Op Banner photos - some memories for the old and bold

Peperhaps that's what the screws were thinking when they decided to leave you out on the streets on your own.
The f***wits.
Some Army skills did kick in.
I could have stood smartly to attention outside the gate like a guardsman at the palace but that's not my style.

Quick ground appreciation revealed no cover between the building and the railings along the road but there was a bus shelter just outside and that was the place for me. That's what people do, stand at bus stops.
You can probably still see my fingernail marks where I was trying to blend in with the metalwork.

Some Army skills did kick in.
I could have stood smartly to attention outside the gate like a guardsman at the palace but that's not my style.

Quick ground appreciation revealed no cover between the building and the railings along the road but there was a bus shelter just outside and that was the place for me. That's what people do, stand at bus stops.
You can probably still see my fingernail marks where I was trying to blend in with the metalwork.
Still . . . you had 'that' rifle. You weren't alone.

How many rounds? (Awaiting the 'it only takes 1' response.) Wooden or black furniture?
Must have been a changeover point. Mine was black plastic and others, even in our section were all wood. There was a fair few half and half. Must have driven a few drill SNCO's nuts.
PhotoEditor_20190610_110619083.jpg

I think we always had 2 X 20rds and cannot recall having more than that unless I chose to take a GPMG or I was in a Ferret.

Must have been a changeover point. Mine was black plastic and others, even in our section were all wood. There was a fair few half and half. Must have driven a few drill SNCO's nuts.
View attachment 398209

I think we always had 2 X 20rds and cannot recall having more than that unless I chose to take a GPMG or I was in a Ferret.
Always a comfort to see a wall propped up by a couple of loaded weapons.

Good drills.

I think we had only been at Newcastle 4-6 weeks when we were told we were getting re-deployed. I got on well with the RUC especially the ones my age.
We started to say our goodbyes and one told me he had been transferred to Forkhill and he said he didn't expect to live more than a week.

When I got to Armagh I read a telex reporting he had been shot dead in an ambush.
RIP Jim McNeice. Proper remembered.
Rfn Michael Gibson also died of his wounds. He had been doing what we were doing, sitting in the back of the police car.

img171.jpg
img175.jpg
PhotoEditor_20190612_162540132.jpg

ugly

LE
Both my ground tours (Belfast/XMG) were dry.

My first tour in Belfast was fairly dry, apart from the whole pln getting lagered up on Charger lager when the Pln Sgt announced his wife was pregnant. Even the RUC joined in and cancelled the night patrol.
My last day in uniform was in XMG and the choggy had gone and was replaced by the EFI bloke that ran our coy bar in the falklands a few years before. On finding out it was my last night he locked up and we demolished a crate of newcastle brown and I dont recall paying. Top bloke!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My first tour in Belfast was fairly dry, apart from the whole pln getting lagered up on Charger lager when the Pln Sgt announced his wife was pregnant. Even the RUC joined in and cancelled the night patrol.
My last day in uniform was in XMG and the choggy had gone and was replaced by the EFI bloke that ran our coy bar in the falklands a few years before. On finding out it was my last night he locked up and we demolished a crate of newcastle brown and I dont recall paying. Top bloke!
I seem to recall all my tours were dry, apart from one in somewhere near Long Kesh, when we had a 3 day R&R in Newcastle, at the Slieve Donard hotel. That got a wee bit messy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14
sirbhp Old & Bold 1
J Old & Bold 10