Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

BopBopBop

Old-Salt
Another toilet.........…...……….:toilet:View attachment 408758
Well they all had something in common......

15 March 1974 - Patrick McDonald (21) and Kevin Murray (27), both Catholic members of the Provisional Irish Republican Army, were killed in the premature explosion of a land mine at Aughnacloy Road, Dungannon.

16 August 1973: two IRA volunteers, Daniel McAnallen (aged 27) and Patrick Quinn were killed when a mortar prematurely exploded during an attack on Pomeroy British Army/RUC base.

25 June 1973 - Sean Loughran (37), Patrick Carty (26) and Dermot Crowley, all Catholics and members of the Provisional Irish Republican Army, were killed in a premature bomb explosion while travelling in a car, Gortin Road, near Omagh.

Last edited:

15 March 1974 - Patrick McDonald (21) and Kevin Murray (27), both Catholic members of the Provisional Irish Republican Army, were killed in the premature explosion of a land mine at Aughnacloy Road, Dungannon.

16 August 1973: two IRA volunteers, Daniel McAnallen (aged 27) and Patrick Quinn were killed when a mortar prematurely exploded during an attack on Pomeroy British Army/RUC base.

25 June 1973 - Sean Loughran (37), Patrick Carty (26) and Dermot Crowley, all Catholics and members of the Provisional Irish Republican Army, were killed in a premature bomb explosion while travelling in a car, Gortin Road, near Omagh.
BFFT..... Back For Further Training... :rolleyes: ;)

ches

LE

Where they all fat fingered boss eyed mongs then? Bit of an admin vortex when it came to pissing about with explosives. Shame.

I do like an own goal...

Go to the Guinness tower in Dublin.

Pay a fiver for the guided tour, then minesweep all the abandoned tourist pints in the penthouse bar.

That's my idea of return on investment. :thumleft:
Funny enough I did just that a couple of years ago. I love the Japs, lily livered slanty eyed feckers.

Top cover view of Divis:

IMG_0329.jpg

EOD Pig 12 BK 96 - I wonder if it's still around?

IMG_0336.jpg
IMG_0337.jpg

RoyalGreenJacket

On ROPS
On ROPs
Excellent pic of Bombay Street in Belfast then, and now will bring back memories for many:

1566229319765.png

Speaking of TV looking back, this looks to be of interest, from the Belfast Telegraph.

There's to be a documentary "The Day Mountbatten Was Murdered" (or similar title) on 25 August, the 40th anniversary of the crime.

The news broke in my mess courtesy of our tallest (and nearly most junior) mess member, on the afternoon before we started NITAT training for an 18 month resident Bn tour that would finish just before Bobby Sands got his Weight Watchers award.

We laffed it off at first. Then (courtesy of BFBS) the story from Warrenpoint began to unfold.

It was a very thoughtful 2RRF that set off to STC the following day.

Last edited:
Zoom in on the top of Divis Tower and you can see me giving you a V sign! :)

Having had a second look though, that doesn’t look like Divis Tower to me?

Second edit. Having looked again, yes I think it is Divis Tower.
Pretty sure that’s Divis Tower!

Pretty sure that’s Divis Tower!
I agree because firstly as far as I could recall, I was there in 1973, there was wasn’t another building that tall anywhere near Divis.

Secondly, a comparison with other more recent photos of the tower on the internet show that your picture is of the Divis Tower.

What initially threw me was that the black and white photo looked like it had balconies running on either side of the building and the lift housing on the top looked quite large.

A combination of distance and shadows meant my old eye’s had to do a double take. :)

Some more insight into the "Peace process". Once again highlights how difficult it was to please everybody, when pretty much everything would be deemed as a slight to one side or the other.
Also seems as though the Republic wanted de militarisation to happen rather too quickly!

I particularly like this little snippet:

The previously confidential documents also show that the Northern Ireland Tourist Board (NITB) suggested asking the European Union to help fund the redesign of border security checkpoints.
The issue was raised with the British government by the chairman of the NITB, Sir Hugh O'Neill, on 9 May 1990.
Writing to the NIO under-secretary, Richard Needham, Sir Hugh expressed concern at "the intimidating appearance of the surface entry points into NI from the Republic".
Mr Needham indicated that a refurbishment programme had been agreed costing £50,000 per checkpoint.
Noting that most visitors entered Northern Ireland from the Republic of Ireland, Sir Hugh asked if more could be done on the border "so as to give a more friendly welcome to the visitor".

If only they had told us. We could have planted a few pot plants by the Golf and Romeo towers or maybe painted Baruki sanger in a nice shade of fuscia!

If only they had told us. We could have planted a few pot plants by the Golf and Romeo towers or maybe painted Baruki sanger in a nice shade of fuscia!
A nice little sign by the border crossings, 'Professional snipers at work.'

A nice little sign by the border crossings, 'Professional snipers at work.'
I wonder how many successful engagements were carried out by Army/RM snipers? I've heard of the well known 3 RGJ incident in the 'Murph Bullring resulting in the deaths of Jim Bryson and Paddy Mulvenna but can't recall any others although there must have been some.

Latest Threads