Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Bone, naive question... why wasn’t Ian Paisley ever topped by some arm or another of the republicans?
He seemed one of the most prominent anti catholics.

It would’ve been quite a coup though.
A moral lifter.
Momentarily yes, but then he would then have achieved martyr status through assassination. No doubt he would have been replaced with an either equally bigoted individual or worse still several individuals.

Mike Barton

War Hero
Bone, naive question... why wasn’t Ian Paisley ever topped by some arm or another of the republicans?
It would’ve been quite a coup though.
A moral lifter.
It would merely have confirmed that the "war" was a sectarian protestant-versus-catholic dispute as the British would have preferred to frame it, rather than a struggle for independence from British rule that Republicans insisted it was.

Paisley, objectionable though he was to most Republicans, was not viewed as a part of the "British war machine". He was just a loudmouthed preacher and therefore not a legitimate target.

That is not to say that many protestant civilians and indeed Unionist politicians were not targeted by Republicans, of course they were, but Republicans invariably tried to dress the victims up as agents of the British state (usually very tenuous indeed but the attempt at justification was made), accidental targets or simply deny that they had carried out the attack.

Killing Paisley would have been nothing other than a sectarian attack and could not be presented in any other way, the backlash might well have been horrendous, forcing Republicans to then engage in a nakedly sectarian and possibly all-out civil war while the British sat back and said "See? We told you they're just a bunch of bigoted hillbillies fighting each other over religion".

There was no upside to killing Paisley.

while the British sat back and said "See? We told you they're just a bunch of bigoted hillbillies fighting each other over religion".
We did anyway.

I'm from the West Coast of Scotland, I know bigoted hillbillies fighting over religion when I see them.

ches

LE
I watched the first episode of that series last night. A good prog by the looks of it. The incident towards the end of the prog where the poor lady had been shot by some dick with an FRG, apparently through her living room window. She was blinded, anyone know the background to the incident & was there any investigation?

Mike Barton

War Hero
I watched the first episode of that series last night. A good prog by the looks of it. The incident towards the end of the prog where the poor lady had been shot by some dick with an FRG, apparently through her living room window. She was blinded, anyone know the background to the incident & was there any investigation?
Is this the lady in question?

Emma Groves - Wikipedia

There was a similar incident in Derry where a boy was blinded by a rubber bullet, the boy grew up to be a peace campaigner and was actually reconciled with the soldier who fired the bullet, he apologised and was forgiven.

Soldier and boy he blinded 40 years ago become friends

ugly

LE
Just curious, were the L42 rounds 303? I never fired one but heard they were the older rounds (?).
Nope, those would have been from the No4t, very similar the L42 was all 7.62x 51mm

Because we had to make sure he wasn't. The patrols and God knows what else that went into keeping him and his mob and the Civil rights brigade alive for example - Bernadette Mccluskey

On 16 January 1981 she and her husband were shot by members of the Ulster Freedom Fighters, who broke into their home near Coalisland, County Tyrone. The gunmen shot Devlin nine times in front of her children. British soldiers were watching the McAliskey home at the time, but failed to prevent the assassination attempt. It has been claimed that Devlin's assassination was ordered by British authorities and that collusion was a factor. An army patrol of the 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment entered the house and waited for half an hour. Devlin has claimed they were waiting for the couple to die. Another group of soldiers then arrived and transported her by helicopter to a nearby hospital. The paramilitaries had torn out the telephone and while the wounded couple were being given first aid by the newly arrived troops, a soldier ran to a neighbour's house, commandeered a car, and drove to the home of a councillor to telephone for help. The couple were taken by helicopter to hospital in nearby Dungannon for emergency treatment and then to the Musgrave Park Hospital, Military Wing, in Belfast, under intensive care. The attackers, Ray Smallwoods, Tom Graham , both from Lisburn, and Andrew Watson from Seymour Hill, Dunmurry, were captured by the army patrol and subsequently jailed. All three were members of the South Belfast UDA. Smallwoods was the driver of the getaway car.

Old-Salt
Because we had to make sure he wasn't. The patrols and God knows what else that went into keeping him and his mob and .... [snip]
Rev P had police protection, obviously because of threats, MP etc. Armoured car driver and CP RUC officers. I recall about the time of him addressing a "Third Force" assembly there were some awkward questions for the protection team from the RUC hierarchy!

At the time I recall the local UDR CO querying that some of his troops may have been present and waving Firearms Certs .... until he was reminded that soldiers did not have FAC's for their weapons and service PPW's were held on a "carrying card".

Bryson allegedly bit the dust courtesy of an L42
That’s the Ballymurphy incident I mentioned - scoped SLR I believe.

The couple were taken by helicopter to hospital in nearby Dungannon for emergency treatment and then to the Musgrave Park Hospital, Military Wing, in Belfast, under intensive care.
She was given the last rites by the RC army priest at Musgrave but recovered. The priest was later posted as the garrison god botherer in Münster where I was based at the time. One night in the officer’s mess he got pissed and confessed to one of our squadron officers that he had a T shirt made with “IV’E SEEN BERNADETTE’S BUM” emblazoned on it.

Latest Threads