Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

All I I've got. Two searches teams, I was perimeter cordon on Carn Hill.
The MP40 (@Stonker) was found as noted loaded, clocked under the bed. We never found out why but the barrel is fitted upside down. If you look carefully, the police label is attached to the foresight. Not the Shantallow, got that place on my mind, keep thinking of the Pub search we did there.
IMG_20190612_180137.jpg
IMG_0538.JPG

Sh1t, that brought me up short.

Just checked 'Lost Lives'.

December 14, 1974.
David James McNeice,
RUC, 19

Michael Edward Gibson
Royal Green Jackets, 20
Rfn Michael Gibson (Gibbo) was a promising young Green Jacket which was one of the reasons he was placed in the int section. He was on the advance party when the ambush happened and he was very seriously wounded.

The CSM would come around the sleeping quarters at XMG a couple of times a week in the morning, poke his head around the door and update us on his condition. I still recall the morning not long before Christmas when he came in and told us that “Gibbo” had lost his fight and was gone.

During that tour, sadly after the incident when Gibbo was wounded on the advance party, whenever anybody went out on the ground in similar circumstances, we always provided some form of protection for them. I sometimes wonder if the main party had been in situ, the ambush might not have happened but that’s pure conjecture on my part.

Last edited:
Rfn Michael Gibson (Gibbo) was a promising young Green Jacket which was one of the reasons he was placed in the int section. He was on the advance party when the ambush happened and he was very seriously wounded.

The CSM would come around the sleeping quarters at XMG a couple of times a week in the morning, poke his head around the door and update us on his condition. I still recall the morning not long before Christmas when he came in and told us that “Gibbo” had lost his fight and was gone.

During that tour, sadly after the incident when Gibbo was wounded on the advance party, whenever anybody went out on the ground in similar circumstances, we always provided some form of protection for them. I sometimes wonder if the main party had been in situ, the ambush might not have happened but that’s pure conjecture on my part.
Gave that a 'Like'

Inadequate doesn't begin to describe that as a response.

I hope there's some comfort in the notion that he was unequivocally defending his country.

Beyond that, I have no words good enough.

When we got to Armagh we joined other elements of our regiment at the Worcester Valve Factory on the edge of town. We had our Christmas dinner here.
Our HQ and other troops were at Gough Barracks.

Again we patrolled the rural area around Armagh city in land rovers and helicopters. (when we weren't in the sangers)

I think it was from here some of us had trips out with RUC SPG in their armoured land rovers.

m5 HLS gough~3.jpg
img152~2.jpg
img188.jpg
img193.jpg
img180~2.jpg
PhotoEditor_20190612_163010622.jpg
img173~2.jpg

ugly

LE
Have a close look. The MP40s foresight is quite distinctive.
Indeed its a typichal teutonic technical thing, fit a hooded foresight protector. I have never seen one fitted upside down though, less paddy and more Geordie!

eed its a typichal teutonic technical thing, fit a hooded foresight protector. I have never seen one fitted upside down though, less paddy and more Geordie!
I'm gonna guess that the barrel assembly is a twist-to fit thingy held in place by locking shoulders or lugs, and the techie teutonic types didn't think it necessary to squaddie-proof the thingy by making the lugs slightly assymetrical . . . .

ugly

LE
I'm gonna guess that the barrel assembly is a twist-to fit thingy held in place by locking shoulders or lugs, and the techie teutonic types didn't think it necessary to squaddie-proof the thingy by making the lugs slightly assymetrical . . . .
Guess away, Ive never stripped one down at all!

Indeed its a typichal teutonic technical thing, fit a hooded foresight protector. I have never seen one fitted upside down though, less paddy and more Geordie!
There is a bit of film on YT of a Provo funeral. One of the t**s is using an old French (?) SMG with the barrel clearly fitted upside down.
I’ve just recalled something someone said back then. It was done so it’d only fire single shot.
Wasteofrations, just mentioned an old froggie SMG, single shots fired over the grave???

There are, of course, countries that can fcuk up more than the Irish though:

1560426636784.png

Courtesy of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta in Nigeria a few years ago. Good DPM though.

They probably had an SOP that if You assembled it incorrectly, You were taken out and shot. ;)

ugly

LE
I’ve just recalled something someone said back then. It was done so it’d only fire single shot.
Wasteofrations, just mentioned an old froggie SMG, single shots fired over the grave???
maybe, if it was a MAS 38, my only experience with French smgs is limited to a very brief lesson on the MAT49. I liked it a lot!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10