Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
What are you trying to say man?!

Come on!

Spit it out!!

Enough beating about the bush!!!
If he's suggesting that in Omagh, the locals who married hussars were ladies, I have some bad news for him.

If he's suggesting that in Omagh, the locals who married hussars were ladies, I have some bad news for him.
Yeah something like that

Out of curiosity was stuff like this ever reported in the press? Or are there any public records? I don’t doubt you I’m just assuming that the use of snipers on UK soil, and the disclosure around that, would be a lot different to what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan*

*i.e. he’d be offered a book deal.
I don’t recall if they were reported in the press, but I do recall seeing photos in various publications of soldiers/marines armed with L42s

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I don’t recall if they were reported in the press, but I do recall seeing photos in various publications of soldiers/marines armed with L42s
We had an L42 on our troop flick. My eyeballs came out on stalks when we drew it to clean. (I had to be informed that it wasn't a .303.)

Uglyfatgit

War Hero
Jesus had nothing to do with this one. It was about selective memory, historic malice, myth and, general criminality!

On both sides.

To paraphrase a number of youngsters on 'Pointless', "Oliver Cromwell was before my time"! ;-)
You do realise it's a quote from a song?

Every platoon in 2RRF, in West Belfast, in early 1975 had a soldier armed with an L42 as a matter of routine.

I had cause (as a mere 2Lt) to rebuke Fusilier Marra W for patrolling with his made ready, in defiance of extant SOPs and the like.

It might have entirely escaped my notice, but for the fact he was very deliberately toying with the action of his rifle, for the benefit of a captive audience, whilst we were processing at a VCP a minibus load of already stroppy wimmin who were on their way to visit their menfolk in The Maze.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Every platoon in 2RRF, in West Belfast, in early 1975 had a soldier armed with an L42 as a matter of routine.

I had cause (as a mere 2Lt) to rebuke Fusilier Marra W for patrolling with his made ready, in defiance of extant SOPs and the like.

It might have entirely escaped my notice, but for the fact he was very deliberately toying with the action of his rifle, for the benefit of a captive audience, whilst we were processing at a VCP a minibus load of already stroppy wimmin who were on their way to visit their menfolk in The Maze.
Fusilier Marra, you say? I'm seeing a pattern. If we give some of the Geordies non-automatic rifles, in the event of things going noisy, the air might not fill with quite as much metal.

Fusilier Marra, you say? I'm seeing a pattern. If we give some of the Geordies non-automatic rifles, in the event of things going noisy, the air might not fill with quite as much metal.
He was a Midlander (Cov, from memory) Marra was just a nickname he somehow picked up along the way. A very hard man, let me tell you, as was his brother (who I last saw wearing three stripes).

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I found Tyrone and Fermanagh generally friendly.
Newry was much the same, as was Forkhill. Pleasant and friendly, always ready with a cheerful greeting and couldn't do enough to make our stay comfortable.

There may be an element of sarcasm in this post.

Don't think this has been mentioned elsewhere, a couple of programmes on BBC 4 tonight, (listed as BBC 1 NI), the second one has been broadcast before.

At 20:30 BBC One - Spotlight, Spotlight On The Troubles: A Secret History, Episode 1

At 22:00 BBC One - Squaddies on the Frontline
I just watched Episode 1.

Really good stuff.

A bit of a (pleasant) surprise to recognise a SNCO Pl Comd (1Pl, A Coy 2RRF) towards the end (" this is where the whistles start").

I certainly learned things I didn't know before.

And was chuffed tae feck with the fillum clips showing Saint Marty (dec'd) at work as a terrorist bomber.

the L42 was used during an incident involving 3 RGJ and a hijacked car in Nov 72 on the Falls Road - the 'sniper' was first to open fire and at the end of the incident one alleged gunman was dead.

ugly

LE
the L42 was used during an incident involving 3 RGJ and a hijacked car in Nov 72 on the Falls Road - the 'sniper' was first to open fire and at the end of the incident one alleged gunman was dead.
Bryson allegedly bit the dust courtesy of an L42

Latest Threads