the HLS was in a corner though.
The HLS was on the tarmac with the convenient 'No Parking' written on it. The photo is from '97. Peace in our time (apart from one or two contacts in the TAOR).

Oyibo

LE
Super..... I would have been happy with "Fit for human habitation".
Along with the new Fort Whiterock it is one of the most depressing places in which I served. (Fort Whiterock also had a super-sanger errm...)

ugly

LE
Along with the new Fort Whiterock it is one of the most depressing places in which I served. (Fort Whiterock also had a super-sanger errm...)
As did New Barnsley and Macrory Park although they were not a patch on the Auchnowatsit one and the Macrory Pk one didn't even cover the nearest road junct as 1 BW found!

Oyibo

LE
As did New Barnsley and Macrory Park although they were not a patch on the Auchnowatsit one and the Macrory Pk one didn't even cover the nearest road junct as 1 BW found!
True - I only visited New Barnsley, but found it okay. Woodburn RUC had one as well. Cracking Ulster fries in the RUC canteen in woodburn.

Latest Threads