Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Zhopa

War Hero
Back on the original topic of the thread for a moment...

Those of us that still have memories left might recall heated discussion on the Ally thread last year about this individual -

1570611803982.png

- and how he got that way.

Well at the time I asked the photographer about it. And he's now got in touch to say that a compilation of his NI photographs has now been published. So if you're old enough and bold enough, and have deep enough pockets for an "art book", here's the blurb:

TROUBLED IRELAND Final.jpg

TROUBLED IRELAND.jpg

And Amazon allege they are low on stock (probably only bought one to see if anybody was interested):

ches

LE
Ever find yourself walking the cuds and looking at gorse bushes and wondering if it would make a good OP?
My old man, back in the 70's when we were pootling around on hols............sees some nice flat terrain with cracking fields of view to the horizon...........'ah bloody good tank country this'...........he wasn't even in the feckin tanks!

My old man, back in the 70's when we were pootling around on hols............sees some nice flat terrain with cracking fields of view to the horizon...........'ah bloody good tank country this'...........he wasn't even in the feckin tanks!
When I'm at the hotel breakfast buffet and I see somebody helping themselves I think " Oi Cnut, one sausage only!" and I wasn't even a slop jockey.

Uglyfatgit

War Hero
Found myself explaining Winthrop theory to the family while on a walk the other day, then thought better of it.
Probably a wise decision, as I've been informed by a RESA that its no longer called Winthrop theory, as old Winthrop had an interview without coffee with the old bill regarding some photos of young children. Personally I've always thought that it's an excuse/cover for info from an informer. 'Yes we found the hide because if you stand in line between the oak and the farm gate you can see a hole in the hedge' - really in the cuds in NI!!!

Maybe some RE - tard, could confirm?

Last edited:

ches

LE
When I'm at the hotel breakfast buffet and I see somebody helping themselves I think " Oi Cnut, one sausage only!" and I wasn't even a slop jockey.
I was away for a weekend with the missus at Shrigley Hall near Macclesfield the other week & took three of the fcukers out of the tray at brekkie, i could feel myself actually wanting to look around furtively to see if some sweaty fat cnut with a ladel heading for my head was behind me. I almost pepper potted back to our table from pillar to pillar hiding my plate under my tee shirt.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Probably a wise decision, as I've been informed by a RESA that its no longer called Winthrop theory, as old Winthrop had an interview without coffee with the old bill regarding some photos of young children.
Sounds like Geiger Counter. Because Geiger was a devout Nazi, the scientific community now prefers the term Geiger-Müller Tube.

We used the school in auchnacloy, for a helicopter pick up point , I think it was before the kids were allowed out for there break , this was 1979
We did the same in 1980, wasn't the pick up on the playing field - don't remember seeing any kids around. So much easier with the Lynx which landed in the base.

There’s just something about culverts and primary and secondary markers that just won’t go away :)

Found myself explaining Winthrop theory to the family while on a walk the other day, then thought better of it.
I do twitch with culverts as well. All my boys can use the Winthrop theory if they get it wrong they sleep rough as I sometimes hide the house keys in a tin near the big t**e!

Probably a wise decision, as I've been informed by a RESA that its no longer called Winthrop theory, as old Winthrop had an interview without coffee with the old bill regarding some photos of young children. Personally I've always thought that it's an excuse/cover for info from an informer. 'Yes we found the hide because if you stand in line between the oak and the farm gate you can see a hole in the hedge' - really in the cuds in NI!!!

Maybe some RE - tard, could confirm?
Maybe jealousy as Winthrop was an RRF pl comd who had a series of finds around Moy - Benburb.

I am really struggling now, to figure out how an aircraft got a cock-pit!
We had an increasing number of female pilots starting from the late 90’s and one of my colleagues suggested we change the name from “cockpit”to “box-room”

pete49

Old-Salt
We did the same in 1980, wasn't the pick up on the playing field - don't remember seeing any kids around. So much easier with the Lynx which landed in the base.
From memory, we had different pick up points round the area , the base I think was too small for Wessex , think the school was closed after hours or before they were outside playing , not sure , a lifetime ago

ACAB

LE
From memory, we had different pick up points round the area , the base I think was too small for Wessex , think the school was closed after hours or before they were outside playing , not sure , a lifetime ago
Remember that on my last tour of South Armagh being airlifted for the weekly nobble run (code changer for cougar radios) being dropped off OUTSIDE of NTH. My BFT times were a credit to me as I sprinted towards the front gate.

Your right the base was too small for a Wessex pick up and lethal for a Lynx with all the crinkly tin lying around as part of the sniper screens. The school was the normal pick up and drop off for the bigger stuff,but as you said a lifetime ago!
Just looked out of my office window - 2 Apaches en route to RAF BZN, scary looking beasts!

Your right the base was too small for a Wessex pick up and lethal for a Lynx with all the crinkly tin lying around as part of the sniper screens. The school was the normal pick up and drop off for the bigger stuff,but as you said a lifetime ago!
Just looked out of my office window - 2 Apaches en route to RAF BZN, scary looking beasts!
Landed a Lynx in Aughnacloy at night in a snowstorm and you’re right, bloody tight. We shut down as the weather was so bad and phoned Aldergrove to let them know where we were. Ops officer said he’d grounded all aircraft for the night so go and have a beer. We did.

Landed a Lynx in Aughnacloy at night in a snowstorm and you’re right, bloody tight. We shut down as the weather was so bad and phoned Aldergrove to let them know where we were. Ops officer said he’d grounded all aircraft for the night so go and have a beer. We did.
Lots of salubrious venues in A/Cloy - like the Chogies for a lukewarm tin of Tennents

Latest Threads