Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

No, that’s the way things work out. You do what you are told and do your best. My dad was REME and went to NI loads of times (he certainly wasn’t around when I was born in early 1973) but we have been to North Howard Street Mill.
Beat that!
With respect I meant the General.

Initials KC? Despite having chatted with him a fair bit about his time in NI & involvement in sniping it's never come up. I'm inclined to think a minor story grew over time.
He never mentioned it around me either. It was always others who were there who raised the subject, unprompted.

Now scroll back and read #3,826 by @overopensights - who was involved.

Just came across a (very) old photo album. My first tour in 1974.

E9822CFD-D187-4CD2-8884-C55EC73A4748.jpeg

Near Ardoyne, Glenbryn Avenue I think. Jock P having a crafty smoke!

DD1FD151-1FCE-42FC-BE76-D821EDEB3140.jpeg

Me showing off my putees.

9A6CFA8C-2DA6-44E7-A2AD-0928F5E8C37B.jpeg

Quick trip to S Armagh to cover for an op following the killing of two members of 16PARA Bde Vigilant Platoon on the Concession road near XMG.

1B2039CF-4739-4132-9AD2-9421AEF6DE56.jpeg

Lifting for an eagle patrol from Bessbrook in a Scout.

Last edited:

ches

LE
Ref the Peter Taylor doc & his comments about 'if' he'd been a catholic post BS he'd have joined the PIRA. I've said on this here forum on a number of occasions, if i'd been subject to the bigotry & hatred through the 60's & early 70's that a lot of catholics were, then my sympathies would have been with those involved in trying to unite the country. I must add that my support would only have been to a political solution, in no way would I have supported or given succour to any terrorist murderers. But, i could easily see how a young catholic in those times would have joined the provos.

Bodies across the border. If there had been a contact & claims of having got one by one of our lot then i seem to recall the int cell being passed brigade wide info soon after of the nature of treatment that anyone had received in the hospitals in the likes of Dundalk etc. It seemed to us that there were obviously low level sources passing info back across the border on any who had been treated for gun shot injuries & the like.

View attachment 413227

Have you tried 'fiddling' with your presumably scanned prints? I'm no guru but had a quick go at the one above and managed this:

E9822CFD-D187-4CD2-8884-C55EC73A4748a.jpg

E2A: I don't know if there is any protocol for 'fiddling' with someone else's photos.

Last edited:
Aye. Stupid stuff, as is now. I didn’t get it then, don’t really get it know. I have visited the ROI and they thought my part in their war amusing. It wasn’t their war, or anyone’s, they just teased me over it. I was sent to NI believing everyone wanted to kill me, in later years I went there and everyone wanted to feed me, or marry their daughters.

It was never as simple as it seemed.

Some of the best hospitality I have ever received in Ulster was courtesy of very Republican Catholics in Tyrone.
Absolutely opposed to my every political belief. Perfectly happy to discuss those differences (whilst sitting over a drink too) and polite enough to acknowledge the point of view of others.

Not everybody in Northern Ireland believed violence was the answer, I think sometimes it is easy to forget that.
the majority of people on both sides of the argument were just ordinary people. Very few really wanted guns and bombs and some of those genuinely believed the IRA were their last defence.

It was never as simple as it seemed.

Some of the best hospitality I have ever received in Ulster was courtesy of very Republican Catholics in Tyrone.
Absolutely opposed to my every political belief. Perfectly happy to discuss those differences (whilst sitting over a drink too) and polite enough to acknowledge the point of view of others.

Not everybody in Northern Ireland believed violence was the answer, I think sometimes it is easy to forget that.
the majority of people on both sides of the argument were just ordinary people. Very few really wanted guns and bombs and some of those genuinely believed the IRA were their last defence.
Totally agree. I remember doing a search Op near Cookstown and having tea and cakes given to us in the cordon by two lovely old ladies who we had down in the int files as potentially unfriendly!

View attachment 413227

View attachment 413228

Me showing off my putees.

View attachment 413229

Quick trip to S Armagh to cover for an op following the killing of two members of 16PARA Bde Vigilant Platoon on the Concession road near XMG.

View attachment 413230

Lifting for an eagle patrol from Bessbrook in a Scout.
What rifle is that?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Totally agree. I remember doing a search Op near Cookstown and having tea and cakes given to us in the cordon by two lovely old ladies who we had down in the int files as potentially unfriendly!
I found Tyrone and Fermanagh generally friendly.

I found Tyrone and Fermanagh generally friendly.
As one of our Part Timers, a farmer in Fermanagh, once said; "I get on well with all my neighbours, I just don't stand with my back to some of them".

And the priests stood on both sides, and the priests stood behind, another war in
Jesus's name the blind against the blind.
Jesus had nothing to do with this one. It was about selective memory, historic malice, myth and, general criminality!

On both sides.

To paraphrase a number of youngsters on 'Pointless', "Oliver Cromwell was before my time"! ;-)

Well, it wouldn't be right to ask Cavalry to get theirselves involved in anything graceless, unpleasant or unlady now would it?
FOC

Latest Threads