Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Must have been a Fusilier thing:wink:
I don't think Queen's Regt were any different, on which basis I would point out the interesting correlation between the lack of a cultural propensity for obsessing about such things, and your old mob's propensity to produce Generals

I guess it's something to do with knowing what's really important :wink:

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Of those four in the bottom photo, the C11 which two parts? I remember having two radios of which both consisted of two parts.
C13 (HF) and C42 (VHF) were the norm before Clansman. C45 for C42 I was told in RA. Slightly different VHF range I think.

I don't think Queen's Regt were any different, on which basis I would point out the interesting correlation between the lack of a cultural propensity for obsessiin abut such things, and your old mob's propensity to produce Generals

I guess it's something to do with knowing what's really important :wink:
I think you're probably right - I do seem to remember a Queen's Regt fixation with wearing a blue cravat that translated itself to the CCF in the early 70s.....

Still got my Helly Hansen,great bit of kit. A mate gave it to me when he got out,cheers Robbo.
And you're right about the other bit,if you look up 'b******t' in the dictionary it says see The Fusiliers.
It's a pretty poor dictionary then.

It should read 1st Battalion The Grenadier Guards.

Trust me on this, the worst of our lot were amateurs by comparison, IMHO.

Ah Brampton happy memories of the rugby club and wraf block
Went to a party at the rugby club - my wife and I cycled back to the patch very late at night through Brampton village. At some point we collided and fell of the bikes... :drunken:

ugly

LE
I was convinced that Recce Mech were dedicated to recovering Recce Pln from Catterick as thats what they seemed to spend an awful lot of time doing!

I expect you remember another bogging when your curiosity led us up a track to, what appeared to be, a derelict single story building on the reverse slope of a hill off the Dungannon/Aughnacloy road. At the time Int was screaming about a big event/bomb that was due to happen on that road so lots of route clearing and culvert checks.
Sadly "Baz" decided to find the only boggy bit of grass right outside the tin roofed buildings front door. While we went through a well rehearsed self recovery routine attempts were made to see if anyone was living in the hovel. Eventually the door was opened by a very dirty old man dressed only in a filthy "white" vest and it was clear that he was very well endowed and his modest attire hid nothing. Mouthing hurried apologies about the mess we mounted up and continued with the rest of the rural patrol.
A couple of days later on another rural mobile patrol we heard the codeword "Red Fox" (or something like that) indicating that our very successful search section had, on a "Womble", found something. We were immediately re-tasked to provide the cordon and much to our surprise found ourselves back at the scene of our most recent bogging. We must have spooked the old chap as it transpired that he was the local PIRA QM and had been replacing gorse covering the access point to a drainage ditch over which had been laid scaffolding planks supporting apple barrels containing 900lbs of Anfo in 5lb bags. Further down the ditch there was a box hide with command wire, dets, bell pushes and other oddments. Thankfully PIRA`s big event/bomb scuppered.
The Army works in mysterious ways.

When we got there we were told one of the threats we faced were landmines in culverts and we spent some time de-bussed from our mobile patrols clearing the fields for command wires before checking the culverts.

Given the then current intel and finds I was baffled when we were ordered to un-spike the culverts on our area.
PhotoEditor_20190614_113723165.jpg

Tony Jeapes coming as CLF (iirc 85ish) made oi larf cos he'd been my old mans troop commander with the desmonds in Malaya. Two generations same family, same gaffer was somewhat cool in our long standing military service family.

On another note, the pic above of the culvert pipe. Near where I live on the Wirral is a local nature park where we walk the dog now & again, there are culverts every 40-50m along a 200-300m long stretch of path. I always, always get a tremor of fear & nervousness walking over them. Its a feeling i cannot ever shake for some reason. Happens anywhere i see culverts/drainage pipes & the like.

The Troubles were rooted in a lack of prosperity, with disenfranchisement and abuse of minority civil rights overlaid on it to make the misery worse.

Any government seeking to end The Troubles by mere force, woulda been shooting the campaign in both feet, every single day.

That it was possible to see improvement happening ( esp. if your tour intervals were relatively long) was one of the most encouraging things, for me.

Not to say that any government ever expressed this as a formally structured written plan, but for my money, most - even Maggie's - understood it, and worked towards it.

Without it, what had Republican/Catholic folk to lose? Livelihoods? Prospects?
@pcar964 - if you really think that post worthy of a 'dumb' flag, it would be interesting to hear you explain why.

The Troubles were rooted in a lack of prosperity, with disenfranchisement and abuse of minority civil rights overlaid on it to make the misery worse.
That's a Left, SJW and PIRA myth repeated ad-nauseam by the gullible anti-British BBC so often it's become an accepted truth - like Global Warming, Evil Plastic etc

In many ways NI was more prosperous than GB and did not have the slum dwellings many in GB lived in during 60s/70s

Even in 1940s, NI did not have the food shortages GB had.

I watched the BBC "Back in Time for..." series and often thought "Wasn't like that in NI, we had a better life". My mother and her siblings watched and agree.

Mother born 1940; me early 60s

"Disenfranchisement"? Where?

GE: all of age could vote. Local Elections: all of age Rate Payers could vote - not paying tax = no vote; seems fair.

That's a Left, SJW and PIRA myth repeated ad-nauseam by the gullible anti-British BBC so often it's become an accepted truth - like Global Warming, Evil Plastic etc

In many ways NI was more prosperous than GB and did not have the slum dwellings many in GB lived in during 60s/70s

I watched the BBC "Back in Time for..." series and often thought "Wasn't like that in NI, we had a better life". My mother and her siblings watched and agree.

GE: all of age could vote. Local Elections: all of age Rate Payers could vote - not paying tax = no vote; seems fair.
Gottit.

You're a Nulster Prod, raised in 'the bubble' :-D

Tony Jeapes coming as CLF (iirc 85ish) made oi larf cos he'd been my old mans troop commander with the desmonds in Malaya. Two generations same family, same gaffer was somewhat cool in our long standing military service family.

On another note, the pic above of the culvert pipe. Near where I live on the Wirral is a local nature park where we walk the dog now & again, there are culverts every 40-50m along a 200-300m long stretch of path. I always, always get a tremor of fear & nervousness walking over them. Its a feeling i cannot ever shake for some reason. Happens anywhere i see culverts/drainage pipes & the like.
I understand that. I don't get twitchy but I do always have a glance if I cross a culvert.
Old habits and all that.

Your blinkered view explains eloquently what prompted the civil rights movement in the 1960s and why the IRA found it so easy to drum up support.
I suspect most white South Africans of a certain generation would say the same about apartheid SA.

Your blinkered view explains eloquently what prompted the civil rights movement in the 1960s and why the IRA found it so easy to drum up support.
I suspect most white South Africans of a certain generation would say the same about apartheid SA.
Indeed.

"Can't understand what those uppity blecks think they've got to gripe about" kinda thing :-D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10